Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,363 times

Advertisements

I am trying to prepare myself for potentially moving in the near future.
I recently had back surgery, so there is no way I can move myself. And even if I could, I don't have family near, and getting buddies to help would be next to impossible.
So, I will have to hire movers, which I hate to do, but oh well.
About 6-7 years ago, an exgf of mine hired movers, and I think it cost about $1500. She had more stuff then I do though, as she was a bit of a pack rat.
Is $1000-$2000 reasonable to move a one- two bedroom place about 50 miles maximum ?

Are you 'supposed' to buy the guys lunch ?
What about tip? In this economy, $2000 is a lot of money, and then we are supposed to tip ? We don't tip plumbers and electricians, as I expect movers probably make $15-$20 an hour minimum.

What is standard practice in hiring movers for the above issues ?

When my exgf and I moved, the movers EXPECTED lunch, and the exgf mom gave a tip of close to $100 dollars. It was funny, cause when the bill was paid, the 3 guys divided up the money right in front of us and went on their way. Nothing like splitting up 1500 between 3 guys and walking away with $500 each for a hard days work. And lunch AND tip also ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
So, I will have to hire movers, which I hate to do, but oh well.

Is $1000-$2000 reasonable to move a one- two bedroom place about 50 miles maximum ?

Are you 'supposed' to buy the guys lunch ?
What about tip? In this economy, $2000 is a lot of money, and then we are supposed to tip?
We don't tip plumbers and electricians, as I expect movers probably make $15-$20 an hour minimum.

What is standard practice in hiring movers for the above issues?

When my exgf and I moved, the movers EXPECTED lunch, and the exgf mom gave a tip of close to $100 dollars. It was funny, cause when the bill was paid, the 3 guys divided up the money right in front of us and went on their way. Nothing like splitting up 1500 between 3 guys and walking away with $500 each for a hard days work. And lunch AND tip also ?
I'll tell you my experiences as a moving services provider.
We did not expect anything, see below.
Some jobs we got tips and some we did not.
Lunch was rare. They might give my crew X dollars so we could stop on our way out, to get something to eat. I once received a new handtruck as a tip.
We once got a tip of $5.00 and there were 3 of us.
I think the largest tip was $125.00.
I hired my own help since I was responsible for the job getting done properly.
Sometimes the customer would tip the guys I hired and not tip me.
Other times they tipped me, and the workers, but by handing us the tip individually.
I was always paid with a signed receipt in an envelope with the payment. The receipt so I could claim the wages and expenses. A copy for the customer if they could deduct the cost on their taxes.
We once had a job that started at 8am and concluded at 10pm. Three large storage units about 10 miles from the house. They treated us to Burger King for lunch, pizza at night, and drinks all day long.
My rule was that we take our own drinks, our own food, and assume no tips. That way, we were pleased when their was one, and not disappointed when there was not.
If you were in my area and 1-2 bedroom going 50 miles, I'm sure my crew could give you a price in your budget of $1000-$2000, most likely in the middle or to the lower end.
Some jobs was by the hour per person or per crew of 2-3-4, some by the job.
People downsizing by leaving stuff behind, often gave us stuff. Once we got home we'd divide it up in some way, or if no one needed the items, we'd sell it on Craigslist and divide the proceeds.
Tips.....Lunch.....are in my opinion, up to the customer 100%.
There were jobs where we were not even offered a glass of water out of the kitchen faucet. We were not offended as these people were as nice as they could be. But, some people forget the logical things to do. We never divided money in front of a customer. If they did not tip, I would often tip my workers out of my pocket.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
Pricing depends on where you're moving from and to. Interstate moves across state lines are regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Check out the Protect Your Move website for consumer protection tips.

Some states like Illinois also regulate household goods carriers. Carriers are required to file a tariff with the Illinois Commerce Commission. Check out the ICC's Top 10 Things You Should Do Before Hiring A Mover. For residential moves within Illinois, a mover is not allowed to give you a discount except on certain limited local moves.

How much do I tip the movers? | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I always tipped each mover 20 bucks. They did a good job and it saved us from doing it!!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I always feed my movers, I usually pick up a rotisserie chicken, shred it with some BBQ sauce and put out some rolls, chips and cookies. I also tip if they have done a good job, usually $20 bucks or so each.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
seriously??? tipping & meals?! now that's something I never would have thought of. I didn't tip & feed the roofers, or the plumber. It's really expected that I tip & feed movers? the bill is going to be high enough (a few thousand dollars) with a lot of stuff interstate. and of course there's packing into the truck and unloading into the house (no they don't have to put my bed together, but they gotta get it up to the bedroom. I'll do the rest. same with the dressers.)

the place we're moving to is pretty rural: no delivery, no take out - gotta go around 1/2 hour to find anything.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
WannaComeHome, normally, if a full-service mover disassembles something to load it, they reassemble it at destination. That free service is particularly important if hardware is involved.

When a crew has stop loading/delivering at lunchtime to secure both the homeowner's goods and their equipment, disconnect the tractor from the trailer, clean up, go find a restaurant, eat, return and reconnect the power unit, and then get their moving equipment out extends the length of time to complete the move by about two hours on average.

It usually during these periods away from the home that items become misplaced, lost, or stolen.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
The movers don't expect lunch or a tip, but I know they have a hard job and if I can have them leave feeling good then I feel my items are taken care of just a little better. We done a lot of moves and since I've started feeding and tipping the movers I have never had a lost or broken item. Over all tip and food costs me about $100 and is well worth it for me.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
3 movers.
3 Burger King whoppers and fries.
3 drinks.
Bottled water before and after lunch.
Maybe $15-$20 (?) to give the movers a better experience than they may have gotten on their last job.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
WannaComeHome, normally, if a full-service mover disassembles something to load it, they reassemble it at destination. That free service is particularly important if hardware is involved.
huh. well, the bed is easy, DH can pop the rails and it comes apart.I don't think there's any furniture that needs disassembling. Maybe this desk I'm using, but we haven't decided if we're taking it. and it may be already taken apart.

Quote:
When a crew has stop loading/delivering at lunchtime to secure both the homeowner's goods and their equipment, disconnect the tractor from the trailer, clean up, go find a restaurant, eat, return and reconnect the power unit, and then get their moving equipment out extends the length of time to complete the move by about two hours on average.
I see your point. but.. I would have expected people bring their lunches. I know DH brings his lunch to work. it's cheaper than eating out. and you don't have to worry about leaving the trailer unsecured.

I guess, it's been 30 years that we've been in this house, and we've always done the moving ourselves sometimes with a few friends. This is all quite new!

Here's part of my dilemma: I plan on leaving that morning with the cats while the movers are pcaking up (crazy,I know!) and leaving poor DH to deal with the movers. I need to be in the house with the cats sequestered before the movers deliver. Everything has to be boxed and ready to go that day - day after christmas, how insane are we?!- so we don't hit the weekend. we need to be out of the house by New Years so there is no way possible this money-grubbing state can possibly claim we are residents and tax us. there's also medical/insurance issues.

So... back on the topic of etiquette... what else has not remotely occurred to me?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues