Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,589 times

Advertisements

So I live in a small town of about 2,000 people in Montana, even though the mountains are beautiful my family wants to move. We are a young family in our mid-twenties, with just my boyfriend, daughter and me. I am finding out that I am very picking when it comes to finding a place to settle down. It’s stressful!! My list of things is kind of long but I’m sure there are some things I could compromise with/without. I still want to live by mountains but I’m tired of half the year being COLD. I want to be somewhere warmer. I thought about Arizona but I can’t have a yard without grass! We are also wanting a place that has quite a bit more people, preferably near a city. (I have always wanted to live in a big city, but I don’t want my daughter growing up in one) We would like a place with things to go do, and people to meet. I have a dog also and we will need room for her. I am going to school for my Associates in Business Administration and I have NO idea if that would help me in a specific place or not. (Just throwing it out there though lol) The two MAIN things we are looking for are AFFORDABLE and SAFE places. We don’t have much income now with my boyfriend only working but if I can get a good job with my degree we will both be working. That brings me to another thing, places that have jobs available! That is important to us too because if we move obviously we will both have to find jobs and find a babysitter. If there is such a place that fits all of even a few of these things please let me know. I have been looking for at least a couple of months and I don’t even know where to look next. I’m lost!!! HELP!!

Any help or info is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 AM

13,825 posts, read 30,047,507 times
Try Medford, OR.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:14 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,419,581 times
I've heard "too cold" before so we left CT for a few years and are now looking for a place in the North East.

Our moves are driven by job opportunities. If you're employed there, don't move if you don't have a job waiting for you where you're going.

Arizona? SERIOUSLY? Talk about extreme opposites. You'll probably be miserable there.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,103,671 times
Arizona has mountains....Northern AZ (Flagstaff); but it's not affordable, so that's off your list.

Affordable/Safe/Jobs....um, well that limits your opportunities significantly. I suppose if there were such a place it would be extremely crowded.

Maybe if you try one of the online 'find your spot', 'find the best place to live' websites it may aid in helping you narrow down your choices. Then once you have a short-list you could visit the area(s) and get a first-hand look (even though we all realize that visiting is not the same as living there).

Having employment pre-move is a priority. If you go without a job (either of you) and end up financially strapped, no matter how wonderful the area is, it will end up a nightmare.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Let us know how things are going for you guys!

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 06:42 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 06:16 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,480,747 times
You might look at the Carolina's, Atlanta. Definitely warm, and within driving distance of both the Smokies and beaches. Growing economies, so good job opportunities.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,662,316 times
Quote:
I still want to live by mountains but I’m tired of half the year being COLD. I want to be somewhere warmer.
OP, I mean this kindly: the extremes of heat and humidity are also bothersome. I grew up in Michigan and it was the dream of many who shoved snow through our harsh winters to move to Florida.

Unfortunately, July and August in many "warm" places are like being shoved into blast furnaces and the other summer months aren't that much better.

There are people who thrive on such hot conditions. Perhaps you are one of the them! Otherwise, I would suggest being accepting of "some cold" because it will increase the number of lower cost places that are "family friendly."

For example, I dislike "extreme cold," so my chances of settling willingly in Duluth, MN are about zilch. However, Des Moines, IA is warmer than that, although some complain about our harsh winters.

And I agree with taking the "Find Your Spot" quiz. It got me looking at some smaller towns I hadn't considered.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:36 AM

8,223 posts, read 8,450,854 times
Tennessee of Arkansas

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,192,730 times
im headed to the Carolinas in 8 months....can't wait and loving every thought of it .

Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 AM

77 posts, read 304,382 times
What about the DC metro area? Plenty of quiet semi rural neighborhoods in MD or VA. I lived in Lake ridge, had a big yard and a quiet neighborhood. I was never more than 45 minutes away.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM

77 posts, read 304,382 times
Not to mention our economy is doing quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues