Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 PM

10 posts, read 63,370 times

Advertisements

I've decided to take a cross country drive from Detroit, MI to Seattle, WA. Shipping a car gets really expensive in August, and I have calculated it would be cheaper to drive.

Any advice on the actual routes to take, and the relative safety and difficulty of routes? I'm traveling alone so a safe and easy trip is the number #1 priority.

All routes I found start out the same from Detroit, MI to Chicago, IL. Then, several variations appear:

Route 1: Google Maps suggested taking the I-90 then I-94 then I-90. This means I will go head to Wisconsin -> Montana -> North Dakota -> Idaho -> Washington

Route 2: A variation for Route 1, but I take I-90 all the way. So I will head to Wisconsin -> Montana -> South Dakota -> Idaho -> Washington

Route 3: An alternative route that is longer takes the I-80. From Chicago I would head to Iowa -> Nebraska -> Wyoming -> Utah. After Utah I would head up via I-84 then I-90, heading towards Idaho -> Oregon -> Washington.

Any recommendations on which route is an easier drive? No mountains, hilly terrain, just flat terrain?

Any recommendations on which route is the safer path? More well driven and populated, no stretches of desolate wastelands with no cell signal?

If there is a better route that I missed, do let me know too. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 01:32 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I would recommend that you look into flights from Detroit to Seattle and rent a car out there. There are some reasonable budget packages if you are flexible about your dates.

If you're going because you're moving your car, try to get a friend to go with you. There are a lot of areas where there is *nothing* . . . that's just the nature of the West. I'd go Route 1 (MN = Minnesota and MT = Montana) if moving and taking a car. For a vacation, I'd fly.

Last edited by Meemur; 07-30-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 01:52 PM

396 posts, read 512,830 times
You're going to run into hills and mountains no matter which of those routes you take. The fastest route is the first one Google suggested. Using I80 is slightly longer. No matter which route you select, try to avoid traveling through the National Parks areas in N. Idaho and Washington at twilight or at night. Lots of wildlife that love to play chicken and it seems to be worse during those times.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:55 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
One bit of advice.
Do not take I-90/I-94 thru the City of Chicago. When you get near Gary, IN on 94, switch to I-80, take it to I-355 before Joliet IL, take I-355 north to I-290 and hook back up with I-90 NW of Chicago.

90/94 thru Chicago takes you thru the southside and downtown Chicago.

FYI, 355 is a toll road, as is I-294, the other bypass route.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:44 PM

493 posts, read 980,810 times
We did the drive from Chicago last year and did route 1 on the way to Seattle, and a slightly modified version of route 2 on the way back, detouring through Yellowstone, coming out by Cody and taking 20/16/14 to get back to I-90. No matter what you do you will go through areas of nothing and mountains. Montana/Dakota (North or South) were extremely boring parts of the drive, in my opinion.

Personally, I'd suggest just doing the quickest route, that is route 1. Unless you want to plan detours along the route (Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc) to help break up the monotony of the drive.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:06 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
Post on trip advisor's road trip forum too.

You can avoid the mess that is Chicago and have a bit of adventure by taking one of the ferrys across Lake Michigan, either to Milwaukee or to Manitowoc.

Driving the 94 to 90 to Seattle there really are a lot of interesting things to see & learn if you do some research.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:18 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
I'd do route 1 or 2. Like someone else said, do your driving during the day, both to avoid hitting animals and to enjoy whatever scenery you'll see (don't know how nice/boring of a trip it is, never done it myself). I have driven through UT and the wildlife can be an issue, though I think it's more of an issue in southern Utah.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 PM

731 posts, read 935,847 times
I've done the trip from Seattle to Chicago a couple times. I can't advise you on ease, but I will say that I was shocked how beautiful South Dakota was - Badlands, Black Hills (check out the wind tunnels!), Mt Rushmore. Also, Theodore Roosevelt park in North Dakota is the Northern Badlands. Very pretty to drive through. Lots of wildlife.

I don't think you would want to do it with a moving truck, but Glacier National park will blow your socks off. We just drove through the Going To the Sun Road and made a couple stops to do a couple hikes (all in one day). I'm a Seattle native, so I'm a bit of a scenery snob (I thought the cruise up to Alaska was just ok - nothing I haven't seen before) and I thought Glacier was stunning. Coeure D'Alene ID is a very beautiful town worth a look.

Between Chicago and South Dakota is a pretty bland drive, but after that you have some very nice scenery. Personally, I found 90 to be the more interesting route. I don't know if you've driven out west before, but it's nothing like traveling in the midwest. Loads of hills, mountains, beauty and lack of towns. I really hope you enjoy the drive. I loved it!

Also, try not to be on the road when it's dark. A deer jumping out in front of you can make a big mess out of things.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:34 AM

403 posts, read 557,509 times
Personally, I'd just take the quickest route. Now, if there is anything you happen to want to see along the way, then you should modify your route to see those things, but if you're just looking for a quick drive to Seattle, then take the quickest route.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 7,207 times
hi androasc did you make this trip? i plan to make this trip by myself this weekend.. pls post your suggestions, route taken, how to manage tolls? jus pay cash all times work?about night lodging places and any tips or points to be noted before i make the trip.. in how many hrs did u make it? kindly share ur itinerary if possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues