Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times

Advertisements

Florida is the state that most people want to leave...reading through general moving and individual state forums I've notice that there are a lot more people looking to leave Florida than any other state.

Tennessee seems to be where a lot of people would like to relocate to...

Anyone else notice this....?

Last edited by tiluha; 01-21-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:10 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I used to live In florida and I left for Ohio but now Im going to south carolina next yr in the spring of 2013.My kids still live there and I wish they did 'nt but hey south carolina aint that far away . Yes alot of ppl want to leave florida because that state is going down hill fast .

Old 01-21-2012, 07:20 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Hmmm...can't really say for sure. I do see a lot of parents complain about the educational system in Florida. I am originally from MI and know lots of people that have left due to the economy (myself included). I think no matter what state there is always someone looking to get out for various reasons.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 PM

304 posts, read 617,449 times
Florida sucks - hot all year (oh, I think it dropped to below 75 for a few days this "winter"), traffic is unbearable, you need to be bilingual to find work (South Florida only), high unemployment, high crime, housing market in the toilet....I could keep typing, but I am tired.

I can't comment on TN - I personally don't know anyone that wants to move there, although I hear it is beautiful. Most people I know that have left Fla have moved to North Carolina. I know a few that moved to Atlanta.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Hmmm...can't really say for sure. I do see a lot of parents complain about the educational system in Florida. I am originally from MI and know lots of people that have left due to the economy (myself included). I think no matter what state there is always someone looking to get out for various reasons.
.... and, according to population growth statistics, those leaving .... pass an even greater number of people heading South into Florida --- (as they head North.) Glad to hear that the economy and weather is so good North of Florida! As for us, we moved to Florida from the midwest almost 40-years ago and still love it --- no plans of moving away from Florida. Re: Education; national statistics paint a far different picture than your post.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
.... Re: Education; national statistics paint a far different picture than your post.
I don't know the national statistics compared to Florida and even then it would depend on the district. All I know is I have seen many posts from parents living in Florida state they don't like the schools.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
.... and, according to population growth statistics, those leaving .... pass an even greater number of people heading South into Florida --- (as they head North.) Glad to hear that the economy and weather is so good North of Florida! As for us, we moved to Florida from the midwest almost 40-years ago and still love it --- no plans of moving away from Florida. Re: Education; national statistics paint a far different picture than your post.
Not according to this 2011 USA Today Article...

"Florida went from a handsome net gain from other states to a net loss"...

Migration slowdown is Sun Belt's loss and North's gain

Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I lived there. It was okay. The people are different.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,964 times
That depends on the period of time you're considering and what you read.

In November, 2011, the U.S. Census Bureau released their American Community Survey. That new demographic data provides a detailed glimpse into the migration trends in U.S. for the post-recessionary years of 2008 through 2010. According to the Census Bureau, Florida was largely an outbound state.

In January 2012, three of the largest national household goods movers release their migration patterns for 2011 based on their customers' shipment data. Both United Van Lines and Allied Van Lines showed that Florida was a high inbound state, while Atlas Van Lines showed it was balanced.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 AM

74 posts, read 275,115 times
Because Florida sucks lol at least South Florida. Like someone else has mentioned; horrible education, hard to find jobs if you're not bilingual (or even if you are), high crime is starting to appear more in what used to be good areas like Coral Springs and even Boca Raton. Too much culture (unless you like that sort of thing, personally I don't though), everyone is rude (there are rude people everywhere but I've lived in a few different states and Florida has by far the rudest) and it's INCREDIBLY hard to get along with people here. Everyone is very stand offish. Good luck getting your neighbors to be friendly (at least in my experience but I rent apartments)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues