Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:24 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Last summer I drove cross country on I-40. A lot of the rest stops were closed so don't count on them. Also, found it was wise to get gas when the tank dropped to 50%. Another idea, if you use your i-phone for mapping, turn it off between cities or places where you want to see the road names or else it runs out of juice too fast. As far as speed, I observed most of the traffic ran around 80.
There's a gas station almost 2 hours west of Albuquerque that doesn't have ethanol in their gasoline. It's the Flying J located off of exit 39. I always made it a point to stop there for gas. I made a trip from Amarillo to the LA area a few years ago. I went from there to damn near Victorville, CA before refueling again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 08:10 PM

435 posts, read 453,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Also, you may want to round up some audio books to listen to during those long hours on the road.
Definitely. I've got a few loaded up already

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
So far all of the responses have been about how to get there - my response is what to do before you leave and along the way:

I'm assuming the car is not brand new -

The Car:

Have the oil changed if it has not been changed in the last 5,000 miles
Ask your mechanic to inspect the car to make sure there are no issues - be sure he inspects the tires and the battery - you'll be traveling approximately 2,500 miles.
Carry an extra quart of oil and a gallon jug of water or antifreeze.

You:

Try to keep to a schedule of how many miles per day or hours you intend to travel. If you spent 14 hours one day, you may pay for it the next day and only drive 6 hours - so you might decide to only drive 10 hours per day to be fresh for the next day.

Be sure to keep snacks or food that will help you to stay alert - the boredom of driving long distances by yourself can be dangerous (put you to sleep).

Bring plenty of music as they may be areas where there is no radio stations or reception for your phone for streaming music.

When you're tired, pull over for a "power nap".

Keep friends or relatives aware of your progress in the event of issues along the way.

An AAA membership may be valuable if you breakdown on the highway.

Be aware of rush hour traffic by large cities that could add hours to your trip
EXCELLENT advice, thank you.

I'm driving a 2011 Subaru Outback that currently has 54,000 miles. While it's not new, it is in great shape and has been well maintained and it is the 3.6 liter engine, which is the most reliable of this generation Outback. I'll still be sure to take it easy and not push it day after day.

I've got the AAA membership, am having my mechanic (very trustworthy) check the car out this week, and already have a list of snacks to stock up on.

Love the idea of keeping track of the driving too. You're right that 14 hours day after day sounds grueling, and since my company is paying moving expenses I can get hotels every night and I don't plan on pushing it too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
There's a gas station almost 2 hours west of Albuquerque that doesn't have ethanol in their gasoline. It's the Flying J located off of exit 39. I always made it a point to stop there for gas. I made a trip from Amarillo to the LA area a few years ago. I went from there to damn near Victorville, CA before refueling again.
This sounds awesome. I've been on the 40 two hours west of Albuquerque several times and no doubt passed right by that station. If I find anywhere like it on my route I'll be sure to stop this time.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
If you are moving to Orlando get one of these now, so you can use it on your way to Orlando:
https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

Last edited by RMD3819; 09-05-2019 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 08:41 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I love Flying J's. Easy on/off the freeway. Lots of good snacks.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:46 AM

435 posts, read 453,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
If you are moving to Orlando get one of these now, so you can use it on your way to Orlando:
https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml
What's the deal with these toll roads? Are they common in Orlando? We have a couple of these around San Diego but I never use them and they're only really for 9-5ers trying to shave 5 mins off their commute. Is this different in Florida?

Old 09-05-2019, 04:17 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
What's the deal with these toll roads? Are they common in Orlando? We have a couple of these around San Diego but I never use them and they're only really for 9-5ers trying to shave 5 mins off their commute. Is this different in Florida?
It is in Orlando.....look at the Orlando map inset.
https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

If you really want opinions on the necessity-go ask in the Orlando forum.

If any part of your life takes you on I-4 you'll want an alternate route which usually means a toll road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues