Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide, Allied, United, Mayflower?? Two men and a Truck??

My furniture is new and expensive, in the long run it will be cheaper for me to move it rather than replace.
Can anyone chime in on the these moving companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 05:56 PM

320 posts, read 353,699 times
I believe I have been told two men and a truck are good. Whatever you do, stay away from All My Sons. Anything that you can fit in your vehicle that you would really like to see again, do so. We've had a movers attempt to steal a gun while loading. Called police and filed report as the end of the truck was being packed.They didn't want to unpack it to look. Long story short,when they all hit the bar that night, one of them couldn't stop running his mouth to all the ladies that he had a new gun. Unfortunately it was never recovered, even after the head honcho driving turned him in. Additionally, we found our camcorder that we though they stole too, wedged in between our couch cushions 6 months later (no we were not storing it there).

On another note, they called us and said they would be changing trucks halfway through the move. God knows who else was touching our stuff.

Save money, take the time, pack your own stuff in a large Penske and drive it yourself. Smartest thing you'll ever do!

Old 10-11-2017, 05:52 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
We've moved a lot and nothing has ever beat the reliability or professionalism of United. I think because they get a lot of relocation business from corporations, they don't mess around.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:04 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
I've used Two Men in a Truck 3 times in the last 11 years and never had a problem with them. My moves were all local ones.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I've used Two Men in a Truck 3 times in the last 11 years and never had a problem with them. My moves were all local ones.
Thanks, just crossed them off my list as their quote was $1100 more than Allied

Old 10-11-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
I believe I have been told two men and a truck are good. Whatever you do, stay away from All My Sons. Anything that you can fit in your vehicle that you would really like to see again, do so. We've had a movers attempt to steal a gun while loading. Called police and filed report as the end of the truck was being packed.They didn't want to unpack it to look. Long story short,when they all hit the bar that night, one of them couldn't stop running his mouth to all the ladies that he had a new gun. Unfortunately it was never recovered, even after the head honcho driving turned him in. Additionally, we found our camcorder that we though they stole too, wedged in between our couch cushions 6 months later (no we were not storing it there).

On another note, they called us and said they would be changing trucks halfway through the move. God knows who else was touching our stuff.

Save money, take the time, pack your own stuff in a large Penske and drive it yourself. Smartest thing you'll ever do!
Unfortunately for me not an option, I'm by myself and not going to ask my kids to come to FL to pack me up and move. Wish this was a viable option for me.

Personal items like important documents, family pics etc will be in my car.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 AM

Another question for people who have used long distance movers, your furniture, boxes etc are in a huge truck that holds the belongings of someone else, my worry, please don't laugh, BEDBUGS

Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 AM

73 posts, read 113,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Another question for people who have used long distance movers, your furniture, boxes etc are in a huge truck that holds the belongings of someone else, my worry, please don't laugh, BEDBUGS
njkate,

You should entertain quotes from Several moving companies. Stick with Larger Van Lines like United / Mayflower (Both owned by Unigroup), northamerican / Allied (Both owned by SIRVA), or Atlas (Owned by its Agents).

All movers have Good reviews, and Bad ones - regardless of how large or small they are - but its the Network, and how they handle issues when they come up that make them the better choice. If something gets damaged or destroyed, there are protections in place to protect you as the consumer.

Do not let the quoted prices be the determining factor with who you choose. Make sure you're comparing Apples to Apples. Don't be afraid to give a rep someone else's quote to look at.

Do not get a quote off of the internet. Have someone come to your residence to visit you, tour your house, and give you a customized quote. Everyone's situation is different - and this will give you some one on one time with a sales representative. All professional movers offer 100% free quotes.

Regarding bed bugs, I've been in this industry since 2002, and I've personally not had a single issue involving bedbugs - either at the customers house, or within our trucks. There are a lot of fabricated horror stories on the internet - i would refrain from reading these, but don't be afraid to speak to the sales rep about your concerns.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATVL View Post
njkate,

You should entertain quotes from Several moving companies. Stick with Larger Van Lines like United / Mayflower (Both owned by Unigroup), northamerican / Allied (Both owned by SIRVA), or Atlas (Owned by its Agents).

All movers have Good reviews, and Bad ones - regardless of how large or small they are - but its the Network, and how they handle issues when they come up that make them the better choice. If something gets damaged or destroyed, there are protections in place to protect you as the consumer.

Do not let the quoted prices be the determining factor with who you choose. Make sure you're comparing Apples to Apples. Don't be afraid to give a rep someone else's quote to look at.

Do not get a quote off of the internet. Have someone come to your residence to visit you, tour your house, and give you a customized quote. Everyone's situation is different - and this will give you some one on one time with a sales representative. All professional movers offer 100% free quotes.

Regarding bed bugs, I've been in this industry since 2002, and I've personally not had a single issue involving bedbugs - either at the customers house, or within our trucks. There are a lot of fabricated horror stories on the internet - i would refrain from reading these, but don't be afraid to speak to the sales rep about your concerns.

Good luck!
Thanks, great advise

Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post

Never, ever let movers move things like guns or valuables. You move them yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues