Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:56 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,487 times

Advertisements

I am about to get ready to sign a lease for a new apartment, but not sure if this is a practice that I should be weary of or suspicious. It's been a while since I have had to look for a new apartment.

The apartment I want requires no security deposit which is great. Like most, you have to fill out an application with an application fee. The interesting part is that they ask you to pay the application fee, move in fee, and first month's rent all in one when submitting the application. Is that odd?

I would think that you would apply, pay the application fee. Then if you get approved, sign a lease and that is when you submit the move in fee and first month's rent. Or is this common practice? I looked them up on Yelp on the have some mixed reviews. I saw one reviewer said that she filled out the application, payed the move in fee, and the first month's rent, only to have her application rejected. She is still waiting to get her money back.

I kind of feel like telling my agent I will gladly fill out the application and pay the application fee, but prefer to see if I get approved before I also send money for the move in and first month's rent.

What do you all think?

Old 04-22-2018, 01:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,818 times
They would not get anything but the application fee from me until I was approved, in writing.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:33 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
They would not get anything but the application fee from me until I was approved, in writing.
That’s how I feel. I very uncomfortable handing over $1700 dollars without a lease or any other contract.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:40 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
They would only get the app fee out of me . don't give in to this practice go elsewhere for an apt and contact the owners of the apartment building and tell them what happened . You can find the owners under the property appraisers office for that county or state and write them a letter or call them or email them whichever works for you . this guy could be a slumlord and taking peoples money and then he might disappear you never know . Good luck

Old 04-22-2018, 04:20 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Very suspicious. Don't do it.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
This is not the first time I've heard of this, but it is uncommon in most areas. Ask about it in the Renting forum, specify city and state to find out if it is common in that area. http://www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

I imagine some people might ask for all that out of greed or ignorance. One way to fight that is to refuse to pay it all up front. Landlords need tenants and if its made clear that asking for this is making them loose good tenant prospects, they will stop doing so.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post

I kind of feel like telling my agent I will gladly fill out the application and pay the application fee, but prefer to see if I get approved before I also send money for the move in and first month's rent.

What do you all think?
That's exactly what I would do. Just stick to your guns. I would.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 AM

88 posts, read 86,899 times
Not sure if I'd consider it to be suspicious or not. Probably.

It's definitely sketchy behavior though, & would probably feel unacceptable to me. Assuming there are other rentals available, I would probably try to go with a different landlord. But it depends on the vibe I get, too. Among other factors.

Btw regarding the application fee, I've never had to pay one of those for a rental. But, I also haven't rented a place to live in more than 20 years, so I'm obviously not up-to-date with current practices. Have application fees become the standard now? Is it maybe a regional thing, or is it common all over?

Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
This seems unusual. I have seen places that require the application fee and security deposit up front to hold the apartment when the inventory is limited. I have never seen anyone require the first month and the move in on top of those two items.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I am about to get ready to sign a lease for a new apartment, but not sure if this is a practice that I should be weary of or suspicious. It's been a while since I have had to look for a new apartment.

The apartment I want requires no security deposit which is great. Like most, you have to fill out an application with an application fee. The interesting part is that they ask you to pay the application fee, move in fee, and first month's rent all in one when submitting the application. Is that odd?

I would think that you would apply, pay the application fee. Then if you get approved, sign a lease and that is when you submit the move in fee and first month's rent. Or is this common practice? I looked them up on Yelp on the have some mixed reviews. I saw one reviewer said that she filled out the application, payed the move in fee, and the first month's rent, only to have her application rejected. She is still waiting to get her money back.

What do you all think?
I would love to hear how they justify this practice. I see some people say it's sometimes done, but I would just say no, no, and hell no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues