Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:32 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of preparing to look for a reliable and overall excellent moving company to move the contents of my home from the New England area of the US down to Atlanta, GA. I'll be moving in September.

I did a few online searches and one article recommended two companies: Mayflower and Atlas. I went ahead and researched these companies. Unfortunately, their independent consumer reviews are fraught with complaints of damaged items, lost items, difficulty receiving reimbursement, poor customer service, etc.

I try to take everything with a grain of salt in terms of online reviews...because most people who post, in general, are unhappy and angry with the company based on their experiences. .

However, I can't help but worry b/c these are my worldly possessions and I don't want just any company handling my items.

What interstate moving companies have you used that you'd recommend? Do you have any other helpful advice for me?

This will be the first time I've used a moving company to move the contents of my home from one state to another. So, I'm quite nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 02:01 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
We used Two Men and a Truck for our move from Florida to Tennessee. They finished the packing that we hadn't done on a Wednesday, loaded the truck on Friday and Tuesday morning unloaded it here in Tennessee. Just as we had scheduled it with them. Nothing missing or broken; not even a ding. The same two guys who loaded the truck drove it up and unloaded it. Put everything exactly where we wanted it; no complaints about lugging a lot of heavy boxes upstairs to my wife's craft room. Pleasant experience from start to finish.

We wanted a trouble free move and got it. Could have been cheaper to rent a truck and drive it or get one of the cubes, but we decided to pay for someone else doing the hard stuff.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:05 AM

24 posts, read 25,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We used Two Men and a Truck for our move from Florida to Tennessee. They finished the packing that we hadn't done on a Wednesday, loaded the truck on Friday and Tuesday morning unloaded it here in Tennessee. Just as we had scheduled it with them. Nothing missing or broken; not even a ding. The same two guys who loaded the truck drove it up and unloaded it. Put everything exactly where we wanted it; no complaints about lugging a lot of heavy boxes upstairs to my wife's craft room. Pleasant experience from start to finish.

We wanted a trouble free move and got it. Could have been cheaper to rent a truck and drive it or get one of the cubes, but we decided to pay for someone else doing the hard stuff.
If you don't mind me asking, how big (how many bedrooms) was your house and how much was the total?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALNiKO View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how big (how many bedrooms) was your house and how much was the total?
Hi. I have sent you a DM on this

Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 PM

31 posts, read 35,203 times
If you use a recognized company, odds are very high that your move will go well. Shop around. Get 2 or 3 estimates, and talk to the estimators about any special concerns. Ask what precautions they plan to take: put down paper "rugs" for walking over the carpet? Put "Saran wrap" around your mattresses? The answers will give you good clues about what company to choose.

I worry more about packing than the actual movers. I pack things myself--for me, buying boxes and newsprint and bubble wrap is a good investment in peace of mind. Definitely transport in your own car anything small enough that is very valuable or precious.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:17 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Has anyone had the experience that movers say they'll protect your furniture with blankets, they even show you their blankets, but they never actually use them? And furniture arrives at the destination damaged, scratched, ruined finish, etc.? That's happened to me every time I've moved.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:57 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
What I wouldn't give to tell the story of what the worst moving company in my previous state did to us. Unfortunately for me, due to me being under extreme stress because of so many broken, damaged, or lost items, I signed a release saying I would never reveal what happened. That's how bad this company was.

Oh, I signed the release in order for them to knock off $1000 of the final move bill. Like I said, I was under extreme stress to put this behind me. That was not the smartest thing I ever did.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Main piece of advice is to watch out for the moving process issues.

Make sure that the movers inventory every item that goes onto the moving truck, and make notes as to WHAT that item is. IF a box #235 is missing you need to prove what was in that box, so you need to know. eg. Kitchen appliances, bedding, glasses, towels, for a box title is good.

Pay attention to how they classify your items before they load them. They will use a code for soiled, torn, chipped, scratched, etc. If they mark that your couch is soiled and torn, then they can deliver it that way. If your table is marked as chipped and scratched, they can deliver it that way. Some movers will mark every piece of furniture as damaged so they can deliver it damaged without claim. IF they say its damaged, make them show you where then try to specify the damage, or take photos to show one small scratch, and that the rest of the item is perfect. Photos are your friend, of every big item...and valuable items such as tools.

When they unload, check off each item by number and look at the item and make note--the box is smashed so there may be damage when it is unpacked. The table has a missing leg, whatever. And note any item not checked off as missing.

You have to make the initial claim on that paperwork--do not sign all is well is you have known or potential damages of loss items. Write what the problem is then sign your name.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:06 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
I've read nightmare stories where people hire a moving company and the price doubles at the destination. I don't know anyone who had this experience, but the idea that is might happen keeps me driving the truck.

The most important thing in a move is to remember that your stuff will be damaged. Proper packing, moving blankets and good loading techniques help but do not eliminate damage.
Think of everything you've ever purchased. It always comes tightly packed in a box that is specifically designed to protect it. Even then you'll see stores having "scratch and dent" sales from the items being damaged. Most of us immediately toss that original packaging. Moving the item in a box with other stuff puts a huge amount of risk on it.

Since I'll be moving again in 2 years I've began to keep the packaging from expensive and fragile items. I've also started stocking up on the moving blankets from Harbor Freight when they are on sale. But even with those moving blankets on furniture there will be damage from the inevitable shifting around in the truck on the way.

With 10 moves in 11 years almost everything I have is beat up. My stand up freezer looks like it's been in a car wreck from all these moves. When I move now I sell off as much as I reasonably can and replace it at the new place. When my wife completes grad school and we leave this state we've already determined that our couch, dining table, tv stand, dressers, appliances and a few other large items are getting sold or donated before we go.

For the items that have emotional significance, I control them from start to finish. It's the only way to know that they were packed well, loaded safely, handled kindly and not forgotten.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Main piece of advice is to watch out for the moving process issues.

Make sure that the movers inventory every item that goes onto the moving truck, and make notes as to WHAT that item is. IF a box #235 is missing you need to prove what was in that box, so you need to know. eg. Kitchen appliances, bedding, glasses, towels, for a box title is good.

Pay attention to how they classify your items before they load them. They will use a code for soiled, torn, chipped, scratched, etc. If they mark that your couch is soiled and torn, then they can deliver it that way. If your table is marked as chipped and scratched, they can deliver it that way. Some movers will mark every piece of furniture as damaged so they can deliver it damaged without claim. IF they say its damaged, make them show you where then try to specify the damage, or take photos to show one small scratch, and that the rest of the item is perfect. Photos are your friend, of every big item...and valuable items such as tools.

When they unload, check off each item by number and look at the item and make note--the box is smashed so there may be damage when it is unpacked. The table has a missing leg, whatever. And note any item not checked off as missing.

You have to make the initial claim on that paperwork--do not sign all is well is you have known or potential damages of loss items. Write what the problem is then sign your name.
Wonderful advice! My organization hires out of state employees and relocates them to NC. Issues I've seen, come as a result of not doing what you have suggested. NEVER sign/initial ANYTHING unless you have seen the items/container go into your home (has not come back out) and know it has no external damage. The best thing to do upon delivery is have one or two people at the door not allowing anything in or out without noting what it was and the condition of it. They are bad for saying they will blanket something and then not doing it.

Also, up front, you must complete the form for high value or special one of a kind items. If you miss something on this, and later want to claim for damage, you have little to stand on as you didn't declare it.

And, inspect the truck and its cab before it leaves your property!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues