Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:42 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times

Advertisements

Let's make things simple, if one parent is white and one parent is black African, and they have two kids. One is very light skinned looking almost white and one is very dark like the African parent. If a DNA test is done, is it possible that the white looking kid shows significantly more than 50% European (like over 70%) and the darker kid shows less than 20% European DNA?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:56 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Yes. My sister is very african looking and im blond haired blue eyed. However our DNA is very similar.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Yes. My sister is very african looking and im blond haired blue eyed. However our DNA is very similar.
If you and your sister's DNA is very similar, wouldn't your answer be "no," instead of "yes."

Old 05-13-2016, 09:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Perhaps. But African is very relative. Most east Africans have lots of European DNA to begin with.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:29 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Let's make things simple, if one parent is white and one parent is black African, and they have two kids. One is very light skinned looking almost white and one is very dark like the African parent. If a DNA test is done, is it possible that the white looking kid shows significantly more than 50% European (like over 70%) and the darker kid shows less than 20% European DNA?
Every child inherits 50% of their DNA from each parent. That's a fact and it doesn't vary. We don't necessarily inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent but if one parent is 100% African and the other 100% European, I would except each child's ethnicity to be about 50/50 Europe/Africa on the ethnicity report. But since most African-Americans are not 100% African, in reality, you tend to see more variation, because they're getting different amount from their grandparents. Ethnicity reports are only an estimate though. Europeans and Africans don't share much DNA so there's usually not much risk of very much DNA from the European side showing up under Africa or vice versa, but it's also not impossible. I would only expect it to vary by a few percentages for someone who has one 100% African parent though, definitely not by 20-30%.

But that really has nothing to do with appearance. Genetics are complex and there's always dominant/recessiveness to consider. As you age, genes you have can become "active" or "inactive" - for example, my brother was blonder than blonde until he was about 5 and it started going darker. Ever since, he's had very dark brown hair. You say let's make it simple but unfortunately it's not that simple.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:47 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
The DNA used to estimate ethnicity is not the DNA that codes for the way we look.

Obviously full siblings can look very different. Just check out all the families you know. Do all the boys in a family look the same and all the girls look the same? No.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Every child inherits 50% of their DNA from each parent. That's a fact and it doesn't vary. We don't necessarily inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent.
Do you see why I can't take your post seriously?

Old 05-14-2016, 03:05 PM

Let me rephrase my question to make it a Yes or No answer:

Can two full blooded siblings have DNA test done and one turn out to have more European DNA than the other? ( I am not talking about 50% vs. 52%. I am talking about 50% vs. 72%).

Old 05-14-2016, 04:41 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
She was absolutely right. You get 50% from each parent. Where the sibling variation comes in, is that your parent passes down a different RECOMBINATION of THEIR parents' DNA to their offspring. So let's say your father is 100% European, and your mother's mother was 100% European, and her father was 100% African. Each egg your mother produces will contain a different combination of her parents' DNA. One egg might be 50/50, another might be 40% European and 60% African, another might be 35% African and 65% European, etc. You do the math.

If one parent is 100% European, and the other 100% African, then their children will all be 50% European and 50% African. This doesn't mean they will have the same skin color. It's not like mixing chocolate with milk.

And I almost forgot:

Old 05-14-2016, 08:16 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you find the facts so difficult to accept but it's simple math. For example, you get 50% from your father - but due to recombination, you may get 20% from your paternal grandfather and 30% from your paternal grandmother. That adds up to the 50% you got from your father, but you didn't get exactly 25% from each grandparent. The same applies to your mother's side.

Here's some articles to help explain it:

Analyze your child’s DNA: Which grandparents are most genetically related?

"But this is not just abstract theorizing. Imagine that you could know that 22 percent of the genome of your child derives from your mother, and 28 percent from your father. Also imagine that you know that 23 percent of the genome of your child derives from your partner’s mother, and 27 percent derives from your partner’s father. And you could know exactly how closely your child is related to each of its uncles and aunts. This isn’t imaginary science fiction, it is science fact."

Note the charts on this one and the varying amounts of centimorgans a grandparent/grandchild might share, showing a grandchild doesn't get the same amount from each grandparent: The Shared cM Project – An Update – The Genetic Genealogist

Quote:
Can two full blooded siblings have DNA test done and one turn out to have more European DNA than the other? ( I am not talking about 50% vs. 52%. I am talking about 50% vs. 72%).
That's a different question from what you originally asked. The answer to this question is yes.

The answer to your original question of whether this could happen with one 100% European parent and one 100% African parent is no. And I did already tell you this (I specifically said "I would only expect it to vary by a few percentages for someone who has one 100% African parent though, definitely not by 20-30%") but you were obviously too wrapped up in not believing the known, scientific facts and being rude and patronizing towards me to notice. Maybe you shouldn't be so arrogant when you don't know what you're talking about.

You're welcome for answering your questions despite your completely uncalled for nastiness towards me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy