Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:28 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here looked through your ancestor names to try and find clues about their origins, by looking at the first names, if you can't really learn much by looking at only their surnames? Example, finding a name such as Carlos in a family tree might be a hint of Spanish ancestry. Finding many first names spelled with a K instead of C might hint toward German ancestry. People tend to carry on first names of people in their family or from their cultural heritage, so even if they have last names that were changed or Anglicized when they came to Ellis Island, they might still use ethnic first names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:28 AM

32,649 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It might be helpful, but I've got ancestors that I know for certain that the spelling of their name was changed when they entered America. With other ancestors, the spelling might have been changed or it might not. No way to find out.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:29 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
That is why I think it might be more helpful to look at first names rather than last names for clues of someone's heritage.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:55 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
That is why I think it might be more helpful to look at first names rather than last names for clues of someone's heritage.
That works up to a point. I have a family with absolutely no Spanish heritage, but several children were given names with Spanish origins that were in vogue in the 19th century. If you find an ethnic name, look at census records in the area to see if other children are being given the same name.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I have German and Irish ancestors who followed some naming patterns that helped identify the earlier generations....but not always. My dad's baptismal name was Otto Emil Phillip John which corresponds to his dad, paternal aunt (Emilie), maternal grandfather and maternal great-uncle (and uncle). The Irish ancestors seemed very rigid with using ancestor names but when a child died they reused the name for the next one born...helpful but also confusing. They also were a little casual in spelling the names -- Miles vs. Myles, Edward vs. Edmund.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:56 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Carlos is a name that has been used by Anglo-Americans and African Americans for a long time. The actor Chuck Norris was born Carlos Norris, there are many other examples. Juanita is probably the most common Spanish name that made its way into the general population (less common now).

I was surprised when I found out my grandmother, who we always knew as Emily on all her current documentation, and used the nickname "Emmie", had "Emilia" on her birth certificate. Her parents were born in the US to German immigrants. The name Emilia was common in her family tree.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Carlos is a name that has been used by Anglo-Americans and African Americans for a long time. The actor Chuck Norris was born Carlos Norris, there are many other examples. Juanita is probably the most common Spanish name that made its way into the general population (less common now).

I was surprised when I found out my grandmother, who we always knew as Emily on all her current documentation, and used the nickname "Emmie", had "Emilia" on her birth certificate. Her parents were born in the US to German immigrants. The name Emilia was common in her family tree.
I'm talking about names like Inez & Dolores. I've got an Inez in 19th century Michigan. Several ethnic names were in that family, including her grandmother, Arminda, born in upstate NY circa 1800. Over a period of time, I noticed other Armindas in census records, all about the same age, all born in NY.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM

153 posts, read 138,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have German and Irish ancestors who followed some naming patterns that helped identify the earlier generations....but not always. My dad's baptismal name was Otto Emil Phillip John which corresponds to his dad, paternal aunt (Emilie), maternal grandfather and maternal great-uncle (and uncle). The Irish ancestors seemed very rigid with using ancestor names but when a child died they reused the name for the next one born...helpful but also confusing. They also were a little casual in spelling the names -- Miles vs. Myles, Edward vs. Edmund.
Since my father's side came from Northern Ireland, my experience with first names has focused primarily on Irish customs. SunGrins, I learned something from your post, something I'd puzzled over in my genealogy research, and that is the Irish practice of using a deceased child's name for the next child born. I'd suspected as much, but was never certain. Thank you for the info. I also wondered about the spelling of names and how much thought went into such, but you answered that question for me, too. Thanks again. (My one grandmother, whose parents came from Ireland, was named Christine, and her middle name was "Maryland:" Obviously, her mother was shooting for "Marilyn," but her casual approach brought about the incorrect proper name.)

Speaking of the Irish, for those who are beginning to explore their Irish heritage and feel a bit baffled as I was early on in the search, some other little things worth noting are:

The first born son is usually named after the father's father, whereas the first-born daughter is named after the mother's mother. The second-born son takes the name of the mother's father, and the second-born daughter is named after the father's mother. And so on.

Also, in Ireland, Catholics have quite predictable first names all the way back as far as your research will take you. Children are usually named after saints, and there are hundreds of thousands of the same names: John, James, Mary, Margaret, and so on. Enough of the same names to produce overwhelmingly similar results when conducting a search.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 PM

153 posts, read 138,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That works up to a point. I have a family with absolutely no Spanish heritage, but several children were given names with Spanish origins that were in vogue in the 19th century. If you find an ethnic name, look at census records in the area to see if other children are being given the same name.
And sometimes a complete search will reveal an answer to the mystery:

My ex-husband's maternal side descended from the infamous Hatfield family of W. Virginia.
Although they were of English descent, for some reason my ex-husband's Hatfield grandfather insisted on naming his youngest daughter, Juana. No family connection as far as anyone could see at first. Upon further research, however, it was discovered the family had a "Gonzalez" way back in their family tree. So, in a way, the name, "Juana" made sense.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,683 times
My mom's name was Inez Rosita, she was named after a friend of my grandmother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy