Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider the political leanings of a location before moving there?
Yes, makes a difference to me 28 82.35%
No, I care about political issues, but don't let it influence where I live 5 14.71%
I don't care about politics 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wondering how many of us look at the political leanings of our destination before we choose to move. Would you move to a place that is known for politics on the opposite side of the spectrum compared to your views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 18,779 times
I wouldn't say it's a make-or-break, but it is something that can affect your quality of life, and can even be an issue of personal safety for some people.

We moved from St. Louis to Austin for my husband's job, and figured we were moving from a blue city in a red state to a bluer city in a redder state, so things would be roughly the same. No, not so much...Austin as a metro area is very conservative compared to STL, or really any city in Missouri except Springfield. Not a huge issue, but it was definitely something to adjust to.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:27 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
I would avoid moving to an area that is strongly socially conservative. I don't care if gays want to get married, I don't mind recycling, I don't want creationism taught as a valid scientific theory in public schools, I am not for liberal use of the death penalty (would prefer to live where it was abolished), etc.

It would be a break issue for me.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
A few years ago I didnt really consider it a huge issue. But being in a red state for now, yes it has a bearing on where I will choose to relocate in the future.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Yes and it shouldn't but it does.
Hate to admit it.

I'm not against moving to an area where my political leanings was in the minority by 5-10% based on the last presidential election. That's basically the situation where I live now. It's still relatively balanced. In a room of 10 random people, there'd be 4 that agree with me and 6 that don't.

What's a problem for me is when it's more like 2 people in the room that agree with me and when it affects public policy too heavily, counter to what I'm looking for.

The reality of the situation for me is that if I was set on moving somewhere where 7 people in the room agreed with me, I'd be limited to the farthest corners of the country that are the most expensive places in the country to live, where I wouldn't be able to make a living and where I would be the farthest from my family. So there's going to be a large percentage of people that I don't agree with politically but as long as I can find a few that do to associate with and as long as the policies aren't too backwards, I won't complain too much about it.

Not to mention, if everyone moves off to their red or blue corners, then the country will become even more divided than it already is.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
I moved from the Phoenix area because the local Republican Club dominated the HOA and made life uncomfotable for anyone who didn't goosestep along.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
^^^Then I'll have to change my vote.
I don't do HOA anything, Republican, Liberal or not.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
How about moving to an area where people care more about whether you're a good neighbor than whether you're conservative or liberal? (Good neighbors, as well as bad, do come in both stripes, you know.) Where you wouldn't know the political leanings of your neighbors, or care, unless there was an election and you saw a sign in their yard or bumper sticker on their car? Where pushing your political leanings on others is considered in bad taste, though you're more than free to have them, of course? Where you could have all sorts of friends to hang out with that might or might not share your politics, and you'd still have more than enough to talk about?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
How about moving to an area where people care more about whether you're a good neighbor than whether you're conservative or liberal? (Good neighbors, as well as bad, do come in both stripes, you know.) Where you wouldn't know the political leanings of your neighbors, or care, unless there was an election and you saw a sign in their yard or bumper sticker on their car? Where pushing your political leanings on others is considered in bad taste, though you're more than free to have them, of course?
That would be nice! I don't see that in the part of TX that I'm in. This experience has made me more likely to look at politics when deciding where to live.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
I consider it, but other things are more important. I've spent a good portion of my life living in areas where I know I'm in the minority politically. Even when I moved to California I ended up moving to one of the areas that was quite a bit like my home state.

It does bug me more at election time, and when I do hear political news from home I become determined that if I do move back it's not going to be long term. Eventually I'd like to live in one of the "swing states."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues