Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times

Advertisements

Ok, as usual in my interest about genealogy (in my own family and that of my ancestors) one thing always seems to lead to another...curiosity. So this is my 'sleuthing' at work here and where it has brought me, and I am sure will eventually lead me to...other people, places and things to explore. I found it interesting, to say the least.

As always, if this has 'been done' before, sincere apologies. If not I hope it is as interesting to you all as it was to me.

Who are your blood types’ ancestors?

As you may see, the O allele is very common around the world. More than 60% of humans share it. Its frequency is particularly elevated among Central and South America, where it approaches 100% in some countries! It reaches high frequencies too among Australian Aborigines and in Western Europe (especially in populations with Celtic ancestors). However, the lowest frequency of it is found in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, where B is common.

https://dscblog.com/2012/03/31/who-a...pes-ancestors/

Blood Type Frequencies by Country Including the RH Factor

Blood Type Frequencies by Country including the Rh Factor - Rhesus Negative

Blood type distribution by country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_...ion_by_country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 03:37 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
I've always found blood types interesting too.

My mother was an O, father was an A, and I and all six of my siblings are A.

My husband is a B, and our kids are either A or AB. So he must be BO, and I obviously am AO. He's Rh- and I'm Rh+. If we'd had enough kids, we could have had literally every blood (pheno)type in the world among them.

We're both entirely Western European, as far as we can tell.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:44 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
I have the rarest blood type, AB-. According to Wikipedia, it's most commonly found in Slovakia, Moldova, and Russia, but we're talking about very small differences from the highest frequency to the lowest, from 1.2% to 0.01%. It seems it's least commonly found in East Asia and Africa, and more common in Europe, but only slightly.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:15 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I have A- the same as my mother. But my father has O+ blood this means that one of my father's parents had to have had a negative RH blood type as well.

Last edited by Chava61; 04-07-2018 at 05:24 AM..

Old 04-07-2018, 09:02 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
I have always found blood types interesting also.
Do a google search on RH Negative Blood sometimes, it will be the wildest ride of your life...
everything from we are Aliens to Lizard People, lol. I have learned that the Royal family is almost all
RH Negative (if they use any factual information at all at these sites, lol.)...to some scientific sites with some interesting information.

I am A Negative..or was it AB Negative, My Dad was O positive, not sure what my Mom is.
My Son is A Negative.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
We are solid O+ for three generations on both sides of the family: grandparents, us, and our children. Our ancestry is western and northern European, mostly centered on the Bristish Isles with a little bit of Scandinavian thrown in for good measure.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:16 PM

163 posts, read 474,619 times
another ab- person

Old 04-08-2018, 02:09 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
I wrote about this somewhere here, will see if I can find it.

My interest in Geneology actually began when my parents & I realized there were no relatives within 4 generations that had my Rh-negative blood.

When I initially found out I was Rh-negative I didn’t know/think much about it but my mom was really upset because she had done research in genetics for one of her Phd’s & she demanded that I be retested. It was accurate.

As Rhogam wasn’t available to pregnant Rh-negative mothers until the 1970’s, I assumed it would be easy to trace by looking for the parents who had raised only 1 child despite multiple births. I did find them: 6 generations back & only on my dad’s side.

So the mystery remains unsolved, due to that I had to have inherited one allele from each parent. The odds for being a 6th generation throwback were slim as it is. This has been complicated by my mom having been 1st Generation American born Greek.

The centuries of unrest with the Turks had led to massive amounts of vital records being destroyed when the churches were burnt to the ground. Most of the American Greeks who are trying to do geneology research are having to physically travel to Greece to do so; an option not available to me at this time. There are a handful of us on 23&me & gedmatch who are 2nd/3rd cousins but we have not found our link yet.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Me: A+
Husband: B+
Child #1:B+
Child #2:O
Child #3: AB-

Some of my cousin's on my dad's side are AB- too.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My interest in Geneology actually began when my parents & I realized there were no relatives within 4 generations that had my Rh-negative blood.

When I initially found out I was Rh-negative I didn’t know/think much about it but my mom was really upset because she had done research in genetics for one of her Phd’s & she demanded that I be retested. It was accurate.
You don't need to test as Rh- to be an RH- carrier. I wondered too when we found that all three of my children are Rh-. My husband is negative, and I'm positive. Both of my parents were positive, too. How did that happen?

All that means is that at least one of my parents was a carrier. There are three options for Rh:

Rh++ (has inherited a + allele from both parents; tests positive)

Rh+- (has inherited a + allele from one parent and a - from the other parent; tests positive)

Rh-- (has inherited a - allele from both parents; tests negative).

I'm clearly Rh+- and so was at least one of my parents. And it just happens that our kids inherited a - allele from both me and my husband.

Who knows how far back in my family tree I would have to go, to find someone who was Rh--. Maybe a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy