Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 AM

190 posts, read 618,035 times

Advertisements

Anyone move thier motorcycle with their household goods? How did they move your bike? What did you do to prepare it for moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:34 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Mounted the front wheel on the rear, let the bike tilt as it turns.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 AM

894 posts, read 2,201,803 times
I did. I put my couch in first, then backed my bike in so the rear tire was touching the front of the wall, and leaned it on the kick stand so the bike was leaning on the couch. Then on the other side I had bags of blankets and other soft fluffy things, just in case it fell. On top, I put my pillow top mattress face down, then the box spring, then random objects to weigh down the mattress.

The bike never fell, the couch worked well I suppose. I moved from Central Texas to Central Arizona, 1400 miles, not a scratch on it.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 AM

I will be having a moving company move my house hold goods. I didn't know they would take my bike on the truck. I plan to talk to them next week but, wanted to know how others did it so I can intelligently talk to them. My online research shows different companies do it differently. Some have a special pallet that they load the bike onto with a wheel chock. I was thinking if the moving company does not have one of these I would build one.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 AM

948 posts, read 1,386,031 times
They will take your bike. They will even crate it if you request and pay. Most moving companies offer a version of insurance on items but I have seen that turn into a battle between the personal insurance company and the movers insurance company as to who was responsible, meanwhile the owner sits without the bike. So I would talk to your insurance guy before having it moved just so things are clear to you.
There are also companies that specialize in moving autos including motorcycles. I had a friend sell a Fatboy in Denver to a person in Seattle and hired a specific mover for, though I don't know the cost.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM

I was originally looking into a motorcycle transport company. It is about $1000 to move with insurance, door to door. I was just recently told by a friend that the moving company would move it with the rest of my stuff. Since the company will not be paying to relocate all my vehicles (trying to negotiate (2) cars and my pets (but will post a new topic for that)), having the movers take care of the bike helps.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Depending on how good your bike is cosmetically, you might want to spring for crating it. Movers should know how to do this.

Typically they want the gas tank empty, or mostly empty.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,102 times
Yeah, I was going to mention draining the fluids first!!

The sites I've read stated "no motor vehicles allowed in the container", but that was for
overseas shipping..
I was thinking of dismantling the bike and labeling it "parts"
Take the wheels, seat, gas tank and mirrors off. Not hard on Dirtbikes...

$1000 is too much for my budget...

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues