Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times

Advertisements

Our move date just got moved up and I need to get this house-- all 5 bedrooms and 3000 sq feet of it (eeek!)-- packed up within the next 33 days.

Where's the best place to buy wardrobe boxes? TV boxes (2 50" and one 42" plasmas)? Bubble wrap? Shrink wrap? Anything else that I'm forgetting?

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
We're getting all of ours from Home Depot. I got that recommendation from a friend who has moved at least 13 times in her adult life.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 PM

105 posts, read 274,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Our move date just got moved up and I need to get this house-- all 5 bedrooms and 3000 sq feet of it (eeek!)-- packed up within the next 33 days.

Where's the best place to buy wardrobe boxes? TV boxes (2 50" and one 42" plasmas)? Bubble wrap? Shrink wrap? Anything else that I'm forgetting?

Thanks, all!
Best place for wardrobe boxes is a Uhaul store/dealer. They're relateively cheap (I think around $10) and are BIG. I was able to fit my whole closet in one box. Don't forget the metal bar for hanging.

For the TV boxes, you might also want to try Uhaul for their "artwork boxes". Once you get the tv in, stuff the sides with bubble wrap and you should be ok. I'm going to try that for our 50" and 32" when we move in a few months. Let me know if it works for you.

I always got my bubble wrap and shrink wrap from Home Depot or Lowes. They have the industrial sized stuff.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:21 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Every large city will have a cardboard box maker.
They'll sell their perfectly clean and fine mistakes rather inexpensively.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 PM

54 posts, read 96,632 times
A co-worker says the boxes at home depot is cheap. So, if you can't get free boxes, home depot.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
You might take a quick look on Craigslist. People who have just moved will often sell their moving boxes afterwards.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
I ordered a bunch online from Uhaul. That way I didn't have to fool with trying to transport them in my little car--delivered right to my door. I also bought a few boxes locally from Home Depot. The Uhaul boxes were heavier/sturdier, & comparably priced, so I recommend them instead.

As far as packing materials, I got some big rolls of bubble wrap on Amazon, and a couple of huge bags of peanuts on eBay. Worked out great--our move was a month ago.

Uhaul also sells boxes for liquor that hold a lot of weight & you can buy the styrofoam inserts if you're transporting bottles. The big dish barrels are versatile, as are the big "microwave" boxes--they can hold a lot of weight. I also recommend their book boxes.

We bought TV boxes, but ended up using them for pictures/mirrors. We just wrapped the TVs in the blankets & hoped for the best. After reading all the horror stories about TV damage, we braced ourselves for the worst. We lucked out. They all made it, including the 70 inch 3D!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times
Thanks, all.. found someone on CL that was selling 12 U-Haul wardrobes and 8 U-Haul dish boxes for $70 (not the best price ever and I negotiated down from $110, but a hair less than 1/2 price for boxes that are necessary).. plus my friends have collected a ton of boxes for me over the last few days.

Going to grab bubble wrap and peanuts from eBay or Amazon-- thanks for that recommendation. Need to figure out the TV thing, my husband is freaked out about the thought of moving his 'babies'-- plus we have some artwork that we'll need to protect well, too. I know that 'real' movers crate TVs and artwork, wondering if I can find someone to do the same for a decent price..

And, just found two college students who will help me pack, too-- so I think we're in pretty good shape, just need to get going, we have less than a month to go!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Get some newsprint from a local newspaper or get it online Amazon.com : SALE: Packing Paper - Our Top Seller - Large Bundle - Size: 24" x 36" - Brand: Cheap Cheap Moving Boxes : Box Mailers : Office Products
You will need it for dishes, collectibles, all sorts of stuff.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
I love apple and banana boxes for moving. You have to ask at a grocery store, but they work great. Sturdy, not too big, built in handles and lid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues