Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times

Advertisements

So they had a freebie and I did it. Got a long, long report with several contradictions. (At risk for this, in another place, no risk). But generally all is pretty correct. Long life. (My mom lived to 102). High BP, gout, arthritis, late age dementia, no Parkinsons, breast cancer +(yes I had it) and some highly technical stuff I will have to look up.

Was a good diversion while I wait for the plumber to fix the toilet. Anyone else do it? Or is everyone else not wanting to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
Mine had 12 different indicators for various kinds of cancer. (Everyone else in my family has already died of various cancers.) It also said I would have a later-in-life sudden peanut allergy. (Yep, I did.)

Wish I could have gotten the long life one. But on the plus side, nothing about blood pressure, gout, dementia or anything else.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Mine had 12 different indicators for various kinds of cancer. (Everyone else in my family has already died of various cancers.) It also said I would have a later-in-life sudden peanut allergy. (Yep, I did.)

Wish I could have gotten the long life one. But on the plus side, nothing about blood pressure, gout, dementia or anything else.
Oh you are lucky. Several things, like macular degeneration and stroke also in my genes. And I am NOT the O blood type. Guess that's an anomaly too. Whatever that means.... I was going to send it to my son, but I think he would freak out and tell me I probably gave him all that stuff in his genes. He is a health nut.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:06 PM

661 posts, read 880,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
So they had a freebie and I did it. Got a long, long report with several contradictions. (At risk for this, in another place, no risk). But generally all is pretty correct. Long life. (My mom lived to 102). High BP, gout, arthritis, late age dementia, no Parkinsons, breast cancer +(yes I had it) and some highly technical stuff I will have to look up.

Was a good diversion while I wait for the plumber to fix the toilet. Anyone else do it? Or is everyone else not wanting to know?
My eyes color are wrong at Promethease, I have light brown eyes, but Promethease says I have blue eyes.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
My eyes color are wrong at Promethease, I have light brown eyes, but Promethease says I have blue eyes.
Most probably, you have several genes associated with eye color and some of them say blue, some say brown. What it means is you have genes for blue eyes but since this is a recessive gene and you also got genes for brown eyes and brown eyes are dominant, you have brown eyes. My reports are the same way. It doesn't make Promethease "wrong" - you're probably just not interpreting it correctly. Make sure you click on "2x more" at the bottom to be sure you've seen ALL the reports for that topic, and also click on and read the "more info" link when possible.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
So they had a freebie and I did it. Got a long, long report with several contradictions. (At risk for this, in another place, no risk).
The magnitude will give you some idea about which one might be more important when you have contradictory reports. The higher the magnitude, the more noteworthy it should be: https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Magnitude - However, you should definitely take it to a doctor for a better explanation.

Sometimes, I even use the slider bar on the right to filter out any magnitudes under 2 or 3, if I want to see the most important reports. They are less contradictory that way. If I untick "not set" and increase the magnitude to 3, I get 25 reports. Only one is "good", lol.

Quote:
But generally all is pretty correct. Long life. (My mom lived to 102). High BP, gout, arthritis, late age dementia, no Parkinsons, breast cancer +(yes I had it) and some highly technical stuff I will have to look up.
Definitely click on the "more info" link when available and read through the info. Sometimes it's too technical but sometimes it can be informative and include other associated conditions not listed in the summary.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The magnitude will give you some idea about which one might be more important when you have contradictory reports. The higher the magnitude, the more noteworthy it should be: https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Magnitude - However, you should definitely take it to a doctor for a better explanation.

Sometimes, I even use the slider bar on the right to filter out any magnitudes under 2 or 3, if I want to see the most important reports. They are less contradictory that way. If I untick "not set" and increase the magnitude to 3, I get 25 reports. Only one is "good", lol.

Definitely click on the "more info" link when available and read through the info. Sometimes it's too technical but sometimes it can be informative and include other associated conditions not listed in the summary.
You are assuming I want more in depth information on this stuff. LOL I think I will stop at what I have gotten so I don't scare myself to death. All of it is "iffy" anyway and whether it happens or not, it's up to the will of God, not me.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Most probably, you have several genes associated with eye color and some of them say blue, some say brown. What it means is you have genes for blue eyes but since this is a recessive gene and you also got genes for brown eyes and brown eyes are dominant, you have brown eyes. My reports are the same way. It doesn't make Promethease "wrong" - you're probably just not interpreting it correctly. Make sure you click on "2x more" at the bottom to be sure you've seen ALL the reports for that topic, and also click on and read the "more info" link when possible.
Ok, thanks.
Two of my grand parents have blue eyes.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:45 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:

Thanks so much! I was just telling my sister in law about the site yesterday.

Does anyone know if they do Cystic Fibrosis? Want to have my daughters nana tested to see if she carries the gene. Her oldest daughter carries the gene but she has a different father then my ex, so we're trying to figure out where it came from.

Promethease

Holiday Gift from Promethease: all uploads are free through the end of December 2017. See FAQ.
Promethease/Free Runs 2017

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-14-2017 at 06:15 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks so much! I was just telling my sister in law about the site yesterday.

Does anyone know if they do Cystic Fibrosis? Want to have my daughters nana tested to see if she carries the gene. Her oldest daughter carries the gene but she has a different father then my ex, so we're trying to figure out where it came from.

Promethease

Holiday Gift from Promethease: all uploads are free through the end of December 2017. See FAQ.
Promethease/Free Runs 2017
Yes, Promethease has Cystic Fibrosis analysis of your data.
Here is what I got. My Rs213950 (A;G) slight chance
rs213950, a SNP in the cystic fibrosis CFTR gene, has been reported in a large study to be associated with type-1 diabetes. In an expanded follow-up study of >6,000 controls and 6,000 patients, the heterozygote odds ratio for this SNP was recalculated to be 1.09 (CI 1.04–1.15). [OMIM:CFTR POLYMORPHISM] ... more info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy