Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:17 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times

Advertisements

I'm of retirement age, but still work at a variety of casual jobs to keep life interesting. I own a house in upstate Pennsylvania, subdivided in order to rent to employed transients, and plenty of furniture to go with it, but most of my job opportunities are downstate -- about two hours away.

I recently moved back into what was, at one time, a small hotel -- have previous, and pleasant experience with the community and the landlord. But the problem of finding a selection of suitable, and reasonably portable funiture items, particularly a bed, remains. I've used a succession of Intex air mattresses on previous occasions, but they tend to last only about six months or so, and judging from the newest, the quality is going downhill from here. The walls and doorways here are narrow, so "hossing" a full mattress and springs can be a challenge -- not to mention the problem of finding a way to move it any substantial distance when -- not if -- the need arises. (my only "wheels" are a Honda Civic).

So if anyone can volunteer a better approach to this problem, I'd appreciate some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Try this. www.eve.com. The foam mattress arrives in a box and does not need any kind of frame or box spring. Although you could not put it back into the vacuum sealed state it arrived in, it could be bent and rolled into a vehicle to be moved.

The reviews on it are very good.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
You could try a foam mattress pad. You can get them at places like Wamart and they aren't too expensive either. They're thick enough to provide a bit of comfort on a hard surface (floor, or a bare box spring, or a sofa). You can cut them to size if you need to, to a single bed size. They're really great for making a hard surface softer and more comfortable for sleeping, and they're a fraction of the cost of a folding cot or anything like that. You can roll it up, for transporting it. Just tie it up with some twine or duct tape.

You can also try out a sleeping bag pad. These are separate from a sleeping bag. Camping stores often sell them. They're pretty inexpensive too. If you get two, you can lay them on top of each other for more soft comfort.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:44 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
A single-sized roll away bed might be another option. Here's a photo of one:

Mattresses - Shop The Best Deals For Sep 2016

They come in all different qualities. Look for one with fat wheels or wheels that can be replaced. Menards, Lowes, etc have replacement wheels in different diameters.

I'm older and I've slept on the one above at the link. It can fit in the back of many cars if you put the back seat flat and make sure the bed is totally shut.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:59 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
We have an old Army cot as last resort and a heavy memory foam pad for it.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:23 PM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
One time I used a blow up mattress that was styled as a Queen sized bed for a long time.

It was on sale for 50 bucks and lasted for a good amount of time. It was very comfortable and like a real bed. The size and feel was the same to me and it was very comfortable.

Since you have a Honda, I can't think of a better option. Research quality and price and consider replacement cost as a reasonable expenditure.

There are other solutions but I liked that one.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:27 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Get an old-fashioned camp cot or foldaway bed.

https://www.rei.com/product/828505/r...3_QaAoVM8P8HAQ

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26910115?...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 09-04-2016, 05:48 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm of retirement age, but still work at a variety of casual jobs to keep life interesting. I own a house in upstate Pennsylvania, subdivided in order to rent to employed transients, and plenty of furniture to go with it, but most of my job opportunities are downstate -- about two hours away.

I recently moved back into what was, at one time, a small hotel -- have previous, and pleasant experience with the community and the landlord. But the problem of finding a selection of suitable, and reasonably portable funiture items, particularly a bed, remains. I've used a succession of Intex air mattresses on previous occasions, but they tend to last only about six months or so, and judging from the newest, the quality is going downhill from here. The walls and doorways here are narrow, so "hossing" a full mattress and springs can be a challenge -- not to mention the problem of finding a way to move it any substantial distance when -- not if -- the need arises. (my only "wheels" are a Honda Civic).

So if anyone can volunteer a better approach to this problem, I'd appreciate some input.
Amazon could be your friend. Either an airbed or a memory foam mattress would suit your needs.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
By a mattress from a place that will deliver and set up!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:10 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
I have an awesome Aerobed that is "lifted" up off the ground.. Very comfortable and doesn't take up that much space (although it is heavy).. You can blow it up in less than 5 minutes. I bought mine off of craigslist for $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues