Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 07:56 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Myself and a good chunk of my family were once movers. Allied, Graebel, Bekins, Atlas, united and Global. Local, long distance, agent drivers, pool drivers. All pretty much the same, just different colored shirts.

You’re right AND so it has to come down to personal experience & customer service in your area. We went with the company who had friendly representatives AND answered our questions. We had confidence they would take care of us…instead of the gruff woman who just acted super annoyed we were moving. She should not have been in customer service & that’s what makes the difference IMO…plus the different colored shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 11:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
You’re right AND so it has to come down to personal experience & customer service in your area. We went with the company who had friendly representatives AND answered our questions. We had confidence they would take care of us…instead of the gruff woman who just acted super annoyed we were moving. She should not have been in customer service & that’s what makes the difference IMO…plus the different colored shirts.
So have you actually moved yet? Friendly reps are one thing but if those doing the actual work don't measure up it doesn't mean much.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So have you actually moved yet? Friendly reps are one thing but if those doing the actual work don't measure up it doesn't mean much.

We haven’t moved yet. We are waiting on the new washer & dryer to be delivered & installed in our new home. All the smart motorized blinds & shades are in tho.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:39 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
We decided on the moving company & have had them out for a quote! A little at how expensive it is. Now we just have to wait for the washer & dryer to be delivered & installed in our new home before we can plan what day! I’m super excited…I hope we aren’t waiting too much longer.

Thank you Norty! Tho I grew up in LAC, it will be the 1st time I have lived in OC or on the beach!
You're waiting on a washer/dryer install? Personally, we wouldn't have delayed a move for something like that. How quickly are they able to get you on the schedule once those are in?

Old 01-25-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You're waiting on a washer/dryer install? Personally, we wouldn't have delayed a move for something like that. How quickly are they able to get you on the schedule once those are in?

Tho we didn’t think we’d be waiting a couple of weeks after closing to get delivery or install on the W&D…AND we had to wait for the smart motorized blinds & shades to be installed anyway. It would be super nice to coordinate it all for one day but we are set up for next week. It still might not be installed…BUT if it’s at least delivered, that’s Ok. Tbh, it’s been a lot easier to work with the moving company so far than the appliance & cabinetry “contractor”? This was supposed to be finished before closing….but we had a super fast closing. We didn’t want to hold it up for this.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:14 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Tho we didn’t think we’d be waiting a couple of weeks after closing to get delivery or install on the W&D…AND we had to wait for the smart motorized blinds & shades to be installed anyway. It would be super nice to coordinate it all for one day but we are set up for next week. It still might not be installed…BUT if it’s at least delivered, that’s Ok. Tbh, it’s been a lot easier to work with the moving company so far than the appliance & cabinetry “contractor”? This was supposed to be finished before closing….but we had a super fast closing. We didn’t want to hold it up for this.
Yes, it's been a challenge getting many deliveries when promised and getting contractors due to all the supply chain issues. We've been waiting on one sliding glass door since August.

Congrats on the new home.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yes, it's been a challenge getting many deliveries when promised and getting contractors due to all the supply chain issues. We've been waiting on one sliding glass door since August.

Congrats on the new home.

Thank you….I couldn’t rep you again. AND the communication is worse because they are contractors for our builder so we are not direct customers & we already closed.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:36 AM

My update! I never thought I’d be so excited over a W&D…but it’s being delivered today!

Old 01-31-2022, 11:22 AM

609 posts, read 350,005 times
When I retired from the military, we had this rude mover (the boss) who was critiquing our furniture. We did not respond to his comments because as a family we were completely overjoyed to be transitioning out of the military after 20 years of moving. Later when my wife and I were able to relax we reflected and started to understand the gravity of his arrogance and rudeness. Luckily, we have critique forms!

Old 01-31-2022, 07:22 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
When I retired from the military, we had this rude mover (the boss) who was critiquing our furniture. We did not respond to his comments because as a family we were completely overjoyed to be transitioning out of the military after 20 years of moving. Later when my wife and I were able to relax we reflected and started to understand the gravity of his arrogance and rudeness. Luckily, we have critique forms!
I’m sure it was irritating/unusual to have a ‘rude mover’ critiquing your furniture - lol. Many moving companies encourage a tip for the movers; and since they expect/hope for such, they tend to be on their ‘best behavior’ in my experience - at least to the customer’s face. One may even be reimbursed for tipping relative to a corporate move/relocation i.e. it’s that common/expected. Personally, I’d go so far as to discuss it in advance so as to guarantee better service all-around.

His arrogance and rudeness only cost him, not you; that is, if you initially intended to tip him (and the other movers). People sometimes (are stupid enough to) shoot themselves in the foot.:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues