Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:23 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Ask yourself this: if your house caught on fire and you had to run out with little time to spare would you care about taking your grandmother's porcelain dinnerware?
I can always keep service for one, or at least cup and saucer. I might make a little money from one of the places which sell discontinued patterns.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
I have nightmares, too, about moving, but not so extreme as your situation. 850 feet is very liveable with not much furniture . Good luck!

Is there any way you can keep the current place and also move into the new one? Pay double? I am thinking of doing this myself.
A lot of it's gone. My queen bed is too large for the bedroom, and my couch won't fit through the door. I have a gas dryer, and the new place will only take an electric. I have lists of names from craigslist of the people who want these things. No one wants to pay for this stuff because they have to move it. They take it for free, though.

I've sold some things, donated a lot, and thrown things out. I'm still going through a crunch period.

I've been staying in both places for over two months, and my last day here is the 22nd. Having both places has helped me a great deal.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I lived in a 700 sq ft apartment and was just fine there until I started working from home. The following year I moved into my first (and only) house--2B/2B 975 sq ft. LOVE IT! Of course I was coming from a smaller space and you are moving from a larger one, but almost 15 years later I'm still happy there and I think a large part of it is the floor plan. Plenty of light and the layout of rooms works well for me. I'd still be working from home if the job hadn't been outsourced.

I think you do become more aware of how much stuff you have when you live in a small place (or if you move frequently, as I did years before). I don't feel cramped/cluttered and really like how things are set up.

Do you like the place itself? I mean apart from the size? Is there light, yard/patio/balcony, nice general location?

I hope you find things to enjoy there and that you like it better than you ever thought you would.

Good luck!
I don't like the light, and it is perhaps part of the problem. I have a kitchen window - I haven't always - and it is on the north side of the building. That's the wrong side. I have only one bathroom. I guess I'll figure out what to do if my waste pipe gets blocked.

It's in a town with a less than stellar reputation, but I think that's more perception than reality.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Take cuttings of your hydrangeas. They will keep well in water for a while.
Thanks for reminding me.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:48 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Thanks for reminding me.
They also dry well. https://www.thegardenglove.com/how-t...ry-hydrangeas/

Old 09-05-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I grew up in a 2000+ sq ft house then moved into a 600ish sq ft apartment at age 25. Very refreshing how little I needed. Several years later, my fiance and I are living in a 1100 sq ft 2-bedroom apartment, and we are planning on downsizing to a 1-bedroom place (around 600 sq ft or less hopefully) when our current lease is up this year. The decluttering process has been extremely liberating, and we are actually looking forward to the smaller space.
Do you have, store anything at anyone else's house? My two older brothers and son did that for years.

I grew up in a house that wasn't very large, but it had a basement. That's where the furnace, freezer, and washer and dryer were located. Before there was a dryer, clothing hung on lines down there during the winter. Thank goodness that it was a dry basement.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Hang in there! I think you may find it freeing!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 PM

7,152 posts, read 4,557,147 times
I used to be very attached to my stuff. Now if my house is on fire I will take my dogs and I am good. No clue how I changed my mindset.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:07 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
When my husband was alive he was a bit of a pack rat. At one point when we moved from a house to a 2 bedroom townhome we rented 2 storage lockers for all the extra stuff. When he died 2 years later and I had to wait 6 months to start receiving his pension I couldn't afford to make the payments on the storage units. I eventually lost them. In them was my wedding dress, all my Creative Memories paraphernalia, a riding lawnmower, a beautiful garden fountain, all kinds of tools, etc. From the moment I lost all that stuff I stopped caring about material things.

Other than my pets & my photo albums there is nothing here that I would cry over if my house burned to the ground.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:41 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I grew up in a 2000+ sq ft house then moved into a 600ish sq ft apartment at age 25. Very refreshing how little I needed. Several years later, my fiance and I are living in a 1100 sq ft 2-bedroom apartment, and we are planning on downsizing to a 1-bedroom place (around 600 sq ft or less hopefully) when our current lease is up this year. The decluttering process has been extremely liberating, and we are actually looking forward to the smaller space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Do you have, store anything at anyone else's house? My two older brothers and son did that for years.
The first time? I had a storage unit (My parents had their own storage unit for their stuff), plus I had some belongings at my (now ex-) girlfriend's house. I only did so because I moved 1200 miles away and couldn't afford a moving truck at the time - could only bring with me what could fit in my car. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I really wish I didn't waste money on the storage unit. It was roughly $100/month (including the insurance), and I kept it for 27 months. Doing the math....the stuff in there was not worth anything close to $2700 LOL. The stuff at my ex's place? Yeah...not much luck on getting that back, but that's a tale for another time.

This time? If it can't fit in our new space, it's gone. We might store some stuff with family....might; that will only be an absolute last resort option. We don't like clutter, and we don't want to burden other people with ours. Our thought is that ultimately if stuff is going to just sit around or in containers doing nothing, what's the point of having it? Also, the storage unit game is a huge racket.

Last edited by BrianGC; 09-06-2019 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.