Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:35 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times

Advertisements

Good luck having several neighbors and all of them are perfect.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:23 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
I will never forget the day I watched my new neighbors move in to the townhouse next door. They looked fine, in their upper 50's with teenagers. But a very evil, black force was all around and never left. The air pressure even changed.
They ended up being HARDCORE stalkers. I can.t take time to relate the story but between the incessant 7a.m. Saturdays car washing outside our BR window, pulling up our garden after we.d go to bed, killing our grass, breaking into the house and garage, we went to the Chief of Police.
He told us that 95% of police time isn t spent on finding DWI.s, speeders, petty crimes (what we think the police do all day). It.s settling neighborhood disputes!
So rent a luxury apt or condo or go buy property with a great fence. But you just cannot pick your neighbors. And you cannot tell a book by it.s cover.
We lasted 4 years in hell; locked the doors, and left. We were happy in that TH for a long time until the devil showed up. Yes I sound like I.m over-reacting but the story with all the details of how they violated us belongs in the True Crime section.
Love Thy Neighbor... it.s tougher than you think.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:37 AM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
I just love it when people have this pre conceived notion, that those of us that rent are all lowlifes. It's true yes, that sometimes renters will tear up a house, and not take care of it...but we're not ALL like that.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Wow,I was looking at properties in FL but I may rethink now. Curious to know where you live so I can avoid that area.
Why? Just because that poster is right? The only way to be left alone is to not have neighbors.
You can drive around all the neighborhoods at all hours for as long as you want but that is no guarantee you will be left alone and there is no guarantee that the neighbors who do leave you alone will be the same neighbors you have in a week, month, year, 5 years, etc.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:48 AM

351 posts, read 321,086 times
Scoping out the neighborhood at different times of day and night is good advice.

However, you can't predict who your NEW neighbors will be,, as we found out after 2 years in our home.

We recently got new neighbors (older neighbor died after 50+ years in his home).

They have a yappy dog. Loud yappy.

It barks at everyone who walks by the house (we live in a small town with pedestrian friendly streets and front porches).

It's not chronic enough per local code (we checked....dogs have to bark non-stop for 10+ minutes several times a day to be considered annoying).

This dog barks every 15 to 20 minutes for about a minute. The owners sometimes try to shush it (if they are on porch with it), other times they are either indoors or just let it go.

So, to the OP....yes it is luck of the draw when it comes to neighbors.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:51 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
You visit often, driving around during daytime and night time. Walk the neighborhood. Look at crime stats and open records to see if a particular house or street gets a lot of calls. But yes, some people are just annoying and may fly under the radar until you actually live there.
Absolutely correct.

Don't forget to check out what kind of vehicles people are driving.

If you see a bunch of solid houses in a slightly upscale-ish neighborhood where people drive Toyota Camrys and Hyundai Elantras you're in a good place.

If it looks run down-ish and you see a bunch of Denalis with spinner rims you might want to avoid that area.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:03 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
If there is a neighborhood you like and find a house there, how do you know how your near neighbors will be? It seems to me to be the luck of the draw. What if we buy a property and move in and the neighbors are from hell ? I guess we could build a tall fence. Is there a way to find out or call the Chamber to find out how that neighborhood is ? We are very quiet, private people and never bother our neighbors and I would expect the same...... I am not snobbish just want to be left alone with no hassles. I grew up in the sticks and I have respect for other people but there are those that are hard to live next to . Thank you
It's the same way if you rent. I'm a landlord's dream tenant - I'm on SS, and work part-time, pay my rent on time, I'm quiet, don't smoke/drink/do drugs, throw wild parties, and respect my neighbors. But I sure don't get it in return.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:05 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why? Just because that poster is right? The only way to be left alone is to not have neighbors.
You can drive around all the neighborhoods at all hours for as long as you want but that is no guarantee you will be left alone and there is no guarantee that the neighbors who do leave you alone will be the same neighbors you have in a week, month, year, 5 years, etc.
Thank you.

I was not being snarky in my post. Best place I ever lived was rural. It was quiet and we couldn't even see our neighbors.

Our last home looked like a wonderful neighborhood. Our next door neighbors, who bought the house after us, had marital problems and they yelled at each other a lot. Not something you can find out on a drive by.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:21 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
You have absolutely no way of knowing what your neighbors will be like. And they can move and change!

Old 02-13-2016, 01:18 PM

446 posts, read 709,489 times
If you aren't related to your neighbors, if you don't go to the same church they do, if your kids don't play with their kids..... they will suck.

40 years experience tells me this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues