Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 07:50 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,904 times

Advertisements

I was curious the youngest someone could be a purchaser on an estate. Specifically if I see someone who purchased multiple items from an estate in North Carolina in 1767 what age minimum would that likely imply, if at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 08:53 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
In general colonial America used English law...adulthood was 21.

But lawful age for marriage of female was 12 & male was 14.

However, women over 21 were not considered independent adults unless they had been married and then widowed & not re-married. Either their husbands or fathers held the property and assets & made the financial decisions.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:54 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
I was curious the youngest someone could be a purchaser on an estate. Specifically if I see someone who purchased multiple items from an estate in North Carolina in 1767 what age minimum would that likely imply, if at all?
A minor would have a parent or guardian who controlled any money the minor had, so a purchase in the name of the minor would have been made by the guardian, I suspect.

Here are some generalities concerning minors:

Legal Age | Bob's Genealogy Filing Cabinet

Old 10-06-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A minor would have a parent or guardian who controlled any money the minor had, so a purchase in the name of the minor would have been made by the guardian, I suspect.

Here are some generalities concerning minors:

Legal Age | Bob's Genealogy Filing Cabinet
Thanks that is what I suspected. So if his name is listed alone as a purchaser he "should" be 21 by that time?

Old 10-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks that is what I suspected. So if his name is listed alone as a purchaser he "should" be 21 by that time?
That would be my guess. What was purchased? If it was land, he would almost certainly be at least 21.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That would be my guess. What was purchased? If it was land, he would almost certainly be at least 21.
Maybe you can help me with that too, one entry I can read the other I'm not sure

The first time it mentions him seems to be "one as a" but I must be missing something

The second item seems to be "one chest"
Attached Thumbnails
Youngest someone could be a purchaser on an Estate-james-nelson-estate-sale-1667-edgecombe  

Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
In general colonial America used English law...adulthood was 21.

But lawful age for marriage of female was 12 & male was 14.
That might have been the minimum age of marriage with consent of parents/guardians, but I doubt very much it was the min age without consent.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Maybe you can help me with that too, one entry I can read the other I'm not sure

The first time it mentions him seems to be "one as a" but I must be missing something

If he's not purchasing land, he may not be 21. A chest probably does not require one to be 21. I'm not sure what the first one says - I think it's probably an item and some of the lettering has faded.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Actually, looking at the other entries, the author is using a certain symbol, I think it might be like an "&" or perhaps supposed to be a comma. At first, because it preceded a number that seems to correlate with the cost on the right, I though it was a money symbol, but it is also used in "a parcel of knifes [symbol] forks" for example. But then it makes more sense as a comma when it precedes the numbers. In any case, this symbol seems to be used in the line in question (the one you're reading as "one as a") but I am not sure how.

On the topic of the money though - the first column is pounds, then shillings, then pence. There were 12 pence in a shilling, and 20 shillings (or 240 pence) in a pound. So for example, the first line says "To Jacob Bethney four Dishes [symbol] 32/" - this is saying 32 shillings, which would be the same as 1 pound, 12 shillings (which is what is in the columns). So in the mystery line, whatever he bought was worth 6 shillings. This is definitely not land - and in my experience, land normally wasn't listed in the estate sales anyway. I definitely would not assume he was 21 from this.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I think the first item is "one ax." On the second page Jacob Bethney bought a "broad ax."

I think the "a" is a symbol for "and". Then there is the ellipsis, as if the writer did not know what the second item was.

On the second page there is a reference to "eight sows *symbol* fifty pigs." That would also be "and" I suspect.

As far as his age is concerned, I suspect Isham would not be buying an ax and a chest unless he had his own household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy