Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 05:46 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times

Advertisements

Born 1895 and died before late 1966. Full birth name known, married name known (possibly married more than once). Parents names known.

What is not known and is needed is when and where did they die. Even if they died in another state there still should be divorce records. Marriage records likely of no value except maybe the locations where the man and woman lived at the time of marriage.

What sources are there since the state library can not find death records and out of over 1 million state death records the person is not listed. This points to death in another state.

If that is true then there was likely a divorce and the new married name is not known thus searching the s.s. death index is likely futile. Not everyone even makes the index.
All that would be known is birth name and birth date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 08:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Born 1895 and died before late 1966. Full birth name known, married name known (possibly married more than once). Parents names known.

What is not known and is needed is when and where did they die. Even if they died in another state there still should be divorce records. Marriage records likely of no value except maybe the locations where the man and woman lived at the time of marriage.

What sources are there since the state library can not find death records and out of over 1 million state death records the person is not listed. This points to death in another state.

If that is true then there was likely a divorce and the new married name is not known thus searching the s.s. death index is likely futile. Not everyone even makes the index.
All that would be known is birth name and birth date.
Here are two databases to try:

If you have her exact birthdate, than you can search SSDI for anyone with her first name born on that month, day & year.
https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3693

You can leave surname blank.

If her first name is a very common one than this trick may give you an impossible number of names to research.

You can also limit the search by state.

Also, try U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=60901
I've found some applications that list ladies married names (all of them!)
Some in this list have tons of info, some little.

Try searching by maiden name, and any married name you know.

If you don't have an Ancestry subscription than remember Ancestry is available on many public libraries for free.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:08 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Howard, you couldn’t be even vaguer in your post if you tried. Are you looking for a male or female or both? When were he/she/they last known to be alive? What states do you know they lived in.

Marriage record could help if it lists the names of the parents. An obituary of a parent would probably tell you if the child was alive at the time of the parent’s death and maybe a new surname of a daughter if remarried.

Have you searched for a grave on findagrave?

Old 12-28-2017, 12:40 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
If the death date was 1966 that is recent. You should have relatives that you can ask.

If I were you I'd contact any relatives that were alive when your ancestor died.
See if they have any other information like what religion, military service, where they lived, who they worked for.
If you can target a state you can write for a death certificate. They search within 10 years. What you get out of this death certificate is confirmation for where he/she was born, parents names, where he lived, occupation, and what he/she died from.

Keep in mind the death certificate is only as good as the person submitting the information.

The death certificate gives you confirmation and a better idea of where to search for the birth certificate. Before you do that you could check some census records. Those will have family groupings and more information on where everyone was from. Again, the information is as good as the person that submitted it and how well the clerk was that wrote everything out. There can be mistakes.

Birth certificates are easy to access, they just get costly. There is a form to submit to them or maybe they have something online. They will search for a few years. You can do your research by checking to see if the state has records for the year you're checking. IE: Some southern cities had fires in their courthouses. .. Lost records. If a state was a colony one, their records will go back farther than say a newer state. It's been ages since I wrote for one but I'm thinking 1910 is about right although I know I wrote PA for records earlier than that.

A source most forget about is the Daughters of the American Revolution. Their library houses genealogy records for anyone, not just patriots and their descendants. They have a wealth of research and it's free.

Since your person lived rather recently, there should be an obit in the newspaper.
And you should check online. My brother has the genealogy bug and has facebook pages set up on some of our ancestors. So yeah if you have the name, do a social media search. You never know what you'll find. Maybe you have a third cousin that has all sorts of information.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Howard, you couldn’t be even vaguer in your post if you tried. Are you looking for a male or female or both? When were he/she/they last known to be alive? What states do you know they lived in.

Marriage record could help if it lists the names of the parents. An obituary of a parent would probably tell you if the child was alive at the time of the parent’s death and maybe a new surname of a daughter if remarried.

Have you searched for a grave on findagrave?
Female, last known to be alive = 1928 when her last child was born, we know she were born and her first marriage was in CT. There might have been a 2nd marriage but we do not know.

We are well ahead of that stage of searching as far as Find a Grave.

Female born 1895 and died "before" late 1966.
Born in CT, married in CT, was mentioned in her husband's obituary but only by name and as being deceased. The children of the couple rather split up as older children maybe early teens. So somewhere along the line Jane Ney Galvin (named Jenney Ney Galvin in her husband's obituary) left the marriage (?). CT state death records of over 1 million do not show her with her birth name or the name known to her husband who was William J. Galvin. None of the 5 kids are living, only two were close to the father, some of the grand kids have been contacted and none know the place or death of their grandmother or aunt.

The initial question was not detail specific because we have multiple persons working on locating Jenney's daughter who has not been seen since 1960.
I decided to go down a different path and look for Jenney.
If you wish to do some searching, I can post her birth date and the name of her parents if that will help. so far it has not helped us. We've searched the census and have people on the ground in the state of CT and no results on Jenney Ney Galvin as far as her death as I seek her obituary.

Revised:
So we know her birth name, married name, parents name, only known location was CT.
That's what we have to locate her death records and obituary. None of her relatives have been able to help. The family structure splintered sometime in the period 1935-1945. That decade is only a guess. We know her last child was born 1928 and she (Jane / Jenney) died before late 1966. Nothing more is known. I suspect divorce records from William but we do not know.

Last edited by howard555; 12-29-2017 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-29-2017, 09:15 AM

Did you find her husband in the 1930 and 1940 censuses? Those records would list whether he was widowed or divorced.

Were the children living with the father in those censuses? If not, perhaps they were living with their mother and that would indicate she was alive, the state she was living in and whether she had a new husband.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Did you find her husband in the 1930 and 1940 censuses? Those records would list whether he was widowed or divorced.

Were the children living with the father in those censuses? If not, perhaps they were living with their mother and that would indicate she was alive, the state she was living in and whether she had a new husband.
The couple and all 5 kids are in the 1930 census in CT. In the 1940 census, only William Galvin shows up (?)
None of the others turn up in the 1940 census from what I was told. I'll take a look at other notes and make sure on that.

We also think that despite being born in 1895 that Jane Esther Ney's parents died in 1897 and 1905.
Her siblings if any could help since Jenney would be their Aunt.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Can someone with access to Ancestry look at this record and see if it gives any helpful data?

All U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

View Record

Jane Ney Galvin datecity, Connecticut

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...SAV=1&uidh=sz1

Old 12-29-2017, 01:25 PM

Well, then she was last known to be alive in 1930, not 1928. If her husband is listed as a widower in the 1940 census, then she would have died before 1940.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Well, then she was last known to be alive in 1930, not 1928. If her husband is listed as a widower in the 1940 census, then she would have died before 1940.
I'll double check to make sure her youngest child was born in 1928.

"Jennie, William and all of the kids are all shown on the 1930 Census. The family is not shown together on the 1940 Census, none of them seem to be on the 1940 Census (with the possible exception of the father William who was found in a mental institution). Perhaps the younger kids might not be found on that Census if they were living in orphanages or foster homes."

Someone may have found Jennie in a facility as well. The kids may have been with their father before William had to leave the home.
Relatives of the two sons of William and Jenney have been contacted. None know what happened to their Aunt. In fact some did not even know their father had three sisters. so I think we can conclude that Jenny was known to be in CT after 1930. I doubt she just exited in 1931.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy