Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 08:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times

Advertisements

Fidelity has on-line banking that you can do from anywhere. And as far as I can see there are no banking fees whatsoever, even checks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
There are no Fidelity Investment centers in HI, so s/he would be mailing in the checks anyway, so why not stay with your current bank.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd96813 View Post
Anybody know what a good situation would be to start up a bank account here in Hawaii that I could access in California? Namely the San Francisco area.

My bank is one of the top banks here in Hawaii, but has no branches on the mainland. I know the banks here, ie. Bank of Hawaii, First Hawaiian, do not have branches in CA. Its not as if like Bank of America or Wells Fargo where you can use it in CA or NV or TX or even NY.

I know this may be an odd question, as I'm planning on a move ini the next few months, I would like to not have to depend on mailing my checks to my bank in Hawaii for them to clear. Banks here do not have that newer system some mainland banks where you can scan in the check.

Do banks have reciprocal agreements with mainland banks for depositing funds? My bank is First Hawaiian, and I do know they are affiliated with Bank of the West in California, as both are owned by BNP.

Not sure how this all works.

Maybe an ING account?? Something like Chase or Citibank?
You are learning what so many on the mainland take for granted, that everything is the same cause its all the USA. Ha!

First, each bank will have their own rules and agreements subject to change. When I was on Hawaii, the HCU account could be accessed for withdrawls and deposits at any ATM associated with Citi on the mainland. That changed to BoA. And now not sure who they deal with. I could use the ATM just as if a customer of that bank but I could not use the teller services. But each hawaii based bank will have an affiliation but how much access you have to that other banks services all depends. One thing you will notice is its not the same both ways, many mainland banks do not allow any use or acces through the hawaii banks. Some claim its because hawaii banks don't fee the custiners to death and others claim they don't want their custiners exposed to personal friendly custiomer service.

Also, the banks with presnece on Hawaii and the mainland are normally foreign financial institutions so they don't engage in interstate commerce. If you deposit money on Hawaii, its converted to another currency overnight, transfered to that clearing house, put into yuor account and if you need to withdraw in CA, it has to go through a conversion process back and they actually would be prohibited from alloweing you a deposit and withdrawl on the funds for X period of time to ensure its not interstate commerce.

Solutio is to contact all the major Hawaii banks, Credit Union, or other national financial institution on Hawaii and ask specificall what services are available to you at what mainlnad institution. Include what is allowed and what isn;t allowed. You need to ask if you can do X, Y or Z as uoi can;t assume that something us allowed.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 AM

67 posts, read 229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
If BOW doesn't work out, try Bank of the Orient. They have 3 branches in Honolulu and 5 in SF area

https://www.bankorient.com/branch/
Great idea. Never thought of them. They have a big branch downtown I see all the time walking by, plus an ATM a block from where I live. I ll check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
How often do you go into/get checks that need to be deposited?

My "bank" is in NJ, I have not been to it in over 10 years. The few checks I do get 3 or 4 a year (maybe), I just mail in. Yes it takes 3 day (max) for it to get there, but the checks are not big ones, and it not like life/death i need that money in my account today.
I don't know yet flyonpa, I just want to be 'ready' for all scenarios and being able to go and be able to have access to money and the services. I fully understand the mailing the checks in, but I just have an odd fear of that having a snafu when I really need it to work. I'm sure its quite effective and confident to do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Fidelity has on-line banking that you can do from anywhere. And as far as I can see there are no banking fees whatsoever, even checks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
There are no Fidelity Investment centers in HI, so s/he would be mailing in the checks anyway, so why not stay with your current bank.
I have found ING, which has an Ing Cafe (full service branch) both in Honolulu and San Francisco, plus several ATMS where you can use your Ing debit card. More in SF, but about 5 in Honolulu (including the ING Cafe. No min balance required, no fees at all. Plus you can order checks too. And free bill paying. (not that I use that anymore I just pay online myself)

PLUS,, they have this really cool feature where you can TAKE A PIC of the check with your phone!! and deposit it that way. No need to send it in or visit a branch. I heard about this happening on the mainland, but it has not caught on here in Hawaii. Caveat is that checks under $500 clear within 2 biz days, but checks over $500 take 5 biz days. Still, how innovative!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Solutio is to contact all the major Hawaii banks, Credit Union, or other national financial institution on Hawaii and ask specificall what services are available to you at what mainlnad institution. Include what is allowed and what isn;t allowed. You need to ask if you can do X, Y or Z as uoi can;t assume that something us allowed.
Yes, I will be contacting my bank this week to see what the options are. Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues