Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 AM

9 posts, read 27,060 times

Advertisements

I will be leaving Southern California after 40 years, about 1800 miles to the eastern area of Tennessee. Im done with the rat race, taxes, high prices and stupid politics here. I'm now 61.
When its all finished I will be shipping 2 relocubes and driving my Chevy Silverado across country, solo. Its been awhile since Ive done a cross country trip, the last one was on my Harley at 40. I laugh at myself as I load a couple of junkyard bound pallets with very expensive relics of my life only to fish out my old US Navy ship's ZIPPO lighter ( I dont even smoke anymore).
It's daunting and exciting at the same time. So many details, selling a house, finding a place, renting, buying, what to ship, what to junk. Lucky I have 6 months to make it happen.
If that isnt enough , throw in a likely recession. This thread has been inspirational. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 09:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Got tired of freezing me arse off in NJ and came to FL in 1972.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:40 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider951 View Post
I will be leaving Southern California after 40 years, about 1800 miles to the eastern area of Tennessee. Im done with the rat race, taxes, high prices and stupid politics here. I'm now 61.
When its all finished I will be shipping 2 relocubes and driving my Chevy Silverado across country, solo. Its been awhile since Ive done a cross country trip, the last one was on my Harley at 40. I laugh at myself as I load a couple of junkyard bound pallets with very expensive relics of my life only to fish out my old US Navy ship's ZIPPO lighter ( I dont even smoke anymore).
It's daunting and exciting at the same time. So many details, selling a house, finding a place, renting, buying, what to ship, what to junk. Lucky I have 6 months to make it happen.
If that isnt enough , throw in a likely recession. This thread has been inspirational. Thanks.
I am in the same boat as you, going from CA to TN. BUT I have been planning it for over 3 years. Bought the fixer upper in TN, and fix it a little more each vacation. And going through the stuff in CA, slowly weeding out the way too much stuff to take things.

My difference from you is that I am bringing my two now 12 year old pack rats with me They want to bring everything!

Sure glad we have 3 years to pack

Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Does buying a second home in Florida count?

Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
5 years ago when I was 52 we moved from Houston to Kuwait in the Middle East. Last year at 57 moved back to Houston but bought a house in Puerto Rico and living there part time. Will wrap up work and probably move full time to Puerto Rico at age 58 in a few months. 50s is prime time for adventure, Baby! The wife and I will rest when we're dead.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 27,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I am in the same boat as you, going from CA to TN. BUT I have been planning it for over 3 years. Bought the fixer upper in TN, and fix it a little more each vacation. And going through the stuff in CA, slowly weeding out the way too much stuff to take things.

My difference from you is that I am bringing my two now 12 year old pack rats with me They want to bring everything!

Sure glad we have 3 years to pack
Where did you end up buying in TN? What did you like about the area you chose? ps. Make sure you tie-up all loose ends (accounts, etc.) California has a sneaky way of trying to classify us escapees as "dual residents". You don't want that.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:10 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider951 View Post
Where did you end up buying in TN? What did you like about the area you chose? ps. Make sure you tie-up all loose ends (accounts, etc.) California has a sneaky way of trying to classify us escapees as "dual residents". You don't want that.
I ended up in a small community part way between Knoxville and Nashville called Crossville. I liked it as the community has lots of lakes, which the kids like, and lots of new people, retiree types, so new people are easily accepted. Its close to Cookeville for larger store shopping choices, or Knoxville. But it does have what I would need on a regular basis locally--Walmart, KMart, Sears, Lowes, Ace Hardware and millions of various types of family dollar/dollar general type stores.

There are several state parks locally with rivers and waterfalls to enjoy. Kids are homeschooled and the community is very accepting of that. My kids are Indian--Maya and look Indian. When we visited here both of my kids were openly accepted, nothing racial, no stares. One neighbor told me that the only Indian people she knew of in the community were doctors or medical folks, and that may have helped them be accepted. Another person told me that she adopted a native American boy about 20 years ago and when he visited she will bring him by. He had no problems racially in the community.

My neighbors are great. During the past 2 years we have planted various bulbs--hundreds-- and several of my neighbors have sent me photos of the bulbs pushing through the dirt/snow and of the new blooms in the past few weeks.

Thanks for the warning about CA. I figure they will hunt me down no matter what. I hope to sell my CA home right before I move--hoping! And will close bank accounts, etc. to make it firmer to them! And my last CA tax will be clearly marked as my last! And the cars will be registered as soon as they reach TN. Lower rate and less taxes

I do not want to be a dual resident, the CA taxes are part of the reason I want to escape.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 AM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Well, I live in Ohio and have STRONGLY considered moving to Atlanta, which is 8.5 hours drive away. The issue is lining up a job and I'm losing patience with it. I really cannot stand being in Ohio any longer.

BTW, I'm 40y/o
is there any job you can get in Ohio that you can transfer to Atlanta?

I was in a similar situation as you. I was living in Tennessee and I hated it. I had no money to move back to Wisconsin and it felt hopeless. It was so soul-draining! I finally found a job that I hated but they hired everyone! I stuck it out for 8 months, saving all I could. The trouble was I didn't have a job in Wisconsin when I quit my job that I could no lojger stand. But it was either jumps and go or ??

I jumped and came to Wisconsin and face multiple problems that didn't work out as well as I want it. Or as fast! I was homeless and jobless. But I finally made my way and found a job I like and an apartment.

Get creative in your thinking about how to make this move. I know the answer is not go without a job! Don't do that. But what else can you do? Can you visit and try to get any kind of job to allow you to move there?

The important thing is making steps, i.e. saving money to go or writing out a plan (and revising as often as needed) or other... to get you on your way.

Best wishes.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:37 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Planning on it - no family, no kids, no hubby, and poor job prospects here. 50 is not old anymore - I read the average new retirement age is 62.

I do think we look for different things though, when we move at this age. For instance, most 20 year olds probably wouldn't factor hospital proximity into their equation.

It is scary, though, and you guys are my heros, too!

Old 03-09-2016, 08:44 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Moved by my federal agency from Seattle to my hometown in Texas. Fully paid, which was the only perk I've received in 30 years.

Used Uhaul to move our household goods and 2nd car, I drove the passenger car, husband drove the truck. Just bought a house in a terribly tight market, a total gut job and are renovating.

I'm 60 husband will be 70 this year.

Piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues