Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 743 times

Advertisements

I have been researching family history in Prizzi, Sicily. There seems to be many marriages between cousins. Was that the norm in the 1800’s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Marrying your first cousin was perfectly acceptable in the early 1800s, and the practice certainly offered some benefits: Wealth and property were more likely to remain in the same hands, and it was easier for young women to meet and be courted by bachelors within the family circle.
The Victorian era saw a rise in awareness of birth defects associated with reproduction among relatives. Cousin marriages remained popular among the upper class, however. Charles Darwin married his first cousin Emma Wedgwood, for instance, and Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were themselves first cousins.
https://www.history.com/.amp/news/5-...-didnt-do-much

Old 03-25-2019, 09:23 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie1946 View Post
I have been researching family history in Prizzi, Sicily. There seems to be many marriages between cousins. Was that the norm in the 1800’s?
In small Italian towns? Yes, very much so. It was less common in more populated areas. In small towns, it was just inevitable - there were limited options and it would be impossible to not marry someone you're related to somehow, even if distantly.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
I've seen cousin marriages in 19th & early 20th century Poland also.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:04 AM

31 posts, read 24,125 times
Yes it is very common, especially in ethnic groups that are geographically separated like French-Canadians and Ashkenazi Jews. My family tree has many examples of second and third cousins marrying during that time period and before. What also appears to be common is double marriages between families, i.e. two Smith sisters marrying two Johnson brothers.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:50 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl1156 View Post
Yes it is very common, especially in ethnic groups that are geographically separated like French-Canadians and Ashkenazi Jews. My family tree has many examples of second and third cousins marrying during that time period and before. What also appears to be common is double marriages between families, i.e. two Smith sisters marrying two Johnson brothers.

I can out do that one. I have 4 sisters marrying 4 brothers in a tiny shtetl in Galicia circa 1900. That is one complex family tree. LOL

Old 03-29-2019, 04:08 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl1156 View Post
What also appears to be common is double marriages between families, i.e. two Smith sisters marrying two Johnson brothers.
One such situation of brothers marrying sisters helped me break down a brick wall when I noticed the similarity of the sisters' maiden names, one of which was misspelled literally everywhere.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:35 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
In 2000, my state almost banned marriage between first cousins. According to wikepedia there are another 18 states that still permit first cousin marriages. I guess that's a fact that should be kept in mind when searching for ancestors in those states.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:30 PM

372 posts, read 220,292 times
My sis is the family historian.

Bothy mum and dad's people were originally from Ireland.

She was able to trace Mum's family back only about 100 years, to county Galway.

A bit more luck with dad's people; from the ship's manifest. Dad's people arrived from county Clare ,as free settlers in 1870.(the free colony founded in 1836) No Convicts in MY family! Was a time that boast was important in parts of Oz.I remember it was a source of family pride when I was a gossoon.

Sis traced the family back 300 years, to County Clare .Today there are the ruins of a village with the family name 'bally----' . By 'ruins' I mean one wall of a church, and an overgrown graveyard. That would almost certainly be worth some time.

According to sis, the family actually originated in Galway, and the name and derivatives are about 1000 years old. I'm a bit skeptical about that claim, as I haven't actually seen her research . A nice fantasy though..

Oh, of course, the family is related to 'the kings of Ireland'. From what I understand, most Irishmen make the same claim- The link below is to an article about the high kings of Ireland.They were apparently numerous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngs_of_Ireland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy