Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 AM

124 posts, read 176,889 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in approximately two weeks for work.

The house has been on the market for about 6 weeks with no offers so I am going to have to let it sit unoccupied until it sells. I have never moved or sold a home before so I don't know if it is customary to leave the electricity or disconnect it since no one will be there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Where is the House? Heat?

I would leave it on, Most showing will be later in the evening, No One is going to buy a house where they have to wonder around in the dark, and/or with a flashlight.

If you do get contract the Home Inspector will want to check the Plugs, Power etc, they can't do that if the power is off.

Leave it on.....

Old 10-21-2014, 01:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,294 times
Yes - leave the electric and gas on and keep the house heated and cooled properly. Pay those bills. If you stop keeping the house maintained atmospherically, you will have a ton of real problems develop within it. Lastly, like the post above says, no one will want to walk around and then buy your home if there's no heat/air or power on.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:34 PM

In that case would it be fine to unplug the refrigerator to keep the electric bills down as much as possible?

Really looking to eliminate as much as possible because its electric heat and my bill skyrockets to $400 even when keeping the temp low like around 64.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:05 PM

738 posts, read 999,209 times
It's fine to unplug the refrigerator as long as you keep the doors propped open.

Depending on where you live, it may be appropriate to keep your heat set down to a low setting so that it only kicks in before things freeze. In our area of the midwest, I would set my thermostat at 45 to keep the pipes from freezing. But...that is with a basement where all my plumbing is contained. If you live in an area with your water pipes exposed, that may not work and in that case, you may need to wrap your pipes with heat tape to keep them from freezing...which of course would mean that you would have to keep the electric turned on .

RVcook

Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 PM

luckily my pipes are in the basement. So i will just set the heat in the living room and kitchen to 50 and turn off the hot water heater and unplug the fridge. Hopefully it will keep the bill low enough.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,171 times
I'd suggest that you leave the electricity on, but turn off and drain the water, and water heater. If a pipe happens to freeze they can cause tons of damage when they thaw out

And put tape across the toilet with a please do not use--winterized and water is off sign.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I'd suggest that you leave the electricity on, but turn off and drain the water, and water heater. If a pipe happens to freeze they can cause tons of damage when they thaw out

And put tape across the toilet with a please do not use--winterized and water is off sign.
I have a well and septic so turning the water off means turning the water pump off. And if you do that the new owner would have to go through the debacle of re-priming and such.

If i just shut off the hot water heater would there be any detriment to it?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlan1 View Post
I have a well and septic so turning the water off means turning the water pump off. And if you do that the new owner would have to go through the debacle of re-priming and such.

If i just shut off the hot water heater would there be any detriment to it?
i'd maybe suggest to put a "blanket" around your water heater tank to help hold temp steady, and leave it on. If no one is running hot water (showers/wash), the heater should only run occasionally to keep the temp going (perhaps just set the thermostat down on it). But shutting it off, then when a prospective customer does check things out and cant get hot water to flow, or if you're not in the area and the buyers have an inspection and again no hot water, just more red flags to either explain or fix later.

just my .02

wanted to add: if you are using a realtor, and you have a good relationship with them, i'd ask him/her to occasionally swing by and run the water a few minutes, and check everything else out (should help keep the pump set if water is ran now and then)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues