Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 02:24 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

From the email they just sent out, it sounds like they took on board the feedback they were getting about giving users the option to stay involved in DNA matching, but opt out of law-enforcement having access:

Quote:
We are emailing you to notify you of changes that we have made to our Terms of Service, Privacy Statement, and other guidelines and processes which govern how law enforcement may use our site. We now require all law enforcement authorities to register accounts under a special process, designed specifically for law enforcement and third parties working with law enforcement, which allows them to participate in our DNA matching program.

Our new policy changes to allow registration of law enforcement accounts will take effect today, March 12th.

If you do not wish to be matched with these designated law enforcement registered users, you have the ability to opt out by adjusting your Matching Preferences, which now includes an option to opt-out of Law Enforcement Matching. User accounts created prior to March 12th, 2019 that are flagged as an EU account have been opted out of Law Enforcement Matching but may choose to opt in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 12:06 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
From the email they just sent out, it sounds like they took on board the feedback they were getting about giving users the option to stay involved in DNA matching, but opt out of law-enforcement having access:
Thanks for letting us know. We can always count on you to be on top of things like this.

They had to do something because they were getting pounded on facebook with every post they made people were not happy; others would tell people how to turn off sharing. I'm not big on facebook but have been making a point of watching what's been said on the main sites. It's carried over to Ancestry, My Heritage and 23 and me asking if they allow law enforcement access.

People have been commenting on 23 and me asking why everyone else has sales yet they do not.

I just logged into my account, turned matching back on, sure enough there is an option to opt into law enforcement that automatically turned on when I turned matching on, so people have to watch for that. They need to check their settings to make sure it's on or off. I'm skeptical that there are no LE looking at matches; I assume it will take time for them to change over to their new group. Are we to assume they've already changed their access? I actually would have allowed it with my profile but not my relatives but I'm not going to because of the way they want about it with telling us after the fact. LE has been there since some time in 2018 from what I've read.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:55 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
I don't understand this. It looks like what you posted, PA2UK, is opting out of being DNA matched with someone in law enforcement. Why would you want to exclude a match just because of someone's choice of employment. What you quoted doesn't have one word about law enforcement having access to DNA records.

Help me understand and form an opinion. Is law enforcement access to DNA data generally considered undesirable?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Trust Us", really.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I don't understand this. It looks like what you posted, PA2UK, is opting out of being DNA matched with someone in law enforcement. Why would you want to exclude a match just because of someone's choice of employment. What you quoted doesn't have one word about law enforcement having access to DNA records.

Help me understand and form an opinion. Is law enforcement access to DNA data generally considered undesirable?
FTDNA has been allowing law enforcement to upload various types of crime scene DNA since some time last year. They never told us they did it either. It some how came out a few months ago, people are livid. Some deleted their DNA while others like me turned DNA matching off.

See PA2UK's 1st thread about this. As you probably know, click the arrow in the quote below to be taken to her original thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Everyone's freaking out again because FTDNA has now given permission for the FBI to upload DNA to their database and agreed to test some of the DNA samples: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...BfolBsR9kFyyXw

Note: "On a case-by-case basis, the company has agreed to test DNA samples for the FBI and upload profiles to its database, allowing law enforcement to see familial matches to crime-scene samples. FamilyTreeDNA said law enforcement may not freely browse genetic data but rather has access only to the same information any user might."

Any company that allows DNA uploads from the public can allow law enforcement to do the same. They’re not doing anything you, me, or Joe Shmoe can’t do and they don't have access to anything we don't. It’d be like saying law enforcement can’t use the phone book to get someone’s contact details, even though the phone book is available to anyone else. It’s a public database, this is what public means.

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-13-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 02:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Looks like they are trying to give you a choice -- do as you like.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It is by those who fear a "police State."

I do fear a "police State" but I don't see DNA access as a problem.

I tested with both Ancestry and Family Tree precisely so everyone could see my DNA and I don't care who does.

If my DNA can help identify a John or Jane Doe rotting in a morgue and bring closure to a grieving family, or put someone in jail to bring closure to a family and justice to the family and society, while prevent others from suffering at the hands of a criminal, then I'm all for it.

Family Tree actually has two options, one for opting out of law enforcement searches, and the other for opting out of searches by all others.

I've had several family members as murder victims, but none unsolved. I would not, of course, necessarily know about unsolved rapes.

There is no law that bars me from conducting my own independent investigation of any crime anywhere in the US.

As a former police officer, detective sergeant and private investigator, it's not like I don't know how to do that.

If there was an unsolved murder or rape in my family, I would be accessing DNA to identify the perpetrator.

So...now what are you going to do?

Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It is by those who fear a "police State."

I do fear a "police State" but I don't see DNA access as a problem.

I tested with both Ancestry and Family Tree precisely so everyone could see my DNA and I don't care who does.

If my DNA can help identify a John or Jane Doe rotting in a morgue and bring closure to a grieving family, or put someone in jail to bring closure to a family and justice to the family and society, while prevent others from suffering at the hands of a criminal, then I'm all for it.

Family Tree actually has two options, one for opting out of law enforcement searches, and the other for opting out of searches by all others.

I've had several family members as murder victims, but none unsolved. I would not, of course, necessarily know about unsolved rapes.

There is no law that bars me from conducting my own independent investigation of any crime anywhere in the US.

As a former police officer, detective sergeant and private investigator, it's not like I don't know how to do that.

If there was an unsolved murder or rape in my family, I would be accessing DNA to identify the perpetrator.

So...now what are you going to do?
If you want your DNA to identify John and Jane Does upload to GEDmatch Genesis so DNA Doe Project can have access to it. They have not been given access to FTDNA yet. They are trying last I heard. I know a few people there. The day they give access to DDP I will allow mine to be accessed.

My biggest issue is they are a private company who said they will fight for us to not be included unless LE got a subpoena but they changed that and didn't tell us

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-14-2019 at 12:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy