Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 08:19 AM

679 posts, read 879,698 times

Advertisements

We made it! The trip was unbelievably stress free. Zelda was a champ and after the first day settled down and slept most of the time. When we were ready to stop for the night we pulled over and used a hotel booking app to find a place to sleep. We never paid more than 79 dollars per room. As I mentioned before, I hired a driver. Not inexpensive, but roughly the same price as if I had shipped my car and flown with the cat. I was also able to bring more stuff with me. I had a soft sided pack on the roof. That was the only scary part - we drove through the derecho with 100 mph winds in Nebraska and Utah and that thing wanted to take flight! We made it from western Oregon to eastern Pennsylvania in four days. My driver was fantastic. And Pennsylvania is beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 08:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Coming into this thread late, but congrats on your successful move with your Siamese. Glad it was uneventful and relatively stress free for all. Hopefully lighter traffic due to the coronavirus helped.

I once moved from the West coast to the Midwest, then later to the East coast, with my two Siamese. The first time was driving in a packed sedan, where they rode in a carrier with the door open, and the second time in a small U-Haul with the same setup.

For both segments of the move across the country I drove with another driver, and we took frequent breaks to give them attention as needed. They were champs. I think it helped having two who were already bonded, as they provided each other with comfort and security on the long drive. Other than some initial meowing, they both settled down to quiet rest and some exploration along the way.

(When I moved back to the West coast from the East coast, we ended up flying them along with our new Lab)

Old 06-08-2020, 08:53 AM

22,356 posts, read 29,476,635 times
So glad you made it safe!! Enjoy your new home

Old 06-13-2020, 11:58 AM

260 posts, read 154,677 times
Wow. I am very happy for you and your kitty. I am glad you made it safely and hope you both enjoy your new home.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:03 PM

130,555 posts, read 12,148,053 times
Glad you & kitty arrived at your new home, OK.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:12 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,209,663 times
Good going, you should be and are inspiration to others who let their fear limit their actions. You had a plan, you prepared and followed through. I hope you are exited and thrilled to be starting a new chapter in your life and I wish you and your Kitty the best!

Old 06-13-2020, 02:46 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,542,010 times
& who couldn't love a cat named Zelda! Well done Tulippsy. May all your new adventures be grand.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:53 PM

19,833 posts, read 9,398,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
We made it! The trip was unbelievably stress free. Zelda was a champ and after the first day settled down and slept most of the time. When we were ready to stop for the night we pulled over and used a hotel booking app to find a place to sleep. We never paid more than 79 dollars per room. As I mentioned before, I hired a driver. Not inexpensive, but roughly the same price as if I had shipped my car and flown with the cat. I was also able to bring more stuff with me. I had a soft sided pack on the roof. That was the only scary part - we drove through the derecho with 100 mph winds in Nebraska and Utah and that thing wanted to take flight! We made it from western Oregon to eastern Pennsylvania in four days. My driver was fantastic. And Pennsylvania is beautiful!
CONGRATULATIONS! You are truly an inspiration!

Old 06-14-2020, 01:54 AM

734 posts, read 605,787 times
So great to hear the trip went so well! We completed our Oregon to Pennsylvania move about 2 weeks ago. Our UHaul had 3 out of six tires fail. With the last one we were stuck on the side of the freeway for almost 4 hours. UHaul is giving us a one half refund of our truck rental... guess it's only a half because only half of the six tires failed. Oy.

Anyway, we got here safe and sound and yes, Pennsylvania is lovely.

We're underway with our house hunting. We're Airbnb-ing in the meantime.

We've had this plan for almost 2 years, to make this move, and now it's all done. That feels like quite an accomplishment. Glad we could get something productive done in these COVID times where there is so much sitting at home and not doing much. We have been enjoying getting out for drives in the countryside and going on local hikes in the woods. Getting to know our new turf.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:59 AM

24,633 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Congratulations!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues