Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 PM

105 posts, read 172,642 times

Advertisements

Hello people,

I am about to move out of my apartment. Next 6-8 months will be spent traveling and then I will either stay in the same city or move to a new city. Paying rent would be very expensive, I think.

I am trying to live a minimalist life but I still acquired some common stuff like furniture, bed, etc. I can either sell everything now and just re-purchase it once I come back. Or I can use a storage (which would cost at least $120 a month). The estimated worth of my apartment stuff is about $1500 on a good day.

Storage vs Sellout
What has worked for you guys?

I do have a car also, but that can wait for me next to my friends house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Sell and buy again. Even if you stored it you would be paying close enough to replacement cost. Maybe put some things you really like to keep in the trunk of the car.

And even if you do put it in storage, you never know if it will be full of roaches or whatever when you go to get it back...do not even take the chance of wasting your money!

Old 03-21-2017, 09:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
FWIW, I once went the route of tossing all of the cheap furniture that didn't make financial sense to move. Honestly ten years on I'm still in the process of replacing stuff. It wasn't the cost so much as the hassle and time involved in furniture shopping, ordering, delivering, assembling. Plus there was the 'if I'm going to buy something now, I want to get something I really love, not just something cheap from the nearest store' viewpoint.

Make sure you're doing the math right too. Are you sure ALL of your furniture is only worth $1500? If you ditch the furniture, will your belongings fit in your car, or will you still need a storage unit (in which case you aren't saving $120/mo)?

Last edited by MarianRavenwood; 03-21-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Sell and buy again. Even if you stored it you would be paying close enough to replacement cost. Maybe put some things you really like to keep in the trunk of the car.

And even if you do put it in storage, you never know if it will be full of roaches or whatever when you go to get it back...do not even take the chance of wasting your money!
This is a very good point! Thanks lot!

One side question. Wouldn't the car suffer if its trunk is loaded for a long time?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
FWIW, I once went the route of tossing all of the cheap furniture that didn't make financial sense to move. Honestly ten years on I'm still in the process of replacing stuff. It wasn't the cost so much as the hassle and time involved in furniture shopping, ordering, delivering, assembling. Plus there was the 'if I'm going to buy something now, I want to get something I really love, not just something cheap from the nearest store' viewpoint.
Do I understand correctly that you were buying cheap stuff and getting new whenever you moved? I totally agree that the biggest factor may be the time. For example, I got very nice sofa, used. It was only about $200 but to find it and put it all together took me almost a week believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Make sure you're doing the math right too. Are you sure ALL of your furniture is only worth $1500? If you ditch the furniture, will your belongings fit in your car, or will you still need a storage unit (in which case you aren't saving $120/mo)?
I can load something into my car, but it definitely will not hold everything I have. Yes, all my furniture, chairs, table, sofa, kitchen stuff, etc etc ... is worth $1300 total. I just did the calculation today. The original purchase price would be probably a bit over $2000, but the $1300 is what I would sell it on craigslist probably.

I have been also deliberating selling my car but that one was a good deal and hard to find. And you know how big of a hassle is to be in the US without a car. So I will probably keep it even though I am still not 100% convinced.

Luckily, my friend has offered me to put my car in his garage. I can probably store some other stuff too. But I don't want to throw his entire garage into my storage unit

Old 03-22-2017, 05:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah7 View Post
I am about to move out of my apartment.
Next 6-8 months will be spent traveling and then I will either...

acquired some common stuff like furniture, bed, etc.
I do have a car also..
It comes down to the unique quality & value of your stuff.
Few people have much that is either worth very much or can't be easily replaced.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:38 PM

Almost anything can be replaced, but as others mentioned correctly the dollar price is not everything. Some things are hassle to replace. For example a bed. You can sell mattress and get a new one later. If you don't own truck that can haul it than it will be hassle either way.

Has anyone ever sold his/her stuff and then looked back and regretted?

Old 03-29-2017, 12:13 PM

44 posts, read 63,993 times
IMHO, I would say ditch the furniture altogether and go extreme minimalist. Sleep on the floor on a futon, sit on floor cushions, etc.... I got rid of everything and have no regrets at all. Amazon sells synthetic japanese futons made by Emoor. About 2 inches thick.. I find them to be very comfortable. And they can compress quite easily in a large compression bag for easy transport. Best thing I ever did with regards to stuff.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:58 PM

496 posts, read 411,866 times
Sell everything, replace later. Especially since you might land in a different city altogether.

I regret not selling more when we moved, not less. The older I get, the less I feel I want/need. Possessions are starting to feel more like a burden or trap. Things to be taken care of , instead of being able to enjoy my free time. My next move will very likely be limited to what fits in my vehicle.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:42 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Storage rarely makes financial sense. In your situation I would sell it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues