Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 PM

88 posts, read 171,374 times

Advertisements

So, I have some questions about moving. I feel as though I'm in a rut. All my life I have said I would move from Michigan (where I live now and have lived for my whole 22 years of life) to Florida. I have 3 sisters, one of them lives in FL, one in TX, and one just moved back (with her husband and baby) to MI from Florida a few months ago. I never had sisters around because they have all lived out of state when I was growing up. Now, that it's time for me to leave the parents house and I just graduated college in April, (gave myself the summer to have fun before I decided to move out) I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed.

On one hand, if I stay in MI for the time being and move to a nearby downtown I am told by many that if I don't move out now to FL (or anywhere out of state), like I've always said I would and wanted, that I never would because I have become too comfortable here. However, I feel I would always regret it if I didn't at least try a new place to live for a few months to see even how I feel.

On the other hand, if I move away, I am leaving my sister and my baby nephew behind, and I have finally grown so close to a sister, and I love it. So, leaving that behind would be hard.

I know nothing is permanent, if I do move out of state and am not happy, I can always come back to MI. People keep reminding me that I'm 22 and that I can do anything I want and nows the time to do it.

Background:
I've traveled my entire life, some of which on my own
I never really get home sick
I love Florida
Love my friends and family that I have in MI
Have lived in the same house/bedroom my entire life

Can anyone just give me some advice? Help me feel less stressed, and how to make the best decision for me? I'm getting pulled so many different directions by so many people it in my life that I need unbiased advice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
No one can really tell you what to do. But I know this much, when you make a decision, do it 100 percent, don't keep thinking what you should have done, or could have done. Just go with it, and be committed to it. Doing something half way, means you will always be unhappy with your choice. Commit to the decision that you want, for one year. Then, in a year, assess the decision, and decide if you feel like it was the best choice for you. If not, then you need to make a change.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowitskristin View Post
I just graduated college in April, (gave myself the summer to have fun before I decided to move out) I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed.

Can anyone just give me some advice?
Okay, here goes.

It is no wonder you are stressed and overwhelmed. You've spent the summer having fun and now fall is looming with no plan in place to support yourself.

Finding a job, not whether to move to Florida, is your first order of business.

The longer you put this off, the more difficult it will be. Employers are reluctant to hire those who are not currently employed. Strange but true. And the longer you are unemployed, the more difficult it is to get hired. Employers are suspicious of gaps in resumes.

Furthermore, in some areas of the country, like Florida, the job market is tighter than in others.

Naturally, you want to spend more time with your grown up sisters, but moving in with one of them is just as likely to strain your relationship as strengthen it.

Hopefully, you have years and years ahead of you to get to know them better. For the time being, focus your efforts on employment. Surely, that college degree is good for something.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues