Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times

Advertisements

I am 40 years old/no kids/ and lived in 1 entire city my whole life As far as I can remember I have always wanted to move out west. Well last year, I made my decision. I listed my house this year in Jan.?(fingers crossed it sells). Call it an early midlife crisis decision, but I want to do it. I have traveled extensively to the city I want to move to on "biz", so it's not exactly like I dont know what Im getting in to. Just had my plumber who's doing work for me,ask why I want to leave my home after 40 yrs..... He basically said that im making a big mistake and that basically i wont make it and will be home within a year.and why would i want to go to a city where you dont know anyone- Personally speaking, I need to get out of my hometown. I have outgrowned everything here. Personally can't stand the place.... I mean why not now... Im out of debt..-minus bills and the house of course. My mom is 70' yrs old. and in picture perfect health and would fly back to see her.... I know i shouldnt let other people dictate my actions on what I want to do....but his opinion was like a "kick in the gut".-Just wish I could get a little bit more encouragement.- "CHANGE" is good right?

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 02-28-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I am 40 years old/no kids/ and lived in 1 entire city my whole life As far as I can remember I have always wanted to move out west. Well last year, I made my decision. I listed my house this year in Jan.?(fingers crossed it sells). Call it an early midlife crisis decision, but I want to do it. I have traveled extensively to the city I want to move to on "biz", so it's not exactly like I dont know what Im getting in to. Just had my plumber who's doing work for me,ask why I want to leave my home after 40 yrs..... He basically said that im making a big mistake and that basically i wont make it and will be home within a year.- Personally speaking, I need to get out of my hometown. I have outgrowned everything here. Personally can't stand the place.... I mean why not now... Im out of debt..-minus bills and the house of course. My mom is 70' yrs old. and in picture perfect health and would fly back to see her.... I know i shouldnt let other people dictate my actions on what I want to do....but his opinion was like a "kick in the gut".-Just wish I could get a little bit more encouragement.
Sounds like the time is right for a change. You are debt free; have outgrown your hometown and your elderly parent is in good heath. Go and give it a try. You're hometown will still be there if you ever want to go back.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Change is good and it seems like you are in a position to take advantage of it. Your plumber is just jealous and probably sad that he'll be losing a customer. I would go for it, a new adventure is good, you never know what it will lead to.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
The negativity from him was like a "gut punch". Yes when I move, I wont know anyone, which I'm fine with. Gives me a chance to make new friends...Right? And besides I keep my circles small anyway. I have 2 close friends that I close with and that about it. Personally speaking, I need this move right now. Just really sick of my home.....Grant it lots of people are content not leaving where they were raised....I can't do it...I refuse...I mean life is too short and I just don't want to spend my whole life in a city where Im not happy....

Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
The negativity from him was like a "gut punch". Yes when I move, I wont know anyone, which I'm fine with. Gives me a chance to make new friends...Right? And besides I keep my circles small anyway. I have 2 close friends that I close with and that about it. Personally speaking, I need this move right now. Just really sick of my home.....Grant it lots of people are content not leaving where they were raised....I can't do it...I refuse...I mean life is too short and I just don't want to spend my whole life in a city where Im not happy....
The question comes down to this.......If not now, when?

Seems like you weighed it all out & the timing is good. Go for it

Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
As long as you don't expect the 'place' to make you happy I think it is the right move. It sounds like you have thought it out carefully - enjoy your new adventure!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
To thine own self be true.....you are a grown, mature, responsible adult and I feel you are entitled to do any damn thing you want to do as long as it is not illegal or immoral. I am assuming you can secure a decent job out there in your new place. If you can afford to leave before your house sells I would encourage you to do so. You only go around once in this lifetime and there are no do overs. Make yourself happy so you have no regrets at the end. Enjoy your life while you are able to enjoy it.........

Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
I am 40 years old/no kids/ and lived in 1 entire city my whole life As far as I can remember I have always wanted to move out west. Well last year, I made my decision. I listed my house this year in Jan.?(fingers crossed it sells). Call it an early midlife crisis decision, but I want to do it. I have traveled extensively to the city I want to move to on "biz", so it's not exactly like I dont know what Im getting in to. Just had my plumber who's doing work for me,ask why I want to leave my home after 40 yrs..... He basically said that im making a big mistake and that basically i wont make it and will be home within a year.and why would i want to go to a city where you dont know anyone- Personally speaking, I need to get out of my hometown. I have outgrowned everything here. Personally can't stand the place.... I mean why not now... Im out of debt..-minus bills and the house of course. My mom is 70' yrs old. and in picture perfect health and would fly back to see her.... I know i shouldnt let other people dictate my actions on what I want to do....but his opinion was like a "kick in the gut".-Just wish I could get a little bit more encouragement.- "CHANGE" is good right?
Your name says it all. You feel like a WestCoastBabe, stuck somewhere else. Go for it. You can always go back home if it isn't what you hoped. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck...Dying to know what city??

Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Do it. You will regret not doing it when you are older. At least you will have tried it, if it doesnt work out ; no hassle, its ok.

We are in our mid 40's and about to start fresh again ; it can only go up from here.

Have fun, enjoy it. You only get to live once.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 AM

198 posts, read 464,499 times
I say "go for it"! We have one pretty short life and as long as you are prepared mentally to face the challenges of living in a new place you will not regret "taking the plunge". As the other posters said, you can always return if it does not work out for you and if it does work for you then you may enjoy life more for taking a chance and making the move. Also, do make sure you realize that a place does not make you happy, you do. I am also about to put my place on the market and move from VT to FL. (Dr's Suggestion and it is time before there is no time left.). I am excited to embark on a new journey and experience different things! So, go for it and with determination, a great attitude and an open mind you will be able to have a great experience! Good Luck! (As to your plumber, it is just sour grapes because he is unable to do the same thing and is an unhappy camper, don't mind him.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues