Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you all have stories, what are they?

Was it a bad house/apt, living situation, job, city, weather, move itself?

Please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Moved to take Temporary job assignment (Intra-Company Transfer for 6-12 months)

The Day I arrived in town (Small town) The company announced they were shutting down a Future multi-Billion Dollar Project that was there. (We heard about the shutdown on the news... So some how the Wall Street Journal found out before the company told the guys there)...

Boy it was a Fun year there... as we mothball'ed the operation works that had been started.

Most of the People in Town were ok, they know the 4 of us had nothing to do with the closing of the project. The few that lost Big $'s speculating on land near by, were not so nice...

Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
In the service - Flew out of San Francisco to Tokyo Japan. Had not clue where to go and how to get to my final destination which was 4 hours away by train. I asked a few questions and found the right train. It certainly was an adventure but worked out.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
Moved in the dead of winter 500 miles away with two kids and a dog. The moving truck driver got sick in the same motel we stayed at along the way. When we got there, the dog threw up all over and I had to leave with the baby as it was 50 degrees in the house. Later we found out the reason they were renting out the place was because the old guy that lived there DIED in it and wasnt found for two weeks. Oh boy!!!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Moved in the dead of winter 500 miles away with two kids and a dog. The moving truck driver got sick in the same motel we stayed at along the way. When we got there, the dog threw up all over and I had to leave with the baby as it was 50 degrees in the house. Later we found out the reason they were renting out the place was because the old guy that lived there DIED in it and wasnt found for two weeks. Oh boy!!!
Dayum, dats messed up dawg.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
a few moves ago, i had hired a professional mover. i then got with some people who suggested i not take the professional movers, but do the christian thing (they said) and hire a guy who worked for a moving company but i'd be helping him out (helping out the little guy). so i did.

i moved out some of my valuables like my tv and electronics myself, and this guy gave a look around and said wheres all my stuff (valuable stuff).

then he said he needed a deposit so he could get the truck. i gave him $200.

on moving day, he NEVER SHOWED UP. long story short, he was a criminal, was fired one week ago from the moving company and they suggested i call the police. police found him, suggested that i will never get my money back, the guy was living on welfare in the housing projects and so i had to count that as a loss.

i went to where that thief was working in a bowling alley and he promised he would give me my money back and he never did.

good thing he did not move me because he probably would have stolen ALL my stuff, my furniture, etc. so thats what i get for trying to help the little guy. however, the guys who recommended this thief to me did not know he was a thief and those guys went and helped me move since it was their fault they recommended this thief to me (they didn't know he was a thief).. so it worked out. Thank God!

the other worst thing was this recent move of mine, financially. i had to get out of the hell hole i was living in. i got out of my lease early, however, i incurred extra financial unexpected expenses, like i found out i was moving in 2 weeks. i went to where i paid the garage to park, and so since i did not give them 30 days notice, since it was the middle of april when i foudn out i could escape my hell hole of a rat hole apartment i was living in this past year,,, i had to pay for this month parking even though i moved out on the 1st of this month. so that was money down the drain. and annoying that they would not budge. they said i had to give them 30 days notice, but that was impossible because i didn't know about moving till the middle of april. i had to pay for May grrrrr

Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
I was staying in an apartment during training and was told that I needed to vacate that apartment and move to another one in the same building. They wanted to do some repairs on the fireplace. Then my good ol' cat ran up the fire place and decided to claw into it and stay...and stay...and stay about half way up.

Now we had stayed in the apartment and never used the fire place for over a month, knowing it was not functional. And until the apartment folks came in and started looking up it my cat had not noticed it. But after all the attention she certainly had to inspect it and the damper, etc. had been removed.

The cat would not come down. Eventually the apartment maintenance worker decided to go up on the roof and see if the cat could by reached better that way, but when he took off the spark arrester the cat came back out the bottom.

Filthy but well loved cat then moved on to the next apartment with me.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Almost 30 years ago I was out of work and finally found a job that almost paid the bills. The job was 60 miles from where I lived so I loaded up the car and moved with no idea where I would live. Found a room at a run down sort of boarding house. The basement had been converted into 5 bedrooms. There was a tiny kitchen and one bathroom. I got the last remaining room. The one no one else wanted. No window or closet. The door did not lock. The owner of the place did not provide any cleaning of the common areas. Of the 4 other guys there, 3 were ok. The 4th guy was boarderline insane. Even when he was on his med's you did not dare turn your back on him. I was there 3 weeks before finding a better place.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
I wouldn't call it a miserable experience, but it was quite the adventure when I move to Manhattan, NYC. Had all my stuff in the car, couldn't find a place to park that didn't cost a small fortune, and couldn't find an apartment right away. Then, my car was towed away with all my stuff in it and I thought it was stolen. Cost me a fortune to get it back from the tow yard. Finally, after about four days, I found an apartment and all was well.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
After my father passed away, I left Chicago for Montana to get away. Although I am appreciative for my friend letting me stay with him and his family, it was ultra crowded in the house as he had 5 kids. 3 adults, 2 teenagers, and 2 kids under 10 sharing one bathroom (kid #5 was an infant). I had no vehicle at the time and took a job managing 4 learning centers scattered about town. It was a 2 mile walk to my office, with the 4 learning centers spread out in different directions ranging from 1-3 miles away. The walk home was uphill. I started the job in November, so my morning walks to work were in 0 to single digit weather in the snow. The wages were poor and when I got off work, there was very little to do. The bars in this small town were virtually empty even on Friday nights. Single woman in their 20's, pretty much non-existent. With nothing to do and few people it seemed in my age group that weren't taking care of families, boredom was overwhelming. When I snapped out of my grief, I bailed after only living there 3-4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues