Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:54 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
$3,380 to date, by my estimate.
The OP is probably going to have to spend at least $1000-1500 a pop to get each storage unit to a new place on top of storage costs. So $6k minimum I would say on these items assuming he can get them out quickly. This makes no sense. Unless there were high end pieces in both units, which I doubt if someone can’t get up money for a deposit,, something has to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:14 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
OK, you live with relatives. Rent cost ? Food paid for? Utilities? You should be saving if you're not paying them a lot.

But in any case. LET THE STUFF GO. The only reason to have stuff in storage is for a plan to increase the space you'd have and then bring that stuff out to use the space. Seems you did it backwards....

I let go a lot of stuff that I KNEW I couldn't hang onto. It hurt to let it go (Sort of financially, but more emotionally) but guess what? I'm still alive and damn glad I did it.

Best of luck, but really, just quit paying on it and let them auction it off....

Old 07-24-2018, 12:23 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Get rid of everything in both of the units and stop the money drain.

You are spending more than it would cost to replace all of this stuff one day when you do get a permanent home again
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
$3,380 to date, by my estimate.
Plus the cost of gasoline, wasted time, and headaches from worrying. Too much stuff is a bad thing.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:50 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Plus the cost of gasoline, wasted time, and headaches from worrying. Too much stuff is a bad thing.
Yep, it’s the stuff that owns you, not the other way around. It owns you because there’s no easy way to either move it or get rid of it.

I’m moving stuff out of my house today but it’s actually merchandise that is the lifeblood of my business and generates income for me. I’m discarding as much of my personal stuff as I can, because it represents dead money.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 PM

34 posts, read 58,856 times
My thing is, if I just give it up to auction...that would essentially defeat the purpose of all this time storing things. Even if I store for 6 more months, and then take out: what would be the point of letting them auction everything off? Also, I recently took some items out of storage (including a 38" TV) and they all work and smell fine. Also had my favorite coats, lamp, different pillows I've collected taken out as I didn't want the humidity to get to them. Nothing is damaged. I also moved my 8x10 storage unit last year to a new facility. I thought everything was going to be ruined...yet everything was exactly as I had moved it in, because it's a dry climate and most times the storage unit would keep a cool temperature.

It's all about PROPERLY storing items. Some people I see have stuff piled to the ceiling. You can't do that. All of my stuff is stored to where I can walk around without stuff falling on top of me.

It's easy to say get rid of it, but I look at it like this: if I had an apartment and traveled like I did: I'd be spending more. Even its $3,000 I've spent, that's only 3 months rent in most places. I don't want to start back over when I get an apartment, sleeping and eating on the floor. It's also not as easy to just "buy everything over again" because when you move someplace, that takes time and the first few months moving in, is usually not the best time to make extra purchases. And I have to pay to live somewhere right? I mean...what was I supposed to do at the time I moved, got rid of everything? I tried that in the past to sell stuff when I moved: either people don't want it or it would take too long to sell in the short amount of time I had to move.

But I understand what all are saying. Also, the costs to move the items depending on where I move, could vary based on where I go.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:23 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Get rid of the furniture at least and try to get down to one unit. You can buy nice used furniture at an estate sale for less than the cost to store it.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post
My thing is, if I just give it up to auction...that would essentially defeat the purpose of all this time storing things. Even if I store for 6 more months, and then take out: what would be the point of letting them auction everything off? Also, I recently took some items out of storage (including a 38" TV) and they all work and smell fine. Also had my favorite coats, lamp, different pillows I've collected taken out as I didn't want the humidity to get to them. Nothing is damaged. I also moved my 8x10 storage unit last year to a new facility. I thought everything was going to be ruined...yet everything was exactly as I had moved it in, because it's a dry climate and most times the storage unit would keep a cool temperature.

It's all about PROPERLY storing items. Some people I see have stuff piled to the ceiling. You can't do that. All of my stuff is stored to where I can walk around without stuff falling on top of me.

It's easy to say get rid of it, but I look at it like this: if I had an apartment and traveled like I did: I'd be spending more. Even its $3,000 I've spent, that's only 3 months rent in most places. I don't want to start back over when I get an apartment, sleeping and eating on the floor. It's also not as easy to just "buy everything over again" because when you move someplace, that takes time and the first few months moving in, is usually not the best time to make extra purchases. And I have to pay to live somewhere right? I mean...what was I supposed to do at the time I moved, got rid of everything? I tried that in the past to sell stuff when I moved: either people don't want it or it would take too long to sell in the short amount of time I had to move.
Sounds like lots of convenient excuses for not dealing with the problem. "Stuff" creates it's own inertia both physically as well as emotionally. It forms a solid barrier in your mind. You either can't release it because it had monetary value and you resent losing control of it, you don't want to face the sheer work it will take, or you can't come to grip with the inability to face facts and make decisions. So it just sits even though you can't use it.

Speaking as someone who grew up with a parent who could never give or throw much of anything away. He felt that once he spent his hard-earned money on an object it was HIS forever, useful or not. I suspect for some people that "stuff" is a symptom, a physical manifestation of other things in life that never came to pass. Never satisfied, never resolved, always left wanting, unresolved regrets, denying realities.

OP I find it hard to believe that every item in those units is really something you can't let go of. This pattern could lead you someplace worse. Best to bite the bullet and at least whittle it down. The truth is, if it really was easy to get rid of it you wouldn't be here. You'd do what it took to sort it, release part of it, get the rest at least geographically closer to where you are now, and let the matter drop.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-24-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 03:06 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post

But I understand what all are saying. Also, the costs to move the items depending on where I move, could vary based on where I go.
So then keep the storage units?

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but I don't think I understand what you are looking for in this thread.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:27 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Now I don't know about any of this storage container stuff but If your living in one aren't you afraid of being locked in one while sleeping ?

Old 07-24-2018, 05:27 PM

599 posts, read 499,042 times
To put this in perspective, I'm nearly twice your age. I had a need to temporarily store all of my worldly goods, and well as my wife's contribution to the pile, as we had a delay in moving from one house to another. I rented a 10 x 25. When it was full, the perimeter was neatly stacked and the middle isle was empty. AS in, EVERYTHING we owned, moving from one 1400 sq. FT. home, to another, took up less than 2/3rd of that locker. IOW, I could of easily stuffed everything into a 10x15. Being single, at your age, you have a serious issue to deal with. You own FAR too much sheet, and it needs to be addressed. Your ongoing process of maintaining this hoard is killing you, financially, and impeding your progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues