Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 05:47 AM

936 posts, read 825,048 times

Advertisements

This morning the McClathy newspaper chain started a series of stories that question whether Ancestry and other companies that do genealogical DNA can be trusted with your most personal information. It's a fascinating read. My local newspaper ran it on the front page this morning. There will be more stories appearing throughout the week.

Anyone's thoughts? By the way, I have been reluctant to submit a genealogical DNA test for many of the reasons sited in this story. I still do my genealogy the old fashioned way, one record at a time.

How private are your Ancestry DNA genetic testing results? | McClatchy Washington Bureau

Last edited by RDM66; 05-29-2018 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 07:11 AM

936 posts, read 825,048 times
After I posted this I realized that it's probably not a coincidence that McClatchy is running these stories about genealogical DNA. McClatchy's flagship paper is the Sacramento Bee, and Sacramento is the home of the Golden State Killer. Nearly all of the initial coverage about the Golden State Killer came from the Sacramento Bee (McClatchy).

A little bird tells me that someone in the Sacramento police department tipped off a reporter at the Bee several weeks in advance, telling them that the Golden State Killer would be caught in the near future using genealogical DNA. That's why they started this investigation into Ancestry DNA more than 3 months ago. This story was probably developed as a sidebar "evergreen feature" to go along with the Golden State Killer coverage when it finally broke.

When I was a newspaper reporter decades ago, I saw stories that played out this way.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 AM

1,047 posts, read 727,310 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
This morning the McClathy newspaper chain started a series of stories that question whether Ancestry and other companies that do genealogical DNA can be trusted with your most personal information. It's a fascinating read. My local newspaper ran it on the front page this morning. There will be more stories appearing throughout the week.

Anyone's thoughts? By the way, I have been reluctant to submit a genealogical DNA test for many of the reasons sited in this story. I still do my genealogy the old fashioned way, one record at a time.

How private are your Ancestry DNA genetic testing results? | McClatchy Washington Bureau
I feel it is a bit of a scam. I am really tired of every black person saying, "I am 30% Swedish," or white people saying, "I am 30% African." I do not trust the info because so much of it also contradicts family members intel.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
The article is an interesting example of hyperbole, truth and mis-understanding. I wonder if the author even read Ancestry's privacy policy? I did, and its not bad as such things go. Our biggest risk is this:
Quote:
We may share your Personal Information if we believe it is reasonably necessary to:
Comply with valid legal process (e.g., subpoenas, warrants);
If we are compelled to disclose your Personal Information to law enforcement, we will do our best to provide you with advance notice, unless we are prohibited under the law from doing so.
Of course, this would apply even without the statement in their privacy terms.

The bigger problem to me is that Sacramento police opened a can of worms with their actions, noble as the results may be. The ones that will suffer the most are not the Ancestrys, but the sites that offer public access, like the police used.

It's also probable that such police actions will continue to be rare, and genealogists will be more wary of sharing. How many police forces can invest the man(people?) hours this took for one case? Not many I'd guess. How many genealogists will cooperate with law enforcement in the future, recognizing the questionable ethics (do police even have ethics?) of creating a misleading DNA account?

Old 05-29-2018, 07:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
This is from an Ancestry report, with my bolds. Sleep well:
Quote:
Overview
Ancestry received 34 valid law enforcement requests for user information in 2017. We provided information in response to 31 of those 34 requests.
All the requests were related to investigations involving credit card misuse and identity theft.
We refused numerous inquiries on the basis that the requestor failed to obtain the appropriate legal process.
We received no requests for information related to genetic information of any Ancestry member, and we did not disclose any such information to law enforcement.
National Security Requests
As of December 31, 2017, Ancestry has never received a classified request pursuant to the national security laws of the United States or any other country. In other words, Ancestry has not received a National Security Letter or a request under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:09 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,132,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post

I don't trust them. Never have, never will. Even if I could trust them... I don't trust what some other entity might do with that.

I don't even trust that they aren't collecting dna profiles on newborns yet or soon. With or without our knowledge.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:12 AM

Great article. I'm glad my instinct was correct about them. Sadly, I know family members that have used the service.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:34 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
I feel it is a bit of a scam. I am really tired of every black person saying, "I am 30% Swedish," or white people saying, "I am 30% African." I do not trust the info because so much of it also contradicts family members intel.
It isn't a scam. The DNA matching works, I found people I had no idea I was related to. And yes, I have the primary source records to back up the DNA results that my family tree was wrong; somebody's daddy wasn't their daddy.

The ethnicity reports are estimates based on existing knowledge. They may or may not be accurate for everyone. Best advice is to take the percents with the grain of salt.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,589,005 times
{shrug} 23andme has tested my DNA, my son's, and several other family members. I have zero security/privacy concerns.

The results mirrored the results of several family members who have traced us back multiple generations. No surprises.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 AM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It isn't a scam. The DNA matching works, I found people I had no idea I was related to. And yes, I have the primary source records to back up the DNA results that my family tree was wrong; somebody's daddy wasn't their daddy.

The ethnicity reports are estimates based on existing knowledge. They may or may not be accurate for everyone. Best advice is to take the percents with the grain of salt.
That makes some sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy