Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 02:19 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times

Advertisements

First thing is to research the disability benefits and confirm through that agency/department that you will still receive them in the new state and how much it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 02:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
First thing is to research the disability benefits and confirm through that agency/department that you will still receive them in the new state and how much it will be.
I agree. You can not just assume that you will receive the same amount of disability, or even any disability payments at all. Also, check out if you are still covered by your current health insurance (especially if it a state Medicaid or low income insurance).

It would be terrible to move cross-country and discover that you do not have any income or health insurance in your new city.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:53 PM

6,827 posts, read 11,556,490 times
Ditto advice on benefits. Especially health care...I assume you are Medicaid.

It’s not clear to me if you are living with others right now - who will remain there, or if you are vacating the unit completely. If the latter find out what sort of notice you need to give before vacating.

Use trash bags to pack clothes like underwear, socks, tee shirts, pajamas, etc.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:35 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,702 times
Since you've never moved long distance before have you ever been to Florida?
Tampa is among the leaders in terms of humidity in the summer. Well, actually late April through October.

The Sierras sounds pleasant but convenient healthcare may be lacking. Florida does have a pretty good to decent healthcare system in my experience compared to California. Plus, people seem more real.
Yeah, so all you should take are your necessary clothes, your personal documents, your laptop/ipad and you're set.

Other items you can't part with can be shipped bulk rate via UPS or USPS.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:59 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,339 times
Re: Disability assistance: here are a few resources. It looks like it will take a few months for disability benefits to kick in and you may be denied the first time. I could not find "length of residency" requirements but count on that to possibly further delay benefits.

https://m.wikihow.com/File-for-Disability-in-Florida

Disability Determinations | Florida Department of Health

https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/g...epartments/ada

Using trash bags packing your clothes and bedding is an excellent idea if your friend is willing to pick you up and drive you back to Tampa. There are plenty of thrift shops in the area where you can pick up additional clothing cheap. You won't need much. "Winter" as such is virtually non-existent here. It has dipped into the upper 30s in the area but that's been at night. Plan a fall wardrobe for winter months, i.e. light puffy jacket, jeans, sweatshirts/sweaters--best to dress in layers as by the afternoons it could get quite warm. You can get by without boots. Mentally prepare yourself NOW to face the wicked humidity during the summer months! If you have a Facebook account sign up for Tampa buy/sell groups to find furniture and kitchen stuff cheap/free. Find a church in the area or other community service organizations that do charitable work to help you out.

Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:57 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Get rid of pretty much everything, ship what you're keeping, and fly instead of drive.
I moved from the mainland to Hawaii, then back again 12 years later. I shipped only six boxes on the way back.

An option for shipping is to find someone going your way with room in their truck and pay them to deliver. I believe there are websites to find such people.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 PM

11,114 posts, read 7,174,871 times
That's an awfully big list of matters to attack for such a move.

I can only summarize the big points, which would need to be broken down into smaller points:
1) confirm that it makes sense to move to Tampa (and not some other area)
2) ensure where you are moving to (Tampa or otherwise) doesn't have bigger issues than where you are now.
3) educate yourself on where you are moving, to line up a job, place to live, etc.
4) research/determine how much money you'll need for such a venture, with a backup emergency plan should you run out of money
5) after all the above have been done, sell as many items as you have to obtain money and lighten your load
6) do lots of research on the logistics of the big move

Plan it all out, with as many steps and details as necessary to make it work. If it doesn't add up, or you get stuck on a point, don't move yet, until resolving it. Don't underestimate the chances of a very alien world in your new location, it is is far beyond your roots and familiar region. You might jump out of the frying pan into a worse fire.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:12 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamwood View Post
So, long form version of this story is, I am in a pretty bad situation where I'm living now. I want to move to Tampa FL, which is on the opposite coast of where I am. I have somebody willing to be a roommate if I can get over there and get my disability benefits in place. The monthly payments are doable with a roommate, same with utilities, and the place is in an area I like. I'm desperate to get out of where I am, to the point of considering crowdfunding moving expenses so I can get going early. I can't work, so job hunting is entirely out of the picture for me.

The issue I'm running into is...I've never made a move on my own before, much less one so far away. I have no idea where to start, what things to look at first, what to get lined up well in advance and what to leave until I'm ready to go. Most of the things I've read on the subject focus entirely on making sure you like the area and visiting/touring for a while so you can put in applications, which I physically can't do.

I guess the questions I have are...
Where in the world do I start with regard to moving?
Is there an order I should follow when looking into things?
What are the most important things to look at when I'm doing those things?
Quote:
I'm basically living out of my bedroom currently. I don't currently have a pet or a vehicle, and I was planning on leaving most furniture behind because it's a lot of large things I won't be able to move on my own. I'm definitely planning on downsizing either way, and getting rid of things I won't particularly need that isn't (mostly small kitchen) appliances, clothing, blankets, or particularly sentimental.

I can't drive, and my potential roommate has said they would be willing to fly over and drive either a uhaul or a minivan if I can manage either of those.

Living out of a bedroom means you don't really need to haul that much stuff so instead of having them fly over to drive back a vehicle, just have you fly there and only take as much as you can on the plane. Paying for a couple extra bags on the plane is a lot less expensive than driving cross country with a rented vehicle. For small heavy stuff, you can use flat rate USPS boxes. They also have a media rate for books and media, but don't mix in anything else or it will be charged a much higher rate. (A library card is a much easier way to move a lot of books, though.)

See if you can sell your furniture and then set that money aside to buy replacement furniture when you get to Florida. Florida has a fairly transient population and there's lots of thrift shops and flea markets so you'll be able to get new furniture at hopefully a similar price to what you sold yours for. Get boxes (airlines will take boxes, it doesn't have to be luggage) and box up the things you want to take. Start with what you really want first. Check the airlines baggage rules and stay within the quantity and weight limits. Take a roll of packing tape (just one of those small ones) when you go to the airport in case they want to open the boxes when you check in. Then you'll be able to reseal the boxes. Airports have wheeled trolley carts, you can use those to move the boxes from the bus/taxi/shuttle to the check in counter. Sometimes you have to pay a dollar or two to use the trolleys. Some airlines have curbside check in so you don't have to do anything with the boxes other than get them to the curb.

Pack your most necessary and favorite things into the boxes and then see what's left. Hopefully the things left over are the things you can walk away from. If something has bad memories attached to it, leave it behind.

Does your potential room mate already have the house/apartment? Use that as the address to apply for social services in your new area. Ask the services you now get as to the requirements for moving to Tampa, they will hopefully know the details. Verify the details online, sometimes clerks at one place aren't overly familiar if the rules are slightly different at the new place.

Keep all your important papers (get copies of your medical records or have them accessible online somewhere) and any medications with you as carry on luggage if you fly. Does your bank have a branch in Tampa? Ask about how to access your money if it doesn't or transfer to a bank that does have a Tampa branch. If you have a cell phone, then the number will follow you.

So, you've got your favorite things in boxes that can fit on a plane. You've got your important papers, medicines and such in a carry on bag. Your finances can be accessed once you get to Tampa. You've arranged for your disability services to be transferred or transferable, same with your health care. Not much left to do other than go get on an airplane and meet your new room mate at the airport in Tampa. I'm sure they'd much rather pick you up at the airport than to drive cross country.

Not sure how well you know your potential new room mate, but it might be a good idea to get a few numbers of emergency places to go in case your new room mate doesn't show up at the airport. Any friends, relatives or other acquaintances in the area? Otherwise, get some numbers from the disability services folks, just in case you need a landing spot if your new room mate flakes out. Not that you'll actually need it, but an emergency 'Plan B' always makes 'Plan A' less stressful.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:51 AM

7,050 posts, read 6,305,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That should be your priority. Unless you are currently receiving benefits, which should be going to your bank automatically, you are assuming the roommate can & will pay your way until you do receive them. If you are just in the process, it can take a long time.

If the monetary situation is okay, then focus on what you will be taking. Figure out what clothes you will need and pack the out of season ones. For Florida you will need more warm weather clothes but you will still need clothing for cooler weather.

There have been great shipping ideas given. Check pricing and pick the best one, then set up a pick-up if you can't get the boxes to them.

As stated, there are a lot of things you can replace once you move. Dollar stores are great for a lot of different things.

There's a lot you haven't said, such as your car situation. If you have one, I'd suggest just loading it and going. If not, decide on Greyhound or the train, whichever is most convenient. Keep in mind that bus stations have more locations than train stations.

You can get a good discount with either if you schedule/book your date in advance. Ask for different pricing or check online.

I just re-read your post and it says you can't drive. That does mean that you'll have to choose alternative transportation. Good luck to you. I hope everything works out.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:49 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,186,114 times
Quote:
So, long form version of this story is, I am in a pretty bad situation where I'm living now. I want to move to Tampa FL, which is on the opposite coast of where I am. I have somebody willing to be a roommate if I can get over there and get my disability benefits in place. The monthly payments are doable with a roommate, same with utilities, and the place is in an area I like. I'm desperate to get out of where I am, to the point of considering crowdfunding moving expenses so I can get going early. I can't work, so job hunting is entirely out of the picture for me.

The issue I'm running into is...I've never made a move on my own before, much less one so far away. I have no idea where to start, what things to look at first, what to get lined up well in advance and what to leave until I'm ready to go. Most of the things I've read on the subject focus entirely on making sure you like the area and visiting/touring for a while so you can put in applications, which I physically can't do.

I guess the questions I have are...
Where in the world do I start with regard to moving?
Is there an order I should follow when looking into things?
What are the most important things to look at when I'm doing those things?

I have moved many places in my life - several times all on my own - and always got rid of everything accept the absolute necessities, used some of that to save up for next place, just got in a car, bus, or plane and then moved on.

Call ahead to the places/people you'll need. In your case, that would be SS Office in FL, utilities, phone/internet services, and all other services you use and will need once you are situated. Definitely learn the locations of doctors, hospitals, emergency services.

Get familiar right away with your food sources: grocery stores, delivery, food banks. Also banks, laundry facilities, clothing and supply stores.

Get familiar with all potential modes of transportation.

Prepare for unusual weather occurrences. Even in a warm climate, you will come across those times when it cold and drizzling, or maybe even a few flurries. ...oh yea... Florida. Well, hurricanes...

Not everyone can visit a place before moving there. Do as much research as you can on the internet and talk about with anyone you can (does your roommate live there now?), forums (such as this one), city government websites, and even the wiki sites can be helpful.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues