Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 AM

67 posts, read 229,488 times

Advertisements

Anybody know what a good situation would be to start up a bank account here in Hawaii that I could access in California? Namely the San Francisco area.

My bank is one of the top banks here in Hawaii, but has no branches on the mainland. I know the banks here, ie. Bank of Hawaii, First Hawaiian, do not have branches in CA. Its not as if like Bank of America or Wells Fargo where you can use it in CA or NV or TX or even NY.

I know this may be an odd question, as I'm planning on a move ini the next few months, I would like to not have to depend on mailing my checks to my bank in Hawaii for them to clear. Banks here do not have that newer system some mainland banks where you can scan in the check.

Do banks have reciprocal agreements with mainland banks for depositing funds? My bank is First Hawaiian, and I do know they are affiliated with Bank of the West in California, as both are owned by BNP.

Not sure how this all works.

Maybe an ING account?? Something like Chase or Citibank?

Last edited by ajd96813; 07-13-2012 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: I do apologize if this is the wrong forum. I thought this was more of a "moving' issue than the finance section of the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd96813 View Post
Anybody know what a good situation would be to start up a bank account here in Hawaii that I could access in California?
Bank of America - No cookies
Bank of America - No cookies

Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
I would suggest Wells Fargo. When I moved last year I left my WF account open in old state (just changed address). I can do anything at a WF branch in the new state that I could at old. I too had a BOW account, and tried to do same. Had to just close it as those people were clueless about anything that was not local.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
This can be a problem, I have a US bank account, I used to have a Chase account, but when I moved, there was no Chase bank here, locally...

Ha ha...I hear Facebook is going to have a bank soon...

Old 07-13-2012, 02:42 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,374,505 times
Do yourself a favor.
Do NOT use one of those large mega banks that others have suggested.
BoA is a TERRIBLE bank.

Your best bet is to set up a new account with local community bank or credit union in california.
If the plan is to travel back in forth between the two cities for the foreseeable future, you can easily transfer funds online between the two separate banks.

But seriously... citibank, chase, wells fargo... these are all terrible banks and their execs belong behind bars.

As a personal rule, I would not consider any bank where if I had a problem that could not be resolved by anyone else, that I couldn't literally walk right into the office of the president of the bank. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
There are credit union service centers all over the US, that may be a good option.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:10 AM

67 posts, read 229,488 times
Thanks all. I think the issue for me is actually opening an account here in Honolulu, then being able to access it easily here in Honolulu as well as in San Francisco. There are no BofA branches in Hawaii, nor Wells Fargo.

It may be possible to utilize a Bank of the West branch in SF, (as they are headquartered there) and my bank (First Hawaiian) is affiliated with BofWest in some way as well as both being owned by BNP in France.

I ll have to investigate this more. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
If BOW doesn't work out, try Bank of the Orient. They have 3 branches in Honolulu and 5 in SF area

https://www.bankorient.com/branch/

Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
How often do you go into/get checks that need to be deposited?

My "bank" is in NJ, I have not been to it in over 10 years. The few checks I do get 3 or 4 a year (maybe), I just mail in. Yes it takes 3 day (max) for it to get there, but the checks are not big ones, and it not like life/death i need that money in my account today.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,693 times
Look up Woodforest, they have branches in 17 states and I really like them, but I don't know if they have branches in your part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues