Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times

Advertisements

James Oates was born somewhere in Perranzabuloe Parish around 1660. He was the first of my ancestors to cross the Atlantic. Curious if anyone has any information about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
I'm not certain if the link below is still viable to contact for look-ups, or perhaps you've already tried it, but maybe you can get some information.
PERRANZABULOE PARISH RECORDS

Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I'm not certain if the link below is still viable to contact for look-ups, or perhaps you've already tried it, but maybe you can get some information.
PERRANZABULOE PARISH RECORDS
Good resource. Thanks...

Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
James Oates was born somewhere in Perranzabuloe Parish around 1660. He was the first of my ancestors to cross the Atlantic. Curious if anyone has any information about him.
When and where did James land in America? Asking because I bumped into a Richard Oates and family in Portsmouth NH about 1663. Thinking perhaps that if James and Richard were related, that might give more clues to Perranzabuloe Parish origins (although not sure that's where Richard came from).

Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
When and where did James land in America? Asking because I bumped into a Richard Oates and family in Portsmouth NH about 1663. Thinking perhaps that if James and Richard were related, that might give more clues to Perranzabuloe Parish origins (although not sure that's where Richard came from).
I do not know where James landed, but he was married in coastal North Carolina around 1685. The area in North Carolina, to this day, is largely a fishing economy similar to the historic Cornish coasts. I found that interesting.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Many if not most from Cornwall and Devonshire were in the fishing and maritime industries I've been learning, and as a book title says, "They Came to Fish" (in other words, they didn't come here for religious freedom). I knew they went to New Hampshire and Maine, but I didn't realize North Carolina as well ... learn sumthin' new every day - thank you! :-)

There are 5000+ family trees on ancestry.com for James Oates. None list any parents (except for "Family Dillingham" and "Oates" or "Otes" with no other information). I found a few Oates in Extracted UK Records, but in reality those bits and pieces are relatively useless because they give barely an iota of information - great I suppose for someone who lives in England and can physically make a trip to the record repositories, but for online research the extracted records are useless.

Curious if you know if James had a brother George? There was one in Barbados in the mid-to-late 1680s. Another thing I've learned lately is how many Englishmen went from England to Barbados and then to America (or America to Barbados or never even left Barbados).

James was married to Elizabeth Perry? If so, some of the 9 children listed for them had the last name Evans. I thought that odd.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Many if not most from Cornwall and Devonshire were in the fishing and maritime industries I've been learning, and as a book title says, "They Came to Fish" (in other words, they didn't come here for religious freedom). I knew they went to New Hampshire and Maine, but I didn't realize North Carolina as well ... learn sumthin' new every day - thank you! :-)

There are 5000+ family trees on ancestry.com for James Oates. None list any parents (except for "Family Dillingham" and "Oates" or "Otes" with no other information). I found a few Oates in Extracted UK Records, but in reality those bits and pieces are relatively useless because they give barely an iota of information - great I suppose for someone who lives in England and can physically make a trip to the record repositories, but for online research the extracted records are useless.

Curious if you know if James had a brother George? There was one in Barbados in the mid-to-late 1680s. Another thing I've learned lately is how many Englishmen went from England to Barbados and then to America (or America to Barbados or never even left Barbados).

James was married to Elizabeth Perry? If so, some of the 9 children listed for them had the last name Evans. I thought that odd.
The Parish Clerk of Perranzabuloe is married to a gentleman with the Oates surname. I've been trying to initiate an electronic dialogue with that family in hopes that a clerk would be something of a historian, but I'm sure they are pretty damn tired of Ancestry.com information requests (if I found it, I'm sure a lot of others had the same idea). I'll keep trying and PM you if I learn anything.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
The Parish Clerk of Perranzabuloe is married to a gentleman with the Oates surname.
Fabulous!
Quote:
I've been trying to initiate an electronic dialogue with that family in hopes that a clerk would be something of a historian, but I'm sure they are pretty damn tired of Ancestry.com information requests (if I found it, I'm sure a lot of others had the same idea).
Fingers crossed she is a historian and gives a hoot about family ancestries!
Quote:
I'll keep trying and PM you if I learn anything.
And I'll keep my eyes out for Oates as a wander through Cornwall seeking my ancestor.

Another resource you might try, if you haven't already, is one or more of the GENUKI mail lists and web groups (mostly sponsored by Rootsweb I think). There's an extensive list at GENUKI: Genealogy Discussion Groups
and if you scroll down to the county of Cornwall, you'll see 21 different groups (yikes!)

Best of luck with your brick wall!!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I very recently found out that James was actually an attorney from Cornwall. He married a gal of the maiden name Elizabeth Perry. She was the reasonably well-landed widow of Richard Eivans or Evans, with whom she had 9 children. James and Elizabeth had one son that I know of and James' will included the youngest of Richard and Elizabeth's children, which I speculate means that they had formed an adoptive attachment.

So James was a planter, a fisherman and he wrote deeds and mediated disputes.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I very recently found out that James was actually an attorney from Cornwall. He married a gal of the maiden name Elizabeth Perry. She was the reasonably well-landed widow of Richard Eivans or Evans, with whom she had 9 children. James and Elizabeth had one son that I know of and James' will included the youngest of Richard and Elizabeth's children, which I speculate means that they had formed an adoptive attachment.

So James was a planter, a fisherman and he wrote deeds and mediated disputes.
That is absolutely the most fabulous information! So now I totally understand why I could not read the photocopy image of his will - the penmanship was so curvy and flowery (although I don't like to use that adjective for a gentleman's handwriting). Sounds like James was a jack of all trades and master of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy