Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM

214 posts, read 468,342 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving from long island to florida. We have many musical instruments.

I am not worried about the pianos or the organ.

I am concerned about the guitars (both electric and acoustic), sitar (very fragile), banjo and mandolin.

Would it be sufficient to entrust the moving company with these items? We plan on using one of the more well known, such as allied or united

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
If you have ATA rated cases I wouldn't worry. Touring shows pack expensive gear in trucks and vans and travel all over and of course retailers take delivery of musical instruments every day through various modes of transport. I have known musicians who have checked nice guitars in the cargo hold of an airplane half way around the world , the case got damaged but the instument was okay. It was not an ATA rated case. If they will let you personaly load and unload the gear that would be advisable. I would bet most moving companies are aware of the risks associated with moving musical instruments.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:09 PM

what if you don't have ata rated cases? I can ship them on ahead to someone's house, so I was thinking to go to UPS and have them wrap and ship them. We have the packing boxes they came in, some with cases, but not heavy duty cases.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
Are you driving? Do you have enough room in your car for the more fragile instruments?

When we moved, we entrusted the ones that could handle Army movers (generally OK), but had them in heavy duty cases. I brought all of my woodwind and brass instruments in the car.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 PM

244 posts, read 667,707 times
Are you driving or flying down? If you are driving, then take them with you.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 AM

We are driving down (auto train) but don't have enough room for 12 guitars plus the computers and some clothes

Old 07-26-2013, 10:01 AM

85 posts, read 259,352 times
If you have the boxes they came in, use those. If you have cases for them, use those.

Otherwise don't worry about it.

Loosen the strings half a turn so they won't snap.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
We are planning on moving from long island to florida. We have many musical instruments.

I am not worried about the pianos or the organ.

I am concerned about the guitars (both electric and acoustic), sitar (very fragile), banjo and mandolin.

Would it be sufficient to entrust the moving company with these items? We plan on using one of the more well known, such as allied or united

thanks in advance

With regards to the bluegrass instruments, I'd be more concerned with the possible heat damage, assuming you have a reasonably sound case. Invest in some insulated case covers to protect against both temperature extremes as well as rapid temperature changes, both of which can destroy acoustic instruments.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
We entrusted a large mirror and two stained glass windows to our mover, who had a crater build "crates" for them. I would discuss this issue with the mover, to see if they can safely pack and move your instruments.

However, I don't think I would want to have them in storage in terrible summer heat, at least not for very long. So there is that aspect.

UPS will package your things, but I am not sure they are that great at packing. I entrusted a lamp to a UPS person, and the lampshade arrived bent out of shape. (I didn't find out about it until several years later.)

I think the major issue is how they would be packed by the mover. I trusted my mover to pack all my fragile items. I trusted them far more than I trusted me! You should have seen how well they packed my stuff!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM

302 posts, read 499,805 times
I know this was years ago, but, when my parents moved from Arkansas to Florida, the guitar and flute made it in the moving truck with no problem. They were packed in hard case moving crates. My mother's cello was also in a hard case moving crate and it was stolen. All told, in that move with movers, she lost 1 cello, 4 boxes of china, 1 antique chest filled with hand made antique doll clothes and her wedding dress. After contacting the company, all that was returned was the wedding dress. Movers sold the rest or something. Since then, we have never trusted moving companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues