Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM

144 posts, read 201,039 times

Advertisements

I live in IL for too long that I felt the need to escape its winter months for 3 yrs now. Previous states I've 'escaped' into were vegas and AZ.

Now I read somewhere TN, NC and New Mexico are non snow states but googling further found out it does snow there so what's the truth?

I am leaning on TN coz it's closer to IL either that or NC which is also closer compared to FL which was my orig choice but was disappointed by the farther distance.

Last edited by heartbrox; 08-08-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
You really don't want a NON snow state.
Having it get cold enough over winter in order to snow is important.
That said... farther south than the Lakes can be nice.

I'm in north central NC... just east of the mountains.
Winter comes here but it comes late and leaves early...
and most important it doesn't make a big mess while visiting.
---

If you can afford it... having two places or just paying rent in the winter
so you can snow bird in Florida does have it's appeal. Most can't.

hth

Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Every state within the United States of America has snow. Most non-snow states (as people call them) get that designation because its so limited, you have to go to a certain place during a certain time. It's not like snow is common all over the state or even remains past a hour if it falls. Consider that even Hawaii gets snow.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
Snow is pretty rare in TN and when it does fall, it's not going to be anything like Chicago.

It can be a blessing and a curse depending on how you look at it since most of the southern states don't have plows or salt spreaders so the slightest dusting of snow can wreak havoc and shut down the cities which is always amusing for ex-northerners to watch. But you probably wouldn't even notice.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
We moved to Raleigh NC and the next winter they had 2 feet of snow. Dallas and Atlanta can get snow and ice. And when they do, the whole area has to stop and it is pretty dangerous. Doesnt happen often.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
What is it you want to escape, the low temps, the gloom, dealing with icy roads, having to shovel walks and drives?

Most of TN rarely sees snow, other than in the higher elevations of east TN or on the Cumberland Plateau, although even there snow is not that common.
I'm up in the northeast corner of TN, I don't own a snow shovel, although I do have a snow brush/ice scraper for my car. Snowfall is usually a light dusting, maybe a inch or two at times, and usually gone within a day or so. It is nothing like the upper midwest where winter means dealing with snow week after week.

Last edited by DubbleT; 08-08-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
I live in SWFL pretty much as far south as you can get on the west coast of the state and its snowed here at least 3 times that I can remember.. I dont' think there is a non snow state.. Hawaii maybe?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
There isn't any state that doesn't get any snow at all. Even Hawaii gets snow on Mauna Loa at least. The areas around the beach don't get it so that might be a choice. The Florida Keys probably don't get snow. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to look into places in the desert like Las Vegas, Yuma, AZ, or places like that. I think Vegas has had snow as well though.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
There isn't any state that doesn't get any snow at all. Even Hawaii gets snow on Mauna Loa at least. The areas around the beach don't get it so that might be a choice. The Florida Keys probably don't get snow. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to look into places in the desert like Las Vegas, Yuma, AZ, or places like that. I think Vegas has had snow as well though.
Having lived in Vegas previously, it also depends on WHERE in Las Vegas you live due to elevation.

The areas around the strip are 2,000 ft above sea level, the east (ghetto) side of town is around 1,500, and the far west and northwest side (Summerlin, and Centennial Hills respectively) is 2,500-3,000 ft

The east side rarely if ever sees any snowfall. Around the strip, snow will fall occasionally but not stick, over in Summerlin and Centennial Hills though? It snows almost every year whether it sticks or not, if it does stick, it will melt in a few hours and its never more than an inch or so

I agree with the other posters there really isn't a single non-snow state in the US. Even Florida gets snow on an annual basis (but thats mainly northern FL and the panhandle) but I can give you a list of "non-snow" cities, cities that don't see snow on an annual basis, or more than 10 inches a year, I dont think the list is long though

Anywhere in FL
Houston, TX
San Antonio, TX
DFW, TX (though they have seen snow before, but rarely)
Phoenix, AZ
Tucson, AZ
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Atlanta, GA (they do see snow annually but not a lot)

Hope this helps
I wont list any TN cities, because they do get snow in a lot of that state

Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
I live in IL for too long that I felt the need to escape its winter months for 3 yrs now. Previous states I've 'escaped' into were vegas and AZ.

Now I read somewhere TN, NC and New Mexico are non snow states but googling further found out it does snow there so what's the truth?

I am leaning on TN coz it's closer to IL either that or NC which is also closer compared to FL which was my orig choice but was disappointed by the farther distance.

The only known place in the United States which has never had frost, ice or snow is.....Key West, FL.

Go there and enjoy yourself.

Or, pick of our our colonies, possessions or territories: Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands. No snow, but you'll still enjoy the benefits of citizenship, the vote, government services and your money won't change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues