Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:00 PM

13 posts, read 14,083 times

Advertisements

Need some objective advice First cross country move.

I am moving to Colorado Springs once I find a job and initially, was planning to move some of my newer furniture out there with me.

I will be moving into a family member's apartment who is subletting it, and will have a few empty rooms to fill with furniture. My stuff is fairly new (few months old) and I do like my stuff - is it worth paying movers and a truck to hike all this over ~1,000 miles? My car and TV are currently financed because I wasn't planning on moving so soon.

Online quotes come out to $2k-5k. Would prefer to ship my car.

Item: What I paid; What I might sell for
Table/Chairs: $500; $200
Smart TV, stands, new shelves: $1,100; $400
Couch: $800; $300
Fully stocked kitchen, appliances: ?;?
Misc furniture/Old bed: $1,400; donate/trash

I have about $2400 worth of furniture in new condition.

Also, would like to move 8-10 boxes of items (professional attire, clothing, electronics, keepsakes, fully stocked kitchen + appliances, etc.). I have plastic, waterproof boxes I've always used for prior moves, so I wouldn't need packing supplies, except maybe for the TV and any glass items.

I dislike the idea of restocking/buying new/used items once I move and paying delivery/taxes - Is this a wrong way of thinking?

I've moved before with only the things in my car. It sucked not having my own things/furniture and breaking Ikea stuff. Anyone decide to pay for a cross country move and take the things in their home, and regretted it? Were any tax deductions worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 02:17 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
You never get what you think you will for used furniture. Unless it's Ikea stuff, I vote for keeping it.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:24 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You never get what you think you will for used furniture. Unless it's Ikea stuff, I vote for keeping it.

True. I'd take most of it at least, particularly if I were shipping boxes anyway; maybe just leave the inexpensive or heavy items, like the old bed.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,281 times
Weird.
I'm also moving to Colorado from Pennsylvania.
Except I'm headed to Denver.
Where are you from? I'm near Pittsburgh.

And I solved my problem by leaving most of my stuff here with family for a while, I'll just get a UHaul after the holidays...

Old 11-08-2016, 03:52 AM

473 posts, read 502,346 times
Some people who are lower-middle class meaning able to pay their bills with a bit extra find Colorado to be very unfriendly - too many nutty millennials, useless cops, too much property damage/vandalisms/threats to your employment/relationship threats if alone. I stayed 2 weeks in community of 10k - of course, the crazy problem turned out to be next door and landlord was keeping the local nut and cops ignored him. Previously tenants didn't stay long either....Males in the town were looking so closely, did not feel safe and had enough scary crime ignore I was double locking the door when some locals woke up to intruders several time....I got threatened a couple of times saying no to a date so I was gone in 2 weeks plus told what computer equipment was ruined at my rental house while I was out because I refused the date.

Leave your PA job on good terms and stay in touch with your family. Others trying to sell their current place and leave for Colorado, I advise to keep their old home in case Colorado is not what they bargained for. Aware the lower-middle class people are treated to a lot of vandalisms and trespassings in smaller cities and just turns out to be VERY expensive place for poor with any belongings or own business due to all the vandalisms. Kind of has a HOOD mentality to whole state of Colorado about owning any construction equipment or computer systems so can be VERY prohibitive to self-employed if you try to live in wrong area as this stuff is bad target of thieves and vandals - poor just cannot own construction/painting/computer equipment and self employ if anything is up in area with bad cops. Heard some tried Wyoming and things are nicer for small business owners with some expensive work possessions. (I mean you are so poor, you only own a cell phone computer and wallet. Both better be on you every time you leave you apartment. NEVER even charge a phone in the car or will be ruined in some places. You go to your fast food job and come home to lay your head down on your pillow, and do the same thing tomorrow. Only have bed and clothing in house. Pets will get harmed in some places and just too expensive to keep so used again you with property damage and bathroom accidents. Can find this out if no one keeps indoor pets in rural area...Pet needs to be outside to be okay with the predatorial human problems.)

Was threatened by the local Millenials who 'Don't need any more workers around here.' Only taking some of the money who can finesse their way through this, not people who can pay their bills because they worked - only inheritances and lotto people for good relationship opportunities for the wealthy one...

Heard people who bought existing housing in Colorado were being treated to lots of vandalisms/trespassings, only people who bought new houses and kept the contractors working were being left alone by the vandals. But eventually most of the smallest towns played even the wealthy with same scam over and over, then wealthy idiots tried to use the same town attorney over and over for resolution for this same scam when need to talk to attorney in next country. Most of the wealthies left broke...

You have contacts and big city options, just beware of how things are running in backwoods Colorado. Heard a lot of the ladies who tried to move to Colorado Springs or Denver as far back as 2000 were being scared away by very aggressive predators trying to get dates and basically ran away. Looks like gay bar with no women in parts of big city Colorado...Straight friend managed to confirm this and ran off from Denver in 2002. See what you find? Some of the women who tried corporate transfers in early 2000s to Denver were even scared away within a couple months by this environment...

Denver seems to have very healthy upper-middle-class opportunities for straight and gay couples but rest is a slum for a lot of other people.

Don't be surprised if any of the woman tell you they just cannot date you, "I'm a prostitute. I can only sleep with certain people." Heard this one a few times in small town Colorado something is so controlling, freaks the males out a bit....Guess it gives you a good idea about the mental abuse control in a way? Colorado is supposed to be pretty hard spot for lower-middle-working class and really run hard by GAWD. You are moving to desirable spot?

You might just trade it all for RV after you see how Colorado runs in spots. Wish you better luck than some. Did hear Wyoming is nicer spot for self employed people who are lower-middle-class and want existing housing. Won't ********* as badly. Hear Colorado housing is trespassed upon 2-3 times a year with intention to break property badly in some spots. Most 'workers' could barely get by. You might be a minimalist after this....Rest of the 'I own a mountain' people are just the advertisement for what was....Rest don't say much of anything and move when it's just too bad.

Last edited by cattalk1; 11-08-2016 at 04:08 AM..

Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
Some people who are lower-middle class meaning able to pay their bills with a bit extra find Colorado to be very unfriendly - too many nutty millennials, useless cops, too much property damage/vandalisms/threats to your employment/relationship threats if alone. I stayed 2 weeks in community of 10k - of course, the crazy problem turned out to be next door and landlord was keeping the local nut and cops ignored him. Previously tenants didn't stay long either....Males in the town were looking so closely, did not feel safe and had enough scary crime ignore I was double locking the door when some locals woke up to intruders several time....I got threatened a couple of times saying no to a date so I was gone in 2 weeks plus told what computer equipment was ruined at my rental house while I was out because I refused the date.

Leave your PA job on good terms and stay in touch with your family. Others trying to sell their current place and leave for Colorado, I advise to keep their old home in case Colorado is not what they bargained for. Aware the lower-middle class people are treated to a lot of vandalisms and trespassings in smaller cities and just turns out to be VERY expensive place for poor with any belongings or own business due to all the vandalisms. Kind of has a HOOD mentality to whole state of Colorado about owning any construction equipment or computer systems so can be VERY prohibitive to self-employed if you try to live in wrong area as this stuff is bad target of thieves and vandals - poor just cannot own construction/painting/computer equipment and self employ if anything is up in area with bad cops. Heard some tried Wyoming and things are nicer for small business owners with some expensive work possessions. (I mean you are so poor, you only own a cell phone computer and wallet. Both better be on you every time you leave you apartment. NEVER even charge a phone in the car or will be ruined in some places. You go to your fast food job and come home to lay your head down on your pillow, and do the same thing tomorrow. Only have bed and clothing in house. Pets will get harmed in some places and just too expensive to keep so used again you with property damage and bathroom accidents. Can find this out if no one keeps indoor pets in rural area...Pet needs to be outside to be okay with the predatorial human problems.)

Was threatened by the local Millenials who 'Don't need any more workers around here.' Only taking some of the money who can finesse their way through this, not people who can pay their bills because they worked - only inheritances and lotto people for good relationship opportunities for the wealthy one...

Heard people who bought existing housing in Colorado were being treated to lots of vandalisms/trespassings, only people who bought new houses and kept the contractors working were being left alone by the vandals. But eventually most of the smallest towns played even the wealthy with same scam over and over, then wealthy idiots tried to use the same town attorney over and over for resolution for this same scam when need to talk to attorney in next country. Most of the wealthies left broke...

You have contacts and big city options, just beware of how things are running in backwoods Colorado. Heard a lot of the ladies who tried to move to Colorado Springs or Denver as far back as 2000 were being scared away by very aggressive predators trying to get dates and basically ran away. Looks like gay bar with no women in parts of big city Colorado...Straight friend managed to confirm this and ran off from Denver in 2002. See what you find? Some of the women who tried corporate transfers in early 2000s to Denver were even scared away within a couple months by this environment...

Denver seems to have very healthy upper-middle-class opportunities for straight and gay couples but rest is a slum for a lot of other people.

Don't be surprised if any of the woman tell you they just cannot date you, "I'm a prostitute. I can only sleep with certain people." Heard this one a few times in small town Colorado something is so controlling, freaks the males out a bit....Guess it gives you a good idea about the mental abuse control in a way? Colorado is supposed to be pretty hard spot for lower-middle-working class and really run hard by GAWD. You are moving to desirable spot?

You might just trade it all for RV after you see how Colorado runs in spots. Wish you better luck than some. Did hear Wyoming is nicer spot for self employed people who are lower-middle-class and want existing housing. Won't ********* as badly. Hear Colorado housing is trespassed upon 2-3 times a year with intention to break property badly in some spots. Most 'workers' could barely get by. You might be a minimalist after this....Rest of the 'I own a mountain' people are just the advertisement for what was....Rest don't say much of anything and move when it's just too bad.
WTF??? This has got to be the longest troll post I have ever read...

OP: take it all, or take whatever you can cram in your car. If you get a uhaul with a trailer and drive it yourself, ballpark is going to be about a $2k move, (truck, trailer, gas, hotels, food), and probably take 4-7 days. If you do it in your car alone, that's probably 2-3 days and about $500 bucks, (gas, food, hotels). If you pay someone to move all your stuff, that's probably $5k-$8K.

Tax deductions aren't worth it unless you make enough to cover it, considering you don't have a job yet, then no.

From what little information, if the tv fits in your car, and you can take apart the table, (and maybe the chairs), I would fit those and whatever higher priced little things you might have (small kitchen appliances, smaller electronics, pots and pans, etc..), just fill the car and get what you can for the rest.

Whats the vehicle, (how much cargo room does it have, and could it tow a small trailer)?
Will the tv fit?
Do you REALLY like all the furniture you have?

Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 PM

120 posts, read 90,501 times
Yep, same ^ . I would cram what I could in the car if you can, especially if saving money is an important point. Keep as much stuff you really like as possible, leave or sell what you can- which actually is pretty freeing. Best of luck with the move!

Old 11-13-2016, 05:15 PM

I'm from Pittsburgh. That's interesting you're leaving your stuff, Cyhyraeth. I don't have family here to leave my things with and no one has an area in their homes with space that I could rent some space from for a few weeks/months. Hmm...

Old 11-13-2016, 05:19 PM

My car is a small sedan - a 2008 honda civic. Cargo is limited to front seat, back seat and my trunk. Maybe a box for the top of the car if I bought something?

The moving truck quote I received from Mini Moves came out to $2700 - with insurance, gas, toll fees, moving men and packing fragile items I don't think my tv would fit in the car and if I put it in there, I wouldn't be able to stop at rest stops or at hotels overnight in case someone breaks in.

Thanks all for the advice. I have so much to think about Feel a bit sad thinking about parting with my things.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:28 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
I didn't see why, but if you needed to leave stuff temporarily; I always use public storage. Its $1 (+ a few things) for the first 30 days, comes to $23 or $43.

Well when you say $2700, that seems like a good deal, but that's just for your stuff right. That doesn't include your vehicle or you.

If you stop at a rest stop, IMO they ARE surprisingly safe. They are spread out enough, they are almost always at least half full. Between that and there are people always unpredictably going in and out of, going to the bathroom, and you never really know whos awake or watching. Plus there's not really anywhere for somewhere to take your stuff and go hide at, because they are usually quite a distance from anything. What I always do is use a tarp to hide it if in a truck, or just put a blanket over it if its in your car.

As for hotels; last time I moved, I had my truck bed FULL of stuff. I brought EVERYTHING IN, and repacked it when I left, took less than 10 minutes each time. I had used all larger luggage bags, and banana boxes to pack so it wasn't bad. From my experience if you tell the hotel desk agent that you are going to take everything out of your car and put it in your room, they can usually get you a room you can back right up to the door.

ANOTHER OPTION: is sell about half your stuff/furniture since it sounds like it what its going to cost you is about what its worth, and use uship.com and ship a pallet. Pack your boxes, TV, and anything else that's too big to fit in your car; then strap it all down to a pallet, Should cost about $300-500 to ship door to door. Then you still have whatever room in your car for what you want to take with you.

You would find out the exact dimensions on how high you can pack it, and how heavy. Pallets are easy to find, and buy cargo straps. Then pack it up and strap it down. They will pick it up and deliver door to door. If you can pack it well enough, no worries about anything breaking.

Last edited by adriver; 11-13-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues