Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 3,553 times

Advertisements

I have already done Sunnyvale to Austin in my A5 took me 23hours of driving time and total 34 hours with a night stop between Tucson and el paso (Lordsburg). This time we plan to drive a truck with a towing car without having to take a long break with 3 drivers and make it in 36hours. Is it possible? I mean with car I sometimes did crazy speeds on the long dessert stretches but I know its not possible with a truck and towed car. But I am hoping I will be able to do 60-70MPH on non mountain terrain. With 3 of us we can take turns.

Another question was should I rent a trailer and tow it with my Cadi SRX or should I rent a truck and tow my car?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 09:41 AM

529 posts, read 490,460 times
Can you? Ya, maybe, as long as you are sleeping in the truck while the others are driving, and only stopping for fuel/food/bathroom, and the weather is good...etc. Google say about 24 hours, but that is usually very optimistic for that distance. I would add at least 4-5 hours on top of that for everything else.

The most you would want to do with towing a car is 65 mph. Towing with your Cadi, really depends on what size the trailer is, the smaller ones are okay. Your tow rating on it is 2,500 lbs, if I recall right (check your manual). If it was me, I would tow the Cadi on a trailer.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Can you? Maybe.

Should you? No.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:09 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
It takes many hrs of constant speed driving to get to 50mph average. So don't hold your breath on achieving 65 average just like that.
Any mountains will set you back a lot, as truck is rather scary to drive fast on mountain roads. I did it, I know. Lots of rattling, buffeting and leaning this way or that way.

Any time you get on the washboard stretches of FWY, it WILL slow you down, as you will be the slow moving vehicle and everywhere slower vehicles are to stay in the R lane. been there, was even pulled over for staying the L lane.
We moved with Penske truck and tow trailer, car loaded on it all 4 wheels.
With such set up, you Will be hugging gas stations every so many hours as mpg will be terrible. Back in 99, on then gas prices, trip from Seattle to Nashville cost us $460 in gas money only, towing.
Every gas station stop will set you back about 15 to 20 minutes, as everyone will also go pee and snack. My guess is, you'll be refueling every about 5 hrs.

I am safely betting that your average speed will be shy of 50mph.

I am more than curious, if I were wrong, but I drove across the country 6 times and drove from Seattle to Tracy CA about 30 times. I kinda have the gist of long hauls.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 3,553 times
Thanks for your replies, since we are three of us may be we would just drive a car behind the truck. Hopefully that will help better the milage and avg speeds. I hope to finish the journey next day late eve starting early 5AM day 1 and reach next day by 10PM.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:34 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogsun View Post
I have already done Sunnyvale to Austin in my A5 took me 23hours of driving time and total 34 hours with a night stop between Tucson and el paso (Lordsburg). This time we plan to drive a truck with a towing car without having to take a long break with 3 drivers and make it in 36hours. Is it possible? I mean with car I sometimes did crazy speeds on the long dessert stretches but I know its not possible with a truck and towed car. But I am hoping I will be able to do 60-70MPH on non mountain terrain. With 3 of us we can take turns.

Another question was should I rent a trailer and tow it with my Cadi SRX or should I rent a truck and tow my car?

Thoughts?
I would highly suggest that 2 people are awake at all times, and 1 person sleeps. It's very easy for a driver to fall asleep at the wheel at night time on long drives, especially in the desert, when other passengers in the car are also sleeping. Keep another person awake to keep the driver awake.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies, since we are three of us may be we would just drive a car behind the truck. Hopefully that will help better the milage and avg speeds. I hope to finish the journey next day late eve starting early 5AM day 1 and reach next day by 10PM.
This doubles driving time. Each person will be driving 24 of the 36 hours you plan. Brutal.

Why are you trying to do this on such a stupid timetable?

Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 AM

24,496 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Have you been in the cab of one of those trucks? How do you plan on one of three drivers sleeping?

Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Why are you in such a hurry?

Old 09-16-2019, 07:30 AM

529 posts, read 490,460 times
Quote:
If you are going to do it, try and time it so you are going through major area's at off hours. Construction, and even regular traffic equals nightmare. Especially in a large vehicle you are not use to.

We were all young and dumb at one time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues