Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 3,820 times

Advertisements

We have a Yamaha C3 Grand that was originally built in early 80s (but fully restored) that I paid $11k for in 2017, I’ve been playing piano since I was 4 and have had quite a few uprights, and many digital keyboards in my life but this was the first time that I’ve ever been in a position to own a grand piano and I love it, my boyfriend jokes that he and I and the piano are in a polyamorous relationship.

We’ll be moving out of Texas before the end of the year and I am trying to think about what to do with it. I’ve become accustomed to having a grand piano in my house and I don’t think that I could go back to playing/practicing/composing on a digital keyboard, I could probably live with a nice upright but I would prefer not to. A lot of the advice seems to be that unless it’s a Steinway, Bosendorfer or Fazioli in great condition or something with great historical or sentimental value it’s better to sell and buy another one but at the same time the piano market is weird and I’m afraid that even if I sell it for 20% more than price that I bought it, I will have a hard time finding something without putting down another $10k or something, which just isn’t feasible.

What’s your experience been with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 11:49 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
If you really like it, why not go ahead and have it moved?

You don't need special piano movers, those guys are for $80,000 concert grands. Regular movers can do this. Actually, grands especially smallish ones are easier to move than uprights. Take off the pedal assembly and the legs and you've got a compact package, unlike an upright that always wants to fall over on you.

Obviously you'll have to tell the movers you've got a 5 foot grand piano, and they'll probably charge you a specific "piano charge".

Old 07-13-2023, 02:13 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
IMLE, musical instruments are individuals and quite personal. If you love the action, tone and other qualities of the one you have, why not move it? You might not find another you like as well. If you're sort of neutral about the piano you have now or it's just another big piece of furniture potentially worth $, maybe just the opposite.

Old 07-13-2023, 04:00 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I would certainly get a price to move it, and of course make sure you have a place to put it in your new digs - but I would lean towards moving it, as Parnassia noted instruments have some "personality" so it's not like a piece of Ikea furniture that you could replace like for like in your new place.

Old 07-13-2023, 04:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have moved two myself with help, in a 1972 El Camino, but they were just uprights. A grand is really another matter, and requires a bigger truck and more people, or taking it apart even to avoid damaging it.
You might find it hard to sell and take a big hit, costing you more in the end than a piano mover.

Old 07-13-2023, 04:09 PM

334 posts, read 520,024 times
You pretty much answered your own question, "unless it has sentimental value", which on this does. I would vote to have it moved

Old 07-13-2023, 07:41 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalvs View Post
We have a Yamaha C3 Grand that was originally built in early 80s (but fully restored) that I paid $11k for in 2017, I’ve been playing piano since I was 4 and have had quite a few uprights, and many digital keyboards in my life but this was the first time that I’ve ever been in a position to own a grand piano and I love it, my boyfriend jokes that he and I and the piano are in a polyamorous relationship.

We’ll be moving out of Texas before the end of the year and I am trying to think about what to do with it. I’ve become accustomed to having a grand piano in my house and I don’t think that I could go back to playing/practicing/composing on a digital keyboard, I could probably live with a nice upright but I would prefer not to. A lot of the advice seems to be that unless it’s a Steinway, Bosendorfer or Fazioli in great condition or something with great historical or sentimental value it’s better to sell and buy another one but at the same time the piano market is weird and I’m afraid that even if I sell it for 20% more than price that I bought it, I will have a hard time finding something without putting down another $10k or something, which just isn’t feasible.

What’s your experience been with this?
My experience has been that my piano goes where I go. Given that after my last move, it came down to a choice of having either a dining room set or the piano in my house, my dining room set now lives at a friend's house while my piano has a place of honor in the dining room.

It'll cost you extra to have it moved as most moving companies won't move a baby grand with fewer than four able-bodied humans (which is b.s. because my dad and a friend of his, who were both in their late fifties at the time, moved it to Pennsylvania from Ohio, but I digress...), but it's worth spending the money to have it moved, in my opinion.

Also, my piano has been messed up every single time it's been moved as movers, while they're primo at getting my piano apart and flipped on its side for the move, suck at putting it back together at the destination end. Since you'll be wanting to have the piano tuned once it's acclimated to its new environment, this might not be an issue so long as your tuner/piano tech knows what's going on with the piano (or not) before their arrival.

For the record: being a chain music store-branded floor model, my baby grand isn't nearly as nice as yours, but my dad gave it to me when I was a senior in high school so it has value as both a musical instrument and a sentimental token of my late father and our shared musicianship.

In short, if you're remotely on the fence about whether or not you should keep or sell your piano, do not sell it as I think that you'll regret it if you do so.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:37 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
We left our ancient upright in the house when we moved south. Once we were settled here we found a nice apartment size upright which my wife enjoyed playing.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:14 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
OP~ It sounds as if you have an emotional attachment to the piano. If that's true, then keep it, move it and enjoy it for many years to come. Since you're in Texas, no matter where you go, it won't be "far." Unless you're going outta the USA. This means you can probably get it moved anywhere in the lower 48 for $6500 or less.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:37 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You might find it hard to sell and take a big hit, costing you more in the end than a piano mover.
^this

I have had two relatives try to get sell/donate their very nice old pianos. No one wants them.

I would keep it if it means something to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues