Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 08:02 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times

Advertisements

Has anyone shipped their car cross country? Family in the San Francisco area and I are discussing me moving there from Charlotte due to some health issues out there. I am a single woman with a small dog and truly don't think I could make the drive myself. About 8 hours behind the wheel is my max and I know the dog would be stir crazy by day 3 - as would I. we are still discussing this - and I know when they moved from Atlanta to SF they drove 10-14 hours a day taking 5 straight days. I can't do that. My estimation it would take me 10 days.

suggestions? options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 08:36 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I shipped my Car from Atlanta to NH, Took 7 days. (But I did not want a "Fast" Move. Got a discount for doing 7-10 days), Could have done 3-5 days for more $'s.

But I had to fly up, So a week worked for me.

Cost $730 (Was a Electric Car so, Driving it from ATL to NH was not a option). (3-5days was $1000).

The Car Mover allow 100# of NOT insured stuff in the car. So was a way of moving Bulky, Lower Value Stuff.

Small Freezer, Lots of Blankets, Pillows Etc.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:51 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Especially if its electric, just ship it or sell it. If you like the car, and want to keep it just ship it. I would think if you find a good company willing to do it for $500 that's about as cheap as you would get it, but its probably going to be a little more, and should be easy to find under $1K. I always recommend "uship.com" (even though Ive only used it a couple times and not for a vehicle), its a listings wanted site for shippers with "spare room". You post up what you need to move, where, when, and those who can do it will email you with how much. You can check out their reviews and then decide. If you can be flexible on dates you will save the most. You're absolute cheapest option, I would think, is if you can drive it to where you can have it shipped by rail, then pick it up from the nearest place when you get there. (but to be honest, I have NO knowledge or experience with that). Truck shipping will go almost door-to-door.

I think not only should you fly for your health reasons, the pet, the time, convenience, the electric car, but overall its probably cheaper too if you're only buying one ticket. I wouldn't even consider driving that.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:15 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I have the Electric Car, Based on the OP Driving (or able to) 8hr a day there is no way to do it in a Electric Car,

Range is ~100 miles or so on a charge then 25min, If you can find a working SuperCharger, 4-6hr on a L2 220V charger. (20-24h on a wall plug), Finding working Super/L2 that are working can be a issue as they are few and far between on the open road. (Pure Electric [other then maybe a 100K Tesla])

Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I have shipped my car many times and had only one bad experience. In my experience that distance will be over 1000 dollars and probably more. I can't recall when I went from FL to CA how much it was but I am thinking over 1000.
Personally I won't use a broker and only deal with the direct carrier. I also want only one driver who picks up the car and drops it off. I have used both covered and not trucks but if you want it covered it costs more. I also make sure to get a copy of their proof of insurance and I call the company to make sure it is current. When the car is picked up they will do a walk around to see if there is any damage so make sure you keep a copy of that.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:43 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
I've done it with no problems twice. Be sure and investigate the mover thoroughly. IMO this is one area where cheaper isn't always better. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:25 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
Thanks guys, we're still discussing this possible move. I reached out to a couple of companies and the quotes I got were closer to $ 1200 - 1500, which honestly I expected. It gives me info to consider.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:36 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,241 times
Price also depends if you are shipping enclosed or non-enclosed.

I have shipped a car twice across country. San Diego to Charlotte and San Diego to New Orleans. Used Passport Transport both times. They have onboard GPS so you can track your car across country if that is important to you.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:38 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
go with new way moving services. cost me 700 to ship my dodge stratus from philadelphia to minnesota. had to pay 125 to hold it. if you go to uship.com different companies will bid on your car. the only thing i hate is that you get BOMBARDED WITH EMAILS. so when a company bids on your car, go to transportreviews.com and read about the company. if they get good reviews and the price is up your alley, TAKE IT.

uship.com and transportreviews.com

Old 11-19-2016, 08:53 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
Intercity Lines and Reliable are two of the premiere auto transport companies. They transport enclosed . If you don't care about your car use somebody else.

Deal directly with the carrier, not a third-party broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues