Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:38 PM

146 posts, read 437,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I said "we would like to do some updates in OUR home as well" and she corrected me and said 'well,it isn't actually YOUR home right now"... talk about wanting to crawl under a rock..
What a snob! I would have told her off. I'd been like, well its my money and can do as I please!

However, she is right to an extent. I know this is off topic but, having experienced living in a rented home with my family, we did quite a few touches here and there...nothing major, but enough to make a difference to how it looked.

After living there for 3 years, the 'owner' decided to sell the house and all the 'work' we did ended up being wasted. And the selling price wasnt reasonable at all so we didnt buy. That was 3 years ago. Tragic experience for us. Also, dont buy into their "oh we wont be selling it right now" statements. Thats the same lie we heard, and by the end of the summer it was on the market

Now, I look back and am glad I left that ****ty town anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM

31 posts, read 93,082 times
Default recession

I know with the job market and nothing being certain that buying can be scary, but if you have a somewhat stable or "recession proof" job, wouldn't it be a good idea to buy a house right now? Because eventually the value of homes would go up again right? If the circumstances are right, I am just curious about what other people think of this philosphy?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
The housing markets in bubble areas will improve once they are based in reality again. Housing shouldn't cost more than 2.5 times your gross income. I wouldn't buy a house in a deflating bubble market yet. Most are falling back to reality, but haven't bottomed out yet.

However, if you are moving to a place that was never involved in idiotic speculation, then it might be a good idea to buy a house if you want to and if you are financially ready to. Houses should not be bought as an investment, rather as a place to live and a long term place to live like that. I think the days of basically leasing a house from the bank to move every 1-3 years are over.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,435 times
Default Relocating to ATL from the BX

I need some help I have 3 kids and a husband and we are trying to come to GA to live this summer. I am a NYC public school teacher and I went to a job fair in GA lsat week and the prospects of me finding a job looked kind of grim> Now I am getting scared!!!! Is there any advice out there for me? Should I give up? Or should I go?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Don't know the answer, but as a person who has moved several times in her life, my gut instinct says rely on common sense! If you can't secure a job in GA, i.e. signed a contract, before you leave, than don't move.

No Job, No Relocation.

If you want to put some feelers out, then go ahead and rent a small house or cottage for a month, and take a vacation and see how it feels and try to visit schools that have summer classes.

The recession is not going anywhere for several years, so, if they need teachers now, they will need them next year.

imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moetatiya View Post
I need some help I have 3 kids and a husband and we are trying to come to GA to live this summer. I am a NYC public school teacher and I went to a job fair in GA lsat week and the prospects of me finding a job looked kind of grim> Now I am getting scared!!!! Is there any advice out there for me? Should I give up? Or should I go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues