Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,445,406 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's another thread, for all those who recently moved----WHY?

Looking at the life changing hassles, was it worth it? Was it a choice, or a necessity?

At least in reading these threads I realize I'm not alone in the confusion and stress that comes with moving. I somehow thought everyone else was so organized, everything went off without a glitch, now I realize that's not the case! This has been my 7th move since we got married, about 33 years. I've always promised to do better next time, not pack so much stuff, downsize, etc, but seems it just doesn't work out that way. When I look back at the literal mountains of crap we got rid of, I can't believe what was left over and we actually moved. And the stuff is only a part of it!

Then, there's getting the new place together, all those wires and cables Well, that's DH job, but still....then, how to organize things so you can find them. I end up buying stuff I already have becaue I can't find it!

Well, we moved because the house we were renting was sold out from under us! The owners dd offer us a chance to buy, which we declined, then they sold it to an investor who wanted us to move out so he could renovate it. Also, we no longer needed such a large home, 5/3, with our kids out of the house. So, we are in temporary rental, looking to move again in a year to our retirement home.

So, everyone, WHY did you move in the first place and was it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:52 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,831,652 times
We bought my husband's Dads house in Tennessee to retire in....It's big but we wanted to get out of Detroit... love it!!!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,445,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
We bought my husband's Dads house in Tennessee to retire in....It's big but we wanted to get out of Detroit... love it!!!
Ok, getting OUT of Detroit is a very understandable reason

I moved from Detroit 34 years ago, no regrets. Its still the best place I can think of to move from!

Old 05-09-2015, 07:41 AM

24,770 posts, read 11,102,386 times
We are in our third retirement home in 15 years. It is jinxed! Every time things are the way we want them we pack up again. So far three continents, five US states, four houses and eleven moves.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:51 AM

7,255 posts, read 7,112,676 times
Reasons: closer to family, higher paying job, better climate, better school.

I lived for 20 years in CT, 27 years in KY, and now I'm in FL. We are committed here for the next 8 years.

I'm very happy here.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:00 PM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times
With my ex it was due to his job.

This bf it's because his apt complex has gone down hill and we are tired of the trash neighbors. Moving to an apt complex they can't afford!

Old 05-09-2015, 12:21 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,802,710 times
Taxed out of NY. Tired of it and should have moved years ago. Too much house. Business reasons. Better climate. Nothing much to stay for.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:43 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,835,804 times
With no friends or family in Houston and only my husband's job holding us there, we moved once he could no longer work. We are back in Little Rock with family and friends.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:16 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,021,984 times
Southern weather, Better quality of life, better entertainment options

Old 05-09-2015, 03:44 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,635,824 times
I got taxed out of my house, and things were looking iffy with my main and seasonal jobs, plus crime was increasing.

It just didn't make sense to do an in-state move in Ohio when the economy in D-M was much better. I had several job options, but D-M made the most sense financially, even though that was going to be a long, multi-state move.

Yes, it was worth the gamble. I've rebuilt my savings and increased my salary. There really hasn't been a downside. Yes, the winters are colder, but there's more sunshine.

I don't know that I'm going to retire here: I can't see having to deal with I-80 in the winter when I'm elderly, but it's a good place to be for now. Added bonus: my heart wanted to return to Michigan, and I have in terms of the rural culture, beautiful inland lakes, and wonderful bike trails. I honestly wasn't expecting that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues