Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 PM

30 posts, read 50,130 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving from Indiana to South Carolina. I'm a lifelong weightlifter, and I have about 1100 lbs of barbells, dumbbells, and plates. I believe interstate movers charge somewhere around $0.40 - $0.60 per lb, which comes out to around $440 - $660. Are there any other exercise nuts out there who have figured-out a cheaper way? I'm looking into the possibility of renting an elephant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,390,257 times
Trucking. It's per skid, and all your plates would go on one Chep size oak pallet.
Call around to trucking companies the run between your cities, probably a regional line.
If you load the skid and tie things down right you should be ok.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,018,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Trucking. It's per skid, and all your plates would go on one Chep size oak pallet.
Call around to trucking companies the run between your cities, probably a regional line.
If you load the skid and tie things down right you should be ok.
Generally trucking companies charge by actual weight or dimensional weight. If the shipment is small but heavy they will use actual weight. If it is a bunch of large but light boxes they will use dimensional weight. If they are simply charging a flat rate per skid chances are there will be a max weight limit or the flat rate will be high enough to give them a profit on even heavy shipments.

However, using a trucking company versus a household moving company will probably save you a substancial amout of money. You will save even more if you have the means to deliver your stuff to the trucking company freight dock and pick it up from the freight dock at the destination.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,046,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Generally trucking companies charge by actual weight or dimensional weight. If the shipment is small but heavy they will use actual weight. If it is a bunch of large but light boxes they will use dimensional weight. If they are simply charging a flat rate per skid chances are there will be a max weight limit or the flat rate will be high enough to give them a profit on even heavy shipments.

However, using a trucking company versus a household moving company will probably save you a substancial amout of money. You will save even more if you have the means to deliver your stuff to the trucking company freight dock and pick it up from the freight dock at the destination.

OP, the thing to check for in quoting an LTL carrier is what their up-charge is for a residential pickup (they'll need a liftgate which usually has an add'l fee) so that is added to the quotes your are putting together. I do agree on the dock pickup in SC, as residential delivery from an LTL carrier will have the same added cost bump noted earlier, and usually the pallet would be dropped curbside. If allowed, pick it up at their terminal and just use a local rental truck if needed to carry the 1100#s of equipment from there to your new place.

That said, how are you moving the rest of your stuff down to SC? Hiring out a moving company or loading up a Uhaul/Penske and driving it down yourself? I'd still get quotes from all sides to see what's best cost-wise but also time-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues