Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 08:35 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times

Advertisements

I've seen several references where my ggg grandfather was in the civil war. I'm trying to find out what side he fought on. I don't know his middle name. He was in Kentucky and he inherited/owned slaves. I've found that doesn't necessarily mean he fought for the confederacy. Someplace I saw a note that a brother fought for the Union, but don't have more info than that.

If I go to the https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm and type in his name and state, I get four hits for the confederacy and five for the union. Is there a way to narrow this down more without requesting all nine records? i know his wife's name, his father's name, and his birth date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:57 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
The nps.gov site doesn't have all of the listings that they should have. I've found that a few states, such as Alabama, have their own Civil War soldiers sites, and seem to be more complete.

For Kentucky, you might consider looking at this site regarding Confederate Pensions:

https://dspace.kdla.ky.gov/xmlui/handle/10602/2375

Old 09-07-2016, 12:52 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
There is also some Civil War era info available through familysearch.org. You could try the index of Civil War solidiers first, but may run into the same issue you did with multiple hits: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1910717. I'd run a separate search with just his name and his wife's name of all of the collections on that site as well, so you can pull up more identifying info about him.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Thanks! I'll check those out.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Fold3.com also has Civil War records available.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:22 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
he could of fought for both sides

Old 09-07-2016, 04:48 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Union soldiers who were disabled & also Union soldiers' widows were eligible for pensions. You may find info searching his wife's name. Pension cards list the regiment.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've seen several references where my ggg grandfather was in the civil war. I'm trying to find out what side he fought on. I don't know his middle name. He was in Kentucky and he inherited/owned slaves. I've found that doesn't necessarily mean he fought for the confederacy. Someplace I saw a note that a brother fought for the Union, but don't have more info than that.

If I go to the https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm and type in his name and state, I get four hits for the confederacy and five for the union. Is there a way to narrow this down more without requesting all nine records? i know his wife's name, his father's name, and his birth date.
If he fought for the union, it was most likely the Army of the Ohio/Army of the Cumberland.

If you have the brother's name, run that to get a regiment. Then check to see if you have a regiment match with the results for your ggg-grandfather's name.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If he fought for the union, it was most likely the Army of the Ohio/Army of the Cumberland.

If you have the brother's name, run that to get a regiment. Then check to see if you have a regiment match with the results for your ggg-grandfather's name.
Sometimes the most obvious is the best. I looked up his brother again. He served in the Union Army was a private in Company K 8th Kentucky Regiment. I searched that with my ancestor's name and have a hit. I still need to prove this is my person, but it's a good guess.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Sometimes the most obvious is the best. I looked up his brother again. He served in the Union Army was a private in Company K 8th Kentucky Regiment. I searched that with my ancestor's name and have a hit. I still need to prove this is my person, but it's a good guess.
One of my gg-grandmothers had 6 brothers in the Union Army. 3 were in the 30th Indiana (Infantry). That's why I suggested that the brothers might be in the same regiment. That was actually pretty darned normal in that war.

If you're talking the 8th Kentucky (infantry) they were in the Army of the Ohio/Army of the Cumberland & were in the battles that most of my people were in.

If your ancestors & their relatives in the Army of the Cumberland were very good craftsmen, they stood a chance of being assigned to the Pioneer Brigade. pioneer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy