Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,822 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!!

Maybe this is a silly question but I know it can't hurt to ask Say I plan on buying a new (used, already titled in that state) vehicle in a new state before I actually have my own residency in that state. Can I get Virginia tags for my car using my home address in Illinois and then change the address when I get settled in, or should I use the address of my family with whom I'll be shacking up for no more than a week, two weeks before I move into my own place?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valenciana View Post
Hi guys!!

Maybe this is a silly question but I know it can't hurt to ask Say I plan on buying a new (used, already titled in that state) vehicle in a new state before I actually have my own residency in that state. Can I get Virginia tags for my car using my home address in Illinois and then change the address when I get settled in, or should I use the address of my family with whom I'll be shacking up for no more than a week, two weeks before I move into my own place?

Thanks!
i'd actually check with the DMV in that state. As we learned going from Wi to SC, each state has their own requirements and sales taxes to cover, and some include property taxes as well that have to be dealt with even before registering a car. My "guess" is that you'd be best off using family's address in VA, but as that's just a guess the DMV site may be your best option for info (barring posts from VA residents)

Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
If you want to short circuit headaches use the VA address. A fly in that ointment will be your Il driver's license. You can't wait an extra week or two to buy the car?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 PM

148 posts, read 425,694 times
We are paying $800 to register and plate our two SUV's in Florida and we can't even do that until we have a copy of our new lease and some kind of bill. In Florida they even want to see your marriage license, imagine that. Those guys that got the fake pilots licenses in Florida on 9/11 really jacked up the paperwork for that place. They are hyper, super, villigent. ( hope they don't make me take a written test for my Drivers License - I'm scared I'll flunk the damn thing. I'm a paranoid dingbat, been driving 30 years! LOL

Good Luck everyone.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valenciana View Post
Hi guys!!

Thanks!
Most states want you to register the car there within 30 days of moving
I'm sure VA is no different.

But you asked if you can register the car at the new address. I would personally do that (and have in the past) so you avoid registration fees, inspections etc in IL if you're only going to be living there for another week. Because you're going to have to pay all those fees again to re-register and title the car in VA. Also be advised that VA has a series of inspections that are required prior to registration so you may have to physically be there to have those done. I'd wait to register it until you get to the final destination as long as it's within the 30 days period or whatever VA allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresamcallahan View Post
Those guys that got the fake pilots licenses in Florida on 9/11 really jacked up the paperwork for that place.
No, your idiot governor did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues