Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:37 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
She could be support staff at a community college, public school, large university, etc. But what does that matter if she's familiar with the general job market in her field?

I don't see where the OP said she was looking for a support staff position. She said education in a competitive field. That could mean K-12 in a specific discipline or that she's a Higher Ed professional. Knowing what type of position she's seeking would help narrow down recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
OP, have you considered buying land and putting a house on that? Land in some areas is much more reasonable than you think.
Or buying a mobile home... a friend is in the process now... was happy renting but the home is being sold and can't afford to buy what they had been renting.

Jobs are here but housing is expensive so they found a mobile home and making it work.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:10 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Or buying a mobile home...
It doesn't sound like the OP has enough money to afford that. That's why I'm recommending better jobs, first. After that, such a move would make sense.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:17 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Landlords can't usually ban children.

I do understand! But it's very hard to get rentals with pets, even in "dog friendly" areas. If you want to get ahead, this is something you'll need to seriously consider. This doesn't mean the dog must go to a shelter or rescue: perhaps a friend or friend of a friend can keep it until you are in better circumstances.
Move to Los Angeles. All you have to do is throw an emotional support vest on your dog and no landlord can deny you even if they have a no pet policy and you can even bring your dog to work even if there is a no pet policy there. Of course there is the cost of living factor here

Old 07-28-2017, 06:18 PM

83 posts, read 73,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Move to Los Angeles. All you have to do is throw an emotional support vest on your dog and no landlord can deny you even if they have a no pet policy and you can even bring your dog to work even if there is a no pet policy there. Of course there is the cost of living factor here
Please do not recommend that. Emotional support animals are exactly that -- emotional support animals. They are not meant to be a loophole. Also, you are absolutely confusing emotional support animals and service dogs. Emotional support dogs can only supersede in the housing setting. You cannot bring them to work or out to places that normally do not accept pets. Only service animals can do that. And ESAs do not wear vests or any sort of ID, either.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:58 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinandPeteNast View Post
At this point, after looking at yet another **** shack apartment looks like we're up and moving. Somewhere.

It's insane, right?

We've looked from up and down the area, surrounding towns 30-45 minutes away. This is a rural area so not it's like I can go into the city and work and expect high wages. The whole area dances around a local college and hospital. Everyone else works on the fringes.

So--what do you suggest?
Seriously. If you had to up and move tomorrow where would you and 2 other adults go?

I want:

1. Better weather than New England--guess I will learn to tolerate the heat?
2. Jobs, jobs, jobs
3. If we can pay the rent with #2 I won't mind handing over half my paycheck a month.
4. Decent and competitive shopping--more than one or two supermarkets.
5. Something cultural to do like good libraries. (a must)
6. Affordable community college for my son
7. Dog friendly

Throw out those cities to me. I prefer NOT rural. (I hate rural places now).

Any ideas?
Do NOT come to Florida unless you want to live in less than ideal conditions. Rents here are just stupidly high, plus jobs are low paying.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:01 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
Don't assume rental prices in Texas are low. They used to be, but those have become pretty expensive in most areas in recent years.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Chesterfield Co VA.

It's booming.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
You live out in the stix and commute 1:30-2 hours to work everyday.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 AM

384 posts, read 376,552 times
Indianapolis , Indiana area , I have several family members that attended Ivy Tech community college and landed good jobs. Another idea would be Nashville , Tn . Tennessee has no state income tax and the cost to tag your car is less than sixty dollars .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues