Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 17,518 times

Advertisements

Hey, Im alittle nervous and trying to figure out how diffucult it will be to move by myself, I will be moving from Phoenix AZ to Seattle WA, this will be my first time driving a truck and trailer to hold my car, How hard is it to drive? any pointers for me to know? Im just nervous because the biggest thing I have ever driven was a Ford F150, Being a girl and bymyself I definetly dont want to cause damage to the truck or myself trying to figure out how the hell to drive it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:21 PM

also side not the truck will be 16' and I will be towing a Honda Accord 2001 LX sedan

Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleebrown View Post
Hey, Im a little nervous and trying to figure out how diffucult it will be
my first time driving a truck and trailer to hold my car ... Phoenix AZ to Seattle WA

How hard is it to drive?
Wind. It's a bich and you'll have a lot of it.

Which route you might drive (snow and whatnot) won't matter much.
Heck, driving the F150 by itself will be a PITA.

Seriously consider SELLING the car in AZ... or hiring a transporter.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Not really giving enough information as to the rig you are driving.

But your Major problem is there is very Big Mountains along the way.

brushrunner

Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM

it would be a 12ft Penske truck Facts & Features12 ft. ..Room Capacity1-2 roomsAvailable for Round-Triphttp://www.pensketruckrental.com/img/checkmark.pnghttp://www.pensketruckrental.com/img/checkmark.pngFlat FloorsCruise ControlSome modelsSeating Option2-person bucket1,000 lb. Loading RampVehicle TowingFuel Efficiency*12 ft.Fuel Tank35 gal.Diesel FuelMiles per Gallon (Est.)12 mpgMeasurements**12 ft.Cargo Interior12' long
6'5" wide
6' highFloor Space73 sq. ft.Storage Space450 cu. ft.Load Capacity3,000 lbs.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Wind. It's a bich and you'll have a lot of it.

Which route you might drive (snow and whatnot) won't matter much.
Heck, driving the F150 by itself will be a PITA.

Seriously consider SELLING the car in AZ... or hiring a transporter.

I will not sell my car and I am going in the summer so no snow will be present at the time ...

Old 11-21-2013, 12:54 PM

and I dont have money for movers , My fiancee is stationed in Washington so there will be people in WA to help unload in such

Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Penske has a list of tips on their website

Driving Tips - Penske Personal Truck Rental
Towing Equipment - Penske Personal Truck Rental
watch the videos re loading car carrier

Main items are
avoid backing, look for "pull-through" parking spots
watch your height, look out for overhangs at gas stops and motels
stopping will take longer

Re route, consider taking I-10 to the I-5 in CA, then I-5 to Seattle. US 93 to I-84 is less than 100 miles shorter, but has many long, lonely miles thru eastern Nevada.

Last edited by reed303; 11-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: more

Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Penske has a list of tips on their website

[URL="http://www.pensketruckrental.com/plan-your-move/drive.html"]Driving Tips - Penske Personal Truck Rental[/URL]
[URL="http://www.pensketruckrental.com/supplies-and-services/towing-equipment/"]Towing Equipment - Penske Personal Truck Rental[/URL]
watch the videos re loading car carrier

Main items are
avoid backing, look for "pull-through" parking spots
watch your height, look out for overhangs at gas stops and motels
stopping will take longer

Re route, consider taking I-10 to the I-5 in CA, then I-5 to Seattle. US 93 to I-84 is less than 100 miles shorter, but has many long, lonely miles thru eastern Nevada.
yea I planned on taking nevada due to the shortened miles... I think im overthinking this, I figure hell you have to learn somehow?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:02 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
They're not hard to drive at all. You'll have to be careful rounding corners, especially with a car in tow and you'll also have to plan ahead when stopping for food, gas, etc… so as to not end up parked in a way you can't get out of. The hardest part is backing up because rear visibility is limited to the 2 side mirrors which makes it even harder to back up a trailer. Other than that, its pretty much like driving a truck, only bigger and slower. I definitely wouldn't say you need to sell your car to avoid having to tow it. If you're really worried about it maybe you can get a friend to drive it for you and pay for their return airfare and gas. Or else hire a moving van for all the stuff and drive yourself out in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues