Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:12 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times

Advertisements

A question to people who have moved from another City:

Do you keep in touch with anyone from your old home town after moving? I wonder, because I rarely do. I always felt like I should because I was so close to some people, seeing them everyday but once I left it was like they died and I moved on. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Thumbs up it takes a lot of effort.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
A question to people who have moved from another City:

Do you keep in touch with anyone from your old home town after moving? I wonder, because I rarely do. I always felt like I should because I was so close to some people, seeing them everyday but once I left it was like they died and I moved on. How about you?
That is an awesome experience, as well as a sad one. Going trough the moving process, eventually, you really find out just WHO your real friends are.
I moved from Germany to the US (PA) in 1990, and yes, I still have a lot of good friends back home I grew up and went to school with.
Then, I moved to FL in 2004, and just recently came back, and yes, I kept in touch with most of my friends here in PA. Now, I made some really good friends down in FL, and I will keep in touch with them as well.
And, I do hope I will be making even more friends down in NC, when I am moving down there, keeping in touch with all of my friends from Germany, PA, and FL....LOL
Guess, I am just a lovable person....lol.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:51 PM

138 posts, read 979,320 times
Life is a series of HELLOS & GOODBYE'S.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Absolutely, I keep in touch with alot of people from where I used to live, thats where I went to high school and where part of my family still lives...

Old 06-03-2007, 09:41 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
I keep in touch with some - the ones that are also interested in keeping in touch! Hopefully we'll get to visit eachother, too. REAL friends are not so easy to find - so I treasure the ones I have.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
i keep in touch with all of the good folks i met down in HR. the bad ones i stay away from.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post
Life is a series of HELLOS & GOODBYE'S.
Thanks for getting Billy Joel in my head.

Ive moved and kept contact with friends, we even visit each other from time-to-time.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:50 PM

80 posts, read 461,774 times
Dingler-

You bring up an interesting question.

I keep up with friends from places where I have lived previously. What I've found is that a). it's not easy when I have plenty of people to keep up with where I am now and b). that some people are better at keeping in touch than others- so in other words, my "best" friends aren't necessarily the ones I'm keeping in touch with always. I don't take any of this as being an indication that they were not true friends but merely that time and circumstances have changed our relationships.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:07 PM

21 posts, read 128,623 times
I keep in touch with my friends from where I used to live, but "movingbacktoPA" is right..you definitely find out who your real friends are. I was born in Milwaukee and left after high school to Florida I still keep in touch with a friend of mine that I have known for 18 years! We hang out every time I go up to visit and he always wants me to move back. I think these days it is really easy to keep in touch with people who you were friends with. You have Instant Messaging, Emails, that thing called a telephone, and even snail mail! The way I think of it is, it only takes about 5 minutes out of my time to call or Email or whatever. If they don't answer back or return calls then that's their business and I'll take the hint, but if they do return the calls you may find out that you just made their day and you probably have a friend for life. Besides all of that, you never know if you'll need their help in the future, too!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 PM

35 posts, read 112,935 times
Default I'm like you . . .

Out of sight, out of mind. I've been on my own from a very early age and unfortunately had some negative experiences with family and friends which have left me not able to trust people or allow myself to be vulnerable. When I left NC to move to NYC, I tried to keep in touch with people but it was hard on both sides. In NYC, I made some good friends and with one in particular I thought we would always be close. But she moved to CT, got new friends and I was history. When I was moving back to NC, rather than hang out with me one last time, she blew me off for a guy she met two weeks prior. I will forever remember his name . . . Chip. Seriously, Chip.

When I moved back to NC nearly 3 years ago, I tried to reconnect with family but all the old issues cropped up. And I made a rule, don't get personally involved with anyone at work. Not even just friends. Too much drama. I'm friendly to people at work and if I saw them outside the office, I would be polite but that's pretty much it. So for the last 15 months, I have had no personal relationships and on my days off, the most conversation I have is with the grocery store check out person.

At first it was hard and I wondered what was wrong with me. And then slowly I realized I just enjoy my own company. I'm my own best friend. I do what I want, when I want, how I want and don't have to worry about being dissapointed or disappointing anyone or being judged. The only time being on my own is really bad is times like these when I'm doing something huge that I've never done before. But that's what the internet is for.

I know it may seem sad and pathetic to some but it works for me. I'm happier than I've ever been and I can't see sharing my life with anyone. And should I throw caution to the wind and actually make friends in my new town, I won't feel bad if it doesn't last because hey, I'll always be there for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues